Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-21, 02:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Its not faster once the its out of dedicated EV mode. It then just drives as a regular hybrid.
From what I read, if you just let the computer sort it out, it has enough reserves in the battery to always get the faster times. EV only mode is very slow on the RAV4. It's better as a hybrid with battery augmentation.
Old 02-13-21, 03:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Built Ford Tough is better.
Agreed. And my 2015 F-150 is now 6 years old and has 80k miles on it and is still solid. I did have a starter issue and a minor coolant leak(easily fixed in 20 minutes for $5) that caused less than a couple hours of downtime over that period. I'd buy it again for sure. I've had friends with newer Tacomas(2017 and 2019) that have spent a lot of time in the shop, and the 2019 ended up being traded in on a 2020 because Toyota wouldn't fix it.

Old 02-13-21, 03:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Agreed. And my 2015 F-150 is now 6 years old and has 80k miles on it and is still solid. I did have a starter issue and a minor coolant leak(easily fixed in 20 minutes for $5) that caused less than a couple hours of downtime over that period. I'd buy it again for sure. I've had friends with newer Tacomas(2017 and 2019) that have spent a lot of time in the shop, and the 2019 ended up being traded in on a 2020 because Toyota wouldn't fix it.
The Japan made Toyota stuff is better IMO

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-13-21 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-13-21, 07:15 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I have some new information on 780B program, aka new Tundra.

I got a new Job 1 date of October 4, 2021 via manufacturing scheduling, which matched what I claimed in 2019. However, another claim is that there might be a delay to Q2 2022 launch, in June 2022. That means a 6 month delay from December 2021 launch. Stay tuned, as I had eyes on the October 4, 2021 date on Friday. The other tidbit, I am verifying with as many contacts as possible.

2022 RAV4 MMC is also the same date. 2022 Avalon MMC Job 1 on July 5, 2021 and 2022 4Runner is August 2, 2021, ditto for 2022 Sequoia. MY 2023 are redesigns of latter. More to come.
Wasnt the Tundra already delayed for 10yrs? Then again, what's another 6mos if people waited 10 extra yrs already.
Old 02-13-21, 09:00 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

The Japan made Toyota stuff is better IMO
i bet most mechanics would agree with you. I’ve run fleets of Toyota’s and agree with you
as a ToyotaLexus owner with 5 made In Japan and one in USA I agree with you
Maybe with one exception the RX made in Ontario has actually been good

time will tell regarding the Tundra. This gen certainly isn’t as tough as the previous gen as per the oil company in town who runs them as operator trucks. They run about 100 and the latest rendition has not been as reliable as the previous gen. Hopefully the next gen is Toyota tough. If not I’m going back to an LX570 or an LC Or may just import my Diesel LC from Panama

it is however still a much better truck than Ram Or Chev. Ford is marking a decent competitor although I’m not a fan it’s still respectable
Old 02-14-21, 04:08 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

A V6 with dual-turbocharger is a non- starter on a truck. V8 or no go.

Toyota pulled that crap on the Lexus LS500..and look where the sales are.

Am on the LS400/LS430 forums and noticed the post on a V6...

Superb road isolation. The LS430 was the high water mark.

Rode in a newer Lexus sedan...and the ride was as stiff as most trucks. Torsional rigidity for seniors?....

The point being that Toyota has become like a neutered dog that just doesn't get it.

Hard to watch.

We need to be the customers here.

Build what WE the customers want OR please go away...

Old 02-14-21, 04:18 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE

Rode in a newer Lexus sedan...and the ride was as stiff as most trucks. Torsional rigidity for seniors?....

The point being that Toyota has become like a neutered dog that just doesn't get it.

Hard to watch.

the LS sales are low as the car is too tight inside. It went way backward in luxurious feel in the cabin. Most folks looking don’t even test drive them after sitting in them so they don’t even know what the power is or is not like. It’s not a nice car to sit in and that’s a none starter

back to the Tundra. Government is forcing the hand of automakers which is why they are going to a 6. If Toyota could and wasn’t restricted they’d have had diesel trucks on these shores for a long time and Chevy and ram would be no more.

your wise elected officials are protecting you and you don’t even know it....

Old 02-14-21, 06:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
the LS sales are low as the car is too tight inside. It went way backward in luxurious feel in the cabin. Most folks looking don’t even test drive them after sitting in them so they don’t even know what the power is or is not like. It’s not a nice car to sit in and that’s a none starter

back to the Tundra. Government is forcing the hand of automakers which is why they are going to a 6. If Toyota could and wasn’t restricted they’d have had diesel trucks on these shores for a long time and Chevy and ram would be no more.

your wise elected officials are protecting you and you don’t even know it....
Agreed, its the government's hand that is forcing out the V8, only reason Dodge has all those crazy HEMI V8 cars/trucks is they pay a bunch of cash to Tesla for carbon/CAFE/emissions offset credits(forgot the correct terminology for what Dodge is doing). Only reason Tesla makes $$$ on their automotive division is due to these huge 9 figure cash payments.

As for Toyota not offering a diesel in the US market, they damn well could have done it but chose not to. Since the 2007 EPA regulations, diesels have become uber expensive to design/produce to meet those requirements. They could have made an emissions compliant diesel with Toyota reliability, but they'd have priced themselves right out of the market. Or they could have done it the half *** way like the big 3 on their heavy duty diesels, where owners are susceptible to $5000 service bills for crap like a particulate filter right out of warranty before 100k miles. Or done like Volkswagen and just cheated/lied/conned the emissions test and you see where that got them.

So probably a good thing Toyota didn't do diesel in the USA, I will say Toyota is good at reading the tea leaves and knowing which market segments they can make $$$ in without whoring out their brand of reliability/quality/value.
Old 02-14-21, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
only reason Dodge has all those crazy HEMI V8 cars/trucks is they pay a bunch of cash to Tesla for carbon/CAFE/emissions offset credits(forgot the correct terminology for what Dodge is doing).
From what I can tell, it's more than that. Dodge sells a lot of Hemi Chargers/Challengers because there's still a lot of guys my age (Baby Boomers) who can't get their minds out of the Muscle-Car Era and are still trying to re-live their youth. I was a little different from most of them...I preferred the 60s luxury-cars to the muscle-cars. But I got to the point where I finally outgrew it, and saw how useful small crossovers can be in today's conditions.
Old 02-14-21, 07:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what I can tell, it's more than that. Dodge sells a lot of Hemi Chargers/Challengers because there's still a lot of guys my age (Baby Boomers) who can't get their minds out of the Muscle-Car Era and are still trying to re-live their youth. I was a little different from most of them...I preferred the 60s luxury-cars to the muscle-cars. But I got to the point where I finally outgrew it, and saw how useful small crossovers can be in today's conditions.
Totally agree with what you are saying, there is a a market for the old school V8 RWD performance car. And Dodge/Chrysler makes the best ones because you don't compromise style/room/practicality/refinement/ride/features, they stand as great cars even without the hellacious V8 power. You also need to make this type of car stylish, Chevy sold a few of the Holden Commodore, nee "SS" sedans, but nobody bought them despite their superior handling/dynamics/manual transmissions because the Dodge looked way cooler. The Chevy SS looked like a bigger version of that yawn inducing Malibu you rented on your business trip.

What I was talking about is the maneuvers FCA/Stellantius(ask your doctor if Stellantius is right for you) is doing behind the scenes on the regulatory front to skirt CAFE regulations(pay Tesla) Their passenger car lineup of Challenger/300/Charger/Pacifica minivan doesn't meet CAFE requirements.

Getting back to the point, unless you are doing some really creative stuff like paying Tesla, the V8 is dead from a regulatory perspective, both in cars and light duty trucks for future products. The thing is CAFE regulations don't apply to "heavy duty" 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, there is a cutoff of certain GVWR where fuel economy standards don't apply. If you've ever shopped for a heavy duty pickup, the window sticker is blank where it rates gas mileage. I'm betting unless regulations change, the big 3 will make all their full size trucks and suv's bigger/heavier to skirt fuel economy regulations entirely. It isn't that hard for the big SUV's either, Chevy/GMC used to sell 3/4 ton Suburbans that skirted fuel economy regulations, Ford had the Excursion that did the same.
Old 02-14-21, 08:09 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
thank you for your insider info! I thought the 4Runner was slated for a 2022 calendar year release not this year?? Did that get pushed up?
Sure! No it didn't, MY 2023. You'll start seeing spy photos in several months of both Sequoia and 4Runner prototypes. Tacoma mules will start running later this year, followed by verification builds next year. I was just mentioning it due to start of production of the last model year.

This year Guanajuato, Mexico takes over Tacoma production, as TMMTX starts testing the new Sequoia tooling this fall and then begins pilot units maybe next year.

Originally Posted by sdls
Job 1.. I remember a Ford advert in the 90s saying “Quality is Job 1” and it sounded kind of tone deaf. Now I know it’s a slick manufacturing engineering term used in new vehicle assembly. I guess “Operation Sequence 1730” isn’t as high-speed. Oh, sorry just heard the andon bell ringing, gotta take care of that right away! I’ll be back after doing some Kaizen stuff to eliminate muda and 5-Sing my work space!
Hmm, hehe. I guess it was tone deaf, when comparing a 1992 Taurus LX to a 1992 Camry XLE. I guess the fact that the Taurus had standard 4-wheel ABS and dual airbags, while the Camry didn’t was supposed to count for something in terms of "quality". Good thing that was changed, but Built Ford Tough only applied to trucks starting in 1998.

Let me not get my a** in trouble for spreading negative sentiment against my employer.

Originally Posted by jer
And would this also possible affect the GX? Or does anyone know if/when there will be a new GX? I've seen some videos on Youtube giving dates for model changes of the GX, RX, etc., but not sure how reliable they are.
That is still MY 2023 and I haven't said otherwise LOL. Someone misinterpreted words unfortunately. Nothing else is new beyond Tundra and Land Cruiser 300 (non USA) for 2022.

Built Ford Tough is better.
Agreed and...it's more honest. But you didn't hear that from me...
Originally Posted by EZZ
If you got that PHEV RAV4, it would be even faster than that Camry which is pretty nice. I think they need to add that powertrain in the Camry and the next Lexus NX.

If they update this Tundra, will the Sequoia also be updated?
Hehe, I don't want to sound like I am passing around new information LOL, but I believe a few of us announced at the end of 2019, the next generation Sequoia will enter production in the first half of 2022 as a MY 2023 vehicle at TMMTX outside of San Antonio.

News media and press releases have supported all of our statements on here during 2020. They also mentioned point blank in 2019, that the Tacoma is a 2023 or 2024 model. Ultimately, they went with MY 2024 just before COVID-19 shutdowns.

MPLexus aka Gecko on LE, said himself from Toyota USA intel privately in August 2019, alongside Tundra and Land Cruiser (hiatus), Next Sequoia = Evolutionary approach, but all-new underlying basis and power trains. Ditto for next 4Runner. A few months later in early 2020, I was told about clay models at CALTY by a modeler ("friend") and it was 100% the next 4Runner. No description of any styling details, just that it is pretty much a detailed mockup and how far along he was.

Same modeler was working on next Tacoma design in second half of 2020, readying it for some internal design review (maybe final approval at that stage?) It's not really new knowledge to me, as I already guessed before that, how the pace would go. I deeply understand product planning anyway in my expertise and work deeply with car design.

And not to mention, I have access to manufacturering timelines of all automakers in some capacity and word of mouth is always a thing between the competition. It's why some of what I say also cannot be trusted, since I am not a firsthand source for Toyota nor Lexus. I pass what I hear, not what I see firsthand (impossible, if not illegal) at any Toyota property.

Originally Posted by situman
Wasnt the Tundra already delayed for 10yrs? Then again, what's another 6mos if people waited 10 extra yrs already.
10 years? Hardly in the least. Ford took 11 years to deliver a fully new F-150 between September 2003 and December 2014.

The 2014 Tundra is very, VERY akin to the and was at least meant to last through 2017 and no less. Toyota USA either just respects their customers' intelligence (uh not really) or chose not to be cynical and chose to be honest about the it was still the same generation.

The P415 F-150 aka 12th generation was launched in December 2008, using an updated frame (named T1) of what was the P221 aka 2004 F-150 launched in September 2003.

The 2014 Tundra meets the same definition, yet Toyota opted to call it the 2nd generation Tundra still. Even though they still consider it a "redesign" and warranted a 6-7 year life cycle. 2018 Tundra was seen as a MMC and 2020 as a minor update, that sufficed when it seemed things were falling behind schedule. It was a MY 2021 redesign until 2018 when things slipped and the changes for 2020 (push button, AC/AA) were deemed sufficient.

Ford considered at the time, the 2009 F-150 another generation. Which is the same story for the 2021 F-150 (P702, Gen 14), launched last December.

P702 is based on an updated T3 frame, introduced in December 2014 on the 2015 P552 F-150.

Ram's "DS" truck (1500) launched in October 2008 as a 2009 model, is still in production. Its replacement 1500 "DT" barely went on sale around March 2018 and was the first Ram truck to move away from the popular "big rig" styling that Chrysler pioneered in October 1993 (designed 1989), to more reserved look. It's due for MMC next year for 2023MY. The "DR" Ram generation ran from 2001 to 2008, a 7 year run compared to the 22-year run of the original D-Series and T300 sold from 1993 to 2001/02.

Toyota is really 5 years late at worst, but is at risk of being obliterated by the next F-150 (that I will be involved in) if they keep delaying.

This recently new 2021 truck of ours is just a modus operandi stop-gap, that we do every other new generation. 2015 was a major redesign (like 2004), 2021 was a minor redesign like 2009. What arrives in 2026 is the single biggest undertaking ever at Ford Motor Company...but you didn't hear it from me...

Originally Posted by YODAONE

Hard to watch.

Totally agree with this, as I do get sick of being forced to "buy what we sell you". I passed over getting a GT500, opting for one of the last GT350s. Why? Hackett and co. (former boss) were adamant not to spend the extra money to beef up any existing Tremec manual transmissions for the amount of power/torque. And besides, I didn't care for the front end. It's disappointing when Dodge can offer the Hellcat with a manual and we can't be bothered for the GT500.

I am already mad that my 2021 Bronco 6MT is not a Sasquatch, unless I change my order to MY 2022. Plus the fact I had to deny myself the Nano TTV6 in favor of our 2.3L Ecoboost, because my fiancé's superiors refused to adapt the 7MT to the 2.7L.

The Tundra going V6 only is going to tick off a lot of Toyota faithful, that being the bearer of bad news on that front since 2019, I've gotten tired of them playing obtuse to that notification and acting like I am lying to them. Some of them are already demanding, that the TTV8 for Lexus go into the Tundra,, as if it won't cost $100k.

For all they know that engine costs $40k+

It might be anecdotal, but the majority of people I see driving those cars post 2015 are Generation Y and Z, sprinkled with a few members of Generation X on the younger end (40s). Not many baby boomers anymore as it used to be early on in the Charger and Challenger relaunch.

They have the youngest average age due to that group.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 02-14-21 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Stupid Voice-To-Text
Old 02-15-21, 08:58 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

If Toyota is that brain dead to start building trucks in Mexico, I’m done! Nothing but garbage comes out of Mexico car factories. This should also speak to the integrity (or lack thereof) of the company.
Old 02-15-21, 09:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Toyota has been building trucks in Mexico for years...
Old 02-15-21, 09:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I see a lot of younger people getting excited and driving new gen muscle cars from Chevy, Ford, Dodge/Chrysler, I kind of want one at times when I see them on the road especially after seeing what the current automotive landscape is like now.

I think the boomers want the actual 60's and 70's muscle cars they drove which is why the market for them on the used market/auctions/restoring them is still so hot.

As for the Tundra, going 6 cylinder only will be a big mistake, US market wants V8's, at least the option of them and it will be seen as Toyota giving up on that segment and no longer very competitive if they dump the V8.
Old 02-15-21, 10:59 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I see a lot of younger people getting excited and driving new gen muscle cars from Chevy, Ford, Dodge/Chrysler, I kind of want one at times when I see them on the road especially after seeing what the current automotive landscape is like now.

I think the boomers want the actual 60's and 70's muscle cars they drove which is why the market for them on the used market/auctions/restoring them is still so hot.

As for the Tundra, going 6 cylinder only will be a big mistake, US market wants V8's, at least the option of them and it will be seen as Toyota giving up on that segment and no longer very competitive if they dump the V8.

I don't know that going V6 is a mistake. Ford is still the sales leader, and everything I've heard suggests that the V8 makes up 25% or less of F-150 sales at this point. The Ecoboost has been on the market for a decade now and has proven itself. More torque than the V8 and at a lower RPM which makes it ideal as a truck engine.

Quick Reply: Future Tundra