Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 10:49 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Tundra, the truck that changed it all & then refused to ever change again
So true, Toyota gave the big 3 a pretty swift kick in the nuts back in 2007, then did NOTHING to improve on that(personally I like the 2007-13 body style better). Meanwhile Detroit dumped A TON of development $$$$ into this highly profitable segment, produced 6 new clean sheet designs while Toyota is still rolling the same damn truck since 2007.
Old 05-18-21, 08:07 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

New teaser released today

Motor Trend Link
Attached Thumbnails Future Tundra-2022-toyota-tundra-teaser-image.jpg  
Old 05-18-21, 08:36 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

Motor Trend Link
THIS is supposed to get me to buy?? They are years behind! Just release the damn thing & stop teasing! There are no other trucks to be had, for the most part. I think Toyota’s better days are behind them if they don’t release this truck really soon. This chip shortage isn’t going away for many months.
Old 05-18-21, 08:39 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

THIS is supposed to get me to buy?? They are years behind! Just release the damn thing & stop teasing! There are no other trucks to be had, for the most part. I think Toyota’s better days are behind them if they don’t release this truck really soon. This chip shortage isn’t going away for many months.
Agreed. Very slow to update models. I am waiting for new Tundra, Sequoia and LX. All dated. I am hopeful, but my interest is fading due to inability to update in a somewhat timely manner. 10+ years is way too long in today’s world.
Old 05-18-21, 08:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Toyota released the last gen Tundra at the peak of the economy at the time....once the economy nosedived, Toyota Tundra flopped....LOTS of money lost on that huge Texas investment which at the time also included Indiana production.....boy were they wrong...Toyota spent considerable money moving Tacoma production to Texas and cancelling Tundra-Indiana for the Highlander... So, Toyota decided to wait out an economic downturn as recent economy was red hot and some claim is what the greatest economy in the history of America, waiting till the economy starts to improve and Covid is in the rearview mirror....Toyota will be in the prime position to release the new Tundra, 4Runner and a new Tacoma.....Toyota posted incredible profits last qtr from this strategic wait. The new Tundra will do better this time around but will not increase their sales figures...Toyota is after profit.
Old 05-18-21, 11:35 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

LexsCTJill - I mostly agree, but have you seen many Toyota dealers in the last 2 weeks? They are bare! Nothing but used cars & a few new that haven’t sold yet. I was shocked. Same for Ford F-150/F-250s / there are none being shipped. What’s on the lots is all they can sell. Somebody isn’t going to survive this. One cannot built a new chip factory in a month. They are very complex factories. People want trucks! Toyota needs to have most of their eggs in one basket right now. Ford has managed to survive without making sedans. People want trucks & SUVs. I would jump on a new GX if they would just update the infotainment system for AppleCarPlay. I can’t believe it’s still not offered! My Camaro SS in not luxurious, but it’s purposeful. Everything is simple & works pretty good. The AppleCarPlay seems to work very good & I didn’t want factory navigation. The magnetic ride control is awesome. My point is Toyota needs to get off the pot. Their reputation has shifted from dependable to a crotchety old man I-refuse-to-change mindset. I’m not an impulse buyer. I research & ponder. If a manufacturer doesn’t have what I want, I keep looking. I’m an anomaly, as most people impulse buy vehicles. So if Toyota can meet my needs or the needs of most impulse buyers, whose needs are the meeting? That’s a cardinal rule in selling, by creating & meeting a need. Right now, in this horrid economy, some profit, even if it just keeps the lights on, is better than no profit.
Old 05-18-21, 07:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

People want trucks! Toyota needs to have most of their eggs in one basket right now. Ford has managed to survive without making sedans.

People want trucks & SUVs. I would jump on a new GX if they would just update the infotainment system for AppleCarPlay. I can’t believe it’s still not offered! My Camaro SS in not luxurious, but it’s purposeful. Everything is simple & works pretty good
I agree people want trucks. Not sure people in America really want Tundra. Toyota sells 2 million or vehicles in the US per year. 100,000 are Tundras. That said, yes Tundra is 13 MYs old but Tundra is not quite their strength . I also agree that Apple car play should be on the GX. My 21 4R has it. But personally I do not use it, I only used it just once when I first got it.

I think you said you once had a Tundra?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-18-21 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-19-21, 09:25 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Kinda disappointing if it only shows up with the V6TT from the LS500. Any proper full size pickup needs a V8 option, if they care to compete. The 5.7L V8 destroyed almost everything in its path.
Old 05-19-21, 09:48 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Kinda disappointing if it only shows up with the V6TT from the LS500. Any proper full size pickup needs a V8 option, if they care to compete. The 5.7L V8 destroyed almost everything in its path.
The original Tundra V8 was a modified LS V8, so it wouldn't be a surprise if the new Tundra borrows the LS V6. If so, I imagine it will be modified for greater torque, and will be comparable with the big-three's base-V8 offerings in both HP and torque. While I wouldn't trust an American turbo, I would trust a Toyota turbo. Compromises, like foregoing V8's, will become inevitable as time and climate change marches on. Of course, the Tundra was never conceived or designed to compete with any of the big-three's heavy duty pickup offerings, and I expect that to continue.
Old 05-19-21, 12:28 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
The original Tundra V8 was a modified LS V8, so it wouldn't be a surprise if the new Tundra borrows the LS V6. If so, I imagine it will be modified for greater torque, and will be comparable with the big-three's base-V8 offerings in both HP and torque. While I wouldn't trust an American turbo, I would trust a Toyota turbo. Compromises, like foregoing V8's, will become inevitable as time and climate change marches on. Of course, the Tundra was never conceived or designed to compete with any of the big-three's heavy duty pickup offerings, and I expect that to continue.
The current gen was, they even unveiled it at Texas during a hockey game if I remembered correctly. The C channel frame ultimately doomed it when everyone else had fully boxed frames.
Old 05-22-21, 11:16 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

The current gen was, they even unveiled it at Texas during a hockey game if I remembered correctly. The C channel frame ultimately doomed it when everyone else had fully boxed frames.
Originally Posted by Carmaker1
So, as for the Tundra. It has yet to be seen when it will be revealed.. Since there are no auto shows, Toyota will likely wait and do a reveal similar to the Sienna and Venza, later this year. I was confident that dealer teaser had nothing to do with the Super Bowl, as Toyota has never operated like that.

Toyota don't reveal products in commercials, at ALL. Someone mentioned the '07 Tundra being revealed in a Superbowl ad, but clearly forgot that it was revealed in February 2006 at the Chicago International Auto Show first and then went on sale in January 2007.

https://youtu.be/ADNWJgTGAu4

The 2007 Superbowl did feature the Tundra, but it wasn't a reveal. It was to let truck buyers know, it's out there and to head into their nearest Toyota dealer.

https://youtu.be/R9jaOROeYII
As I mentioned a few pages back, the current Tundra was revealed in February 2006 at the Chicago International Auto Show, like the second generation Tacoma in February 2004, like the February 1998 & Feb 1999 Tundra reveals.

In the 2000s, Toyota was still deathly afraid of revealing a competing truck here in the home of US competition and opted for Chicago or LA as a more neutral setting.

There was no hockey game in TX or anything similar where Toyota unveiled anything Tundra. The updated 2014 was revealed in February 2013 in Chicago as well. They changed that with the 2016 Tacoma.

As for scheduling...

December 2021 will be the 2022 TTV6 version, allegedly followed by the hybrid in spring 2022.
Old 05-23-21, 07:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The C channel frame ultimately doomed it when everyone else had fully boxed frames.
yeah...the C channel frame missed the market trend at the time. Toyota tried hard and called it the triple tech frame which they do not refer to anymore. Recession also helped kill the truck sales as well. Marketing was not great with the “Truck that’s changing it all”.

Tundra still has its merits. Won Motor Trend truck of the year that year. Double cab was a pretty well thought out design.

Domestics just do full size trucks better.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-23-21 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-23-21, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
yeah...the C channel frame missed the market trend at the time. Toyota tried hard and called it the triple tech frame which they do not refer to anymore.
I never did understand the sense of the C-Channel design. How professional engineers could not figure out that it would not have the same strength as a fully-enclosed box-rail/ladder-frame is beyond me. That would have been obvious to secondary grade-school science. The only thing I can think of is that, perhaps like with the Ford Pinto, management put pressure on the engineers to use as little metal as possible in the vehicle's structure to keep weight and cost down.

Domestics just do full size trucks better.
In general, correct, but the Ram has had reliability problems. It makes up for it, though, with its luxury-grade comfort and refinement.
Old 05-23-21, 10:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I never did understand the sense of the C-Channel design. How professional engineers could not figure out that it would not have the same strength as a fully-enclosed box-rail/ladder-frame is beyond me..
Toyota knew that. Toyota had fully boxed frames for their trucks in the late 80s and early 90s...but when they started with domestic development, they went C-channel to save $$$
Old 05-23-21, 12:25 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

Motor Trend Link
I am not sure what they're doing, but I imagine this teaser was to pre-emptively rain our Ford parade, as Toyota definitely should feel threatened by Powerboost and Lightning. This truck needed to be here years ago, but of course you know way more than I do about that. I swear that this truck was supposed to be redesigned last year and somehow became 2022, now becoming early 2022 for some variants. I imagine a June or July reveal.

Quick Reply: Future Tundra