Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-21, 07:20 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota knew that. Toyota had fully boxed frames for their trucks in the late 80s and early 90s...but when they started with domestic development, they went C-channel to save $$$
I don't really get all the negative attention to the c-channel frame. Yes, it is inferior to a fully boxed frame, but, the Tundra is fine for it's intended purpose--a 1/2 ton pickup. It wasn't designed to compete with the big three's heavy duty pickups. I haven't experienced any negative affects of the frame in my 2001 Tundra, and I have overloaded it on several occasions. The frame held up just fine and the truck performed admirably.

Are there accounts of the c-channel frame folding under extreme loads? I've seen the video of the Tundra wobbling while subjected to just the wrong suspension challenges on Ford's test track, but nobody experiences these kinds of conditions in real life. Too, I'm sure Ford designed that part of the course with the intent to embarrass Tundra, as Ford was afraid Toyota would intrude on their coveted F150 market.

Tundra's strength has always been its reliability, and it's still on the top of the heap. The big three are "big loosers" with below average-to-poor Consumer Reports reliability ratings, while Tundra is rated above average-to-excellent. I can live with the c-channel frame as long as the truck is on the road and not in the repair shop!

Last edited by Wilson2000; 05-24-21 at 12:47 PM. Reason: left out word
Old 05-24-21, 06:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember reading this interesting comparison of Frame types.

https://www.treadmagazine.com/featur...-versus-boxed/
Old 05-25-21, 04:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I don't really get all the negative attention to the c-channel frame. Yes, it is inferior to a fully boxed frame, but, the Tundra is fine for it's intended purpose--a 1/2 ton pickup. It wasn't designed to compete with the big three's heavy duty pickups. I haven't experienced any negative affects of the frame in my 2001 Tundra, and I have overloaded it on several occasions. The frame held up just fine and the truck performed admirably.

Are there accounts of the c-channel frame folding under extreme loads? I've seen the video of the Tundra wobbling while subjected to just the wrong suspension challenges on Ford's test track, but nobody experiences these kinds of conditions in real life. Too, I'm sure Ford designed that part of the course with the intent to embarrass Tundra, as Ford was afraid Toyota would intrude on their coveted F150 market.

!
I don't think the C-channel frame poses and risk of folding or anything. However, the entire pick up truck industry (including Toyota out side of NA) has went to fully boxed set ups. I just figure Toyota should probably match what their domestic competition is offering. Toyota Trucks in North America prior to Tacoma and Tundra were fully boxed while the Domestics were c-channel for a while
Old 06-18-21, 11:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Leaked pictures on tundras.com

https://www.tundras.com/threads/fina...e-it-is.90777/
Old 06-18-21, 12:30 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree people want trucks. Not sure people in America really want Tundra. Toyota sells 2 million or vehicles in the US per year. 100,000 are Tundras. That said, yes Tundra is 13 MYs old but Tundra is not quite their strength . I also agree that Apple car play should be on the GX. My 21 4R has it. But personally I do not use it, I only used it just once when I first got it.

I think you said you once had a Tundra?
Somehow, I missed replying to this post. Sorry about that. I bought a new Tundra SR5 Double Cab with the TSS package in 2006. That was a great truck that went with the ex wife. I should have bought it from her instead of letting her trade it in for a RAV4, but that’s 20/20 hindsight. We never had anything major go wrong with that truck & it got decent mpg with the small V-8. There is no way in hell I would buy the current behemoth model. It’s an overgrown, thirsty beast that doesn’t fit my needs whatsoever.

Once upon a time, I bought a brand new Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn & that truck was a pile of crap from the minute I drove it off the lot! It was gorgeous & quiet. In two years, it spent over 200 days in the shop & was getting worse by the minute. I’m amazed that whatever FCA is calling themselves now, is still in business. I simply can’t describe how horrible that ownership experience was. The truck never got even close to the EPA mpg, it had severe emissions issues, exhaust issues & constant electrical gremlins from hell. Instead of FCA stepping up & trying to fix that turd, they kept offering all sorts of extended warranties. They couldn’t fix anything on the bumper to bumper warranty, so why would I want the extended warranty?! Some dealers had actually refused to service the truck. FCA service is like having a caveman work on a computer - morons. I lemon lawed that turd. I haven’t found an economical truck yet, that’s worth the crazy cost. I don’t haul a lot, but I do tow a large motorcycle trailer & I live in the southwest & absolutely must have cooled seats. The new Nissan Frontier has my complete attention…if it ever comes out like the Tundra keeps promising.

I like the turbo V-6 idea, but my RX 450h really doesn’t peg any mpg contests. It’s not really close to the EPA mpg either, but it’s fairly reliable, but not excellent like my Tundra was. Unless Toyota did some amazing weight-shaving feat, the new Tundra will be lucky to crack 20 mpg unloaded. Loaded & towing, it will be back down to its familiar low teens mpg. Here’s a novel idea: why not make it more aerodynamic to help improve mpg?! I haven’t heard of any issues with Tundras having frame issues. I severely overloaded mine, more than once & it was fine. It’s just been so long & painful getting here, that I have lost confidence in Toyota. Too bad the Lexus LS can’t tow - I would be all over that car! Will I look at a new Tundra (if it ever gets here)? Absolutely! Will I buy one? Maybe, but I’m very doubtful. It’s just too far behind in tech & usefulness for me. A small, comfortable & economical pickup is what I want & the Taco ain’t even close. The Honda Ridgeline is out. That’s all the reliable small trucks. I’m impressed with the Ford F-150 electric truck that was just tested last month. I could actually drive out of the state of Texas on a single charge with that truck & the price was WAY better than GM’s 3.0 diesel Duramax. That engine really impressed me, but the price was over $70k! No thanks. No ½ ton truck is worth that kind of money - none. In my opinion, this is an awful time to buy a vehicle. The inventories are horrible & someone is going to go belly up very soon over the microchip shortage. My local Toyota lot is COMPLETELY BARE! Nothing but used cars. Toyota better get their poop in a sock if they intend to sell something.

Last edited by gadgetman1; 06-18-21 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 12:56 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Front: It’s OK - WAY better than a Chevy!

Rear: Dear God, what kind of filthy animal left “TURD PRO” on the tailgate?!
Old 06-18-21, 01:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I've been watching this closely but have pretty much decided to go with the outgoing Tundra as I want one last V8. The Tundra I have reserved came in yesterday, so if all goes well I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 06-18-21, 02:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Congratulations!! Trading the Tacoma?
Old 06-18-21, 02:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Front: It’s OK - WAY better than a Chevy!

Rear: Dear God, what kind of filthy animal left “TURD PRO” on the tailgate?!
I guess I’ll have to wait to see it in person. From what I see the red front and does not look good . However the side profile in the black colour looks pretty good. I’m not quite sure if that embossment on the back tailgate is going to be good. But will have to see it In. person.

I truly hope they get the fully box frame thing in this truck
Old 06-18-21, 02:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congratulations!! Trading the Tacoma?
Thanks!

As much as I have LOVED the Tacoma and will be sad to see it go, we've recently realized it's just a bit too small for the family and the dog. It's also pretty strained, or at least not relaxed, to pull our travel trailer and I want to be able to loaf along the freeway in an easier fashion than we can in the Tacoma. V8 FTW, baby! The only disappointing thing is that Tundras (like all new cars) are super hard to get right now. I reserved this incoming one a while back as it is the closest they could get to the configuration that I really want, but it's not exactly how I want it. I'll see it in person tomorrow and can still back out if I decide I want to try for a different color and trim level.
Old 06-18-21, 03:15 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Here’s a novel idea: why not make it more aerodynamic to help improve mpg?
Truck designers got it in their heads that 1/2-ton trucks will only sell if they look like semi trucks. However, I agree with you that most of us would give up the tough-guy image for better mileage.

BTW...What is your beef with the Ridgeline? A friend got one and it seemed great upon initial inspection, but I haven't driven it yet. The older I get, the less use I have for a full-sized, gas guzzler, so, it looks pretty sweet to me. Not sure how much longer I can wait for the new Tundra. My 2001 is now twenty-years-old! It's a better size for me than the newer Tundras, but I'm looking forward to getting into a new truck with modern tech and safety gear.
Old 06-18-21, 03:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Confirmed by....Toyota lol...
Old 06-18-21, 03:45 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Truck designers got it in their heads that 1/2-ton trucks will only sell if they look like semi trucks. However, I agree with you that most of us would give up the tough-guy image for better mileage.

BTW...What is your beef with the Ridgeline? A friend got one and it seemed great upon initial inspection, but I haven't driven it yet. The older I get, the less use I have for a full-sized, gas guzzler, so, it looks pretty sweet to me. Not sure how much longer I can wait for the new Tundra. My 2001 is now twenty-years-old! It's a better size for me than the newer Tundras, but I'm looking forward to getting into a new truck with modern tech and safety gear.
We really, really liked the Ridgeline. It tows 5,000 lbs, has good power & economy, rides nice, BUT…no cooled seats available in the USA (Canada gets them!) & at the time, no way to lock the tailgate. I would have a hard locked cover on the bed & it’s just freaking stupid to not be able to lock the tailgate. I’ve heard they added that, but the lack of cooled seats is a total deal killer for me. I don’t think the Tacoma has it either. I guess you have to buy a big gas guzzler or a problematic small truck in order to get cooled seats…SMH.
Old 06-18-21, 03:47 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ST430
Confirmed by....Toyota lol...
I’m with Jill - yuck! Chevy’s ugly is better!
Old 06-18-21, 04:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I’m with Jill - yuck! Chevy’s ugly is better!
I really don’t love the TNGA direction Toyota is going. But in white, I like the A pillar and the door frame are blacked out. Probably just some tape but I like it. I also like the mirrors re not stuck on the door like they are in the new Land Crusier. The middle section of the truck is ok. The TOYOTA script is nice but I don’t like the thick white parts surrounding the front end that is all black. For the off roading crowd, I think the integration of lights is a nice touch. My intuition tells me that this will be a pretty good off road truck

Quick Reply: Future Tundra