Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-21, 07:32 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Black grill, bumper, fender trim, wheels - count me out. I won’t even bother looking at it, because it’s UGLY! Imagine myself driving around in a reliable brick…NOT!
Old 06-18-21, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
We really, really liked the Ridgeline. It tows 5,000 lbs, has good power & economy, rides nice, BUT…no cooled seats available in the USA (Canada gets them!) & at the time, no way to lock the tailgate. I would have a hard locked cover on the bed & it’s just freaking stupid to not be able to lock the tailgate. I’ve heard they added that, but the lack of cooled seats is a total deal killer for me. I don’t think the Tacoma has it either. I guess you have to buy a big gas guzzler or a problematic small truck in order to get cooled seats…SMH.

I'm with you on the Ridgeline....particularly the 2Gen model. The Ridgeline gets a lot of pans on Car Chat (always did), but I'm in the minority (along with you) that disagree with those pans. It is well-built, drives and rides nicely (something that a lot of trucks don't, even today, unless you get a silky Ram or GMC 1500), and, unlike most other trucks, combines the benefits of both unibody and partially-separate frame in its design. Consumer Reports also thinks highly of it.

You might also want to check out the new Hyundai Santa Cruz and Ford Maverick, but they might be too small for your needs. They are also basically FWD crossovers with a bed on them, unlike the Ridgeline or true BOF pickups.

Old 06-18-21, 07:50 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm with you on the Ridgeline....particularly the 2Gen model. The Ridgeline gets a lot of pans on Car Chat (always did), but I'm in the minority (along with you) that disagree with those pans. It is well-built, drives and rides nicely (something that a lot of trucks don't, even today, unless you get a silky Ram or GMC 1500), and, unlike most other trucks, combines the benefits of both unibody and partially-separate frame in its design. Consumer Reports also thinks highly of it.

You might also want to check out the new Hyundai Santa Cruz and Ford Maverick, but they might be too small for your needs. They are also basically FWD crossovers with a bed on them, unlike the Ridgeline or true BOF pickups.
No & No - I don’t want a buzzy 4 cylinder anything & they can’t tow much of anything. They are only good to put a kids bicycle or a few bags of mulch in. I’ve even considered a Lefthand Ute (Holden El Camino). There is a guy in Colorado that imports them from Australia & converts them to lefthand drive. I would essentially have a Corvette powered El Camino.
Old 06-18-21, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
No & No - I don’t want a buzzy 4 cylinder anything & they can’t tow much of anything. They are only good to put a kids bicycle or a few bags of mulch in. I’ve even considered a Lefthand Ute (Holden El Camino). There is a guy in Colorado that imports them from Australia & converts them to lefthand drive. I would essentially have a Corvette powered El Camino.
Yeah, I've posted several times, here in Car Chat, that the Australian Holden Maloo would have made an excellent new El Camino for GM. From what I understand, Pontiac had plans to offer an American-spec Maloo-based Sport Truck, which got cancelled when Pontiac itself folded....and the project never got transferred to Chevy, because GM later dumped Holden itself.

Anyhow, it's good to hear that there's a firm that does American-Spec El-Caminos from the Maloo. It shows that at least somebody was listening.
Old 06-18-21, 09:53 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

It’s not as attractive as the current Tundra. It looks good at some angles but I don’t like the massive front grille.
Old 06-18-21, 10:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,030 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Toyota is trying their hardest to make me hate their design language. Probably the ugliest truck ever.
Old 06-18-21, 10:28 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Toyota is trying their hardest to make me hate their design language. Probably the ugliest truck ever.
no truck can take that crown from the cyber truck.
Old 06-18-21, 10:38 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I like what I see, but am plenty happy to pick up the outgoing model for now.
Old 06-18-21, 10:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,030 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
no truck can take that crown from the cyber truck.
One massive difference. Cybertruck looks like it does for technical reasons the exoskeleton can't be pressed into complex, organic shapes. What is Toyota's excuse? Massive wasted space for the sake of styling (if you can call it that) zero to do with function.
Old 06-18-21, 11:15 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

There's something weirdly reminiscent of the Mitsubishi Outlander in its body lines. Not sure if that's the right design language for a BOF pickup.

Old 06-19-21, 03:14 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

On other sites they state the leaked phone is the TRD version. Maybe the 'standard' truck has a different front end with a more conventional bumper, etc.?
Old 06-19-21, 05:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

That is seriously ugly, but then i think all modern trucks are so ugly. They all have extremely high front hoods destroying front visibility for no reason other than to look 'tough'.

this one has a very busy front for no reason. And of course white makes it all look worse.

i predict epic failure. They probably won't even offer the v8.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-19-21 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-19-21, 06:57 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Bitkahuna, you nailed it! I just watched Consumer Reports Talking Cars this morning & they talked specifically about this so-called truck styling. They found that since the year 2000, truck hood heights are up 11% & they are 55” off the ground. Trucks were also found to be 24% heavier from 200-2018 - that’s insane! All of this macho style has created a huge safety issue of being unable to see over the damn hood. It’s also a big factor in crashes with much smaller vehicles. There is just no justification, other than off road clearance that warrants having such a big, tall front on these trucks. It’s just stupid ugly & doesn’t benefit the vehicle in any way. I ride motorcycles also & there is nothing worse than having a 4WD truck behind you at night, blinding you with its headlights & knowing that they can’t see a damn thing over the hood of their beast.
Old 06-19-21, 07:16 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

^^^ yet the engines are getting smaller and smaller. Looks like a big turbo diesel V10 can fit under that hood. Unreal. Agree with most, this thing is beyond terrible. Always will be a fan of the brand, but so many unattractive new Toyota vehicles is very concerning to me.
Old 06-19-21, 09:34 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great !!
Both Tacoma and this new Tundra trd pro look awesome.
I wonder if the tundra trd pro will get a different more powerful engine or the same twin turbo v6.

Quick Reply: Future Tundra