Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If Gas Cars Are Banned, Can The Grid Handle Electric Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 01:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Lend0
The propaganda is real on EVs.
Point out the propaganda in the video posted.

Old 02-10-21, 03:45 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Depends on location, climate and other factors.

The power grid in NYC is old and unreliable. We have blackouts on a consistent basis throughout the year affecting various neighborhoods.

Also how will system handle charging millions of cars, powering millions of A/Cs on a hot/humid typical August summer day. I have serious doubts that this will be smooth process. It will need substantial investment and innovation.
Old 02-10-21, 04:19 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
https://youtu.be/6ySK6XGS13M

This is the same guy? ^^^. The fate of the electrical grid is riding on his video....
This particular video was posted on April Fool's Day... It was quite obviously meant to be light hearted and wasn't supposed to be taken seriously...

Old 02-10-21, 04:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
This particular video was posted on April Fool's Day... It was quite obviously meant to be light hearted and wasn't supposed to be taken seriously...
If the chief engineer of the Los Angeles electric grid did something similar....not sure Id take them seriously later down the road.
Old 02-10-21, 04:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If the chief engineer of the Los Angeles electric grid did something similar....not sure Id take them seriously later down the road.
The 2nd richest man in the world smoked a joint on Youtube and his stock went 10x a year later. Go figure
Old 02-10-21, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The real problem is not going to be so much power-production-capacity (although that is obviously quite important) but simply having enough recharging stations in enough places, period.. Many people who live in condos/high-rides or other homes that do not have outdoor charging-outlets (or indoor-outlets with outside-cord capabilities) are going to have issues recharging. These MUST be addressed if there is to be any real public acceptance of BEVs. Otherwise, one simply passes laws without thinking of how the result is going to be implemented.
Old 02-10-21, 04:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 2nd richest man in the world smoked a joint on Youtube and his stock went 10x a year later. Go figure
And Bernie Maddoff and Enron were big Ponzi schemes...

In all seriousness, I am glad you enjoyed the video....I was just pointing out credibility...checking the facts behind those who claim them....usually claims of those in the video would be more scholarly and peered reviewed.... If you disagree with what I just said...fair enough..I don’t think much of the video as I already stated why...I will let others post on the topic and see what they say...moving on...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-10-21 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 04:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The real problem is not going to be so much power-production-capacity (although that is obviously quite important) but simply having enough recharging stations in enough places, period.. Many people who live in condos/high-rides or other homes that do not have outdoor charging-outlets (or indoor-outlets with outside-cord capabilities) are going to have issues recharging. These MUST be addressed if there is to be any real public acceptance of BEVs. Otherwise, one simply passes laws without thinking of how the result is going to be implemented.
He admitted as much in the video. The challenge will be charging infrastructure for sure. That cannot be disputed.
Old 02-10-21, 05:18 PM
twindham
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

EVs are only viable from a reliability/simplicity standpoint. If you think they are "greener" then you are incorrect. A BTU of energy is a BTU of energy and you dont use less energy by going electric. All that is achieved is moving the tail pipe from the back of the car to the smokestack at the power plant. There is no free lunch. All of the wind and solar power generated today makes up less and 10% of our nations energy supply. Natural gas is cleaner than gasoline so moving to that as a fuel source makes sense and it can go to generate electricity or you can put it in a tank on your vehicle. And yes, i am an engineer.
Old 02-10-21, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by twindham
EVs are only viable from a reliability/simplicity standpoint. If you think they are "greener" then you are incorrect. A BTU of energy is a BTU of energy and you dont use less energy by going electric. All that is achieved is moving the tail pipe from the back of the car to the smokestack at the power plant. There is no free lunch. All of the wind and solar power generated today makes up less and 10% of our nations energy supply. Natural gas is cleaner than gasoline so moving to that as a fuel source makes sense and it can go to generate electricity or you can put it in a tank on your vehicle. And yes, i am an engineer.
What is your take on hydrogen powered?
Old 02-10-21, 05:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Any new coal plants are practically outlawed and the country is moving to renewables and natural gas. Any new additional energy plants to meet the EV demand will probably come from cleaner sources than gasoline. You can never get petrol cars much cleaner than they are now. EVs have the potential to be much much cleaner in the future and I think that is the goal.
Old 02-10-21, 05:28 PM
twindham
Rookie

Honestly not qualified to say but what i have understood is the safety aspects are a major hurdle (in the case of a collision and tank rupture).
I'll probably be kicked of the forum for saying this but i don't by the narrative that man is responsible for a significant part of the global warming issue. I believe in global warming but just don't believe that mans impact is significant. We all agree there was an ice age in our past and interestingly, it ended due to global warming without any internal combustion engines or factories in sight - just a bunch of cavemen.
All things said - i think natural gas is the best available answer.
Old 02-10-21, 05:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

This is completely wrong. An EV gets equivalent of 100mpg+ put another way a Tesla goes 300 miles on the energy contained in 2.3 gallons of gasoline. In case you still don't get it this means it requires far less energy to go the same distance vs. a petrol car.
Old 02-10-21, 05:40 PM
twindham
Rookie

Thanks for making me aware of that - it was news to me. Any comments about the total energy required to build/dispose of a conventional vehicle versus a battery/ev car?
Old 02-10-21, 05:41 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Thanks for making me aware of that - it was news to me. Any comments about the total energy required to build/dispose of a conventional vehicle versus a battery/ev car?
that’s a canard.

Quick Reply: If Gas Cars Are Banned, Can The Grid Handle Electric Cars?