Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If Gas Cars Are Banned, Can The Grid Handle Electric Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 08:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,030 Likes on 2,545 Posts

That Youtuber is a Tesla owner. Your claim of 2x power usage is way off unless the average person drives about 40,000 miles a year which they don't. Do some basic math it's easy look up the average KWh usage per year of the average home, then look up how much power it takes to charge up a Tesla and how far it goes on that charge.
Old 02-14-21, 08:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
this YouTuber could have save himself a lot of time and breath by taking to actual EV owners. On average their electricity usage increases by over 100% when they charge their vehicle exclusively at home. That’s NOT 30%.
The true numbers are actually over 100%.

Sure utility companies give EV discount dropping the price but that has no bearing on the current topic, usage

in Norway drivers drive half as much as they do in America so they cut that to 50% plus 95% of their electricity is generated from hydro so they truly are clean cars. I’d drive one in Norway

the grid to homes if all cars convert to EV in the USA will see more than 100% increase and will need to be upgraded to handle that.
Which would be a 30% increase in overall electricity in the nation. Non home use far outweighs home use. He is not wrong with his numbers. All verifiable using his sources. I agree that home electricity use would double.
Old 02-14-21, 08:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Average home in the U.S uses 11,000 KWh per year that's enough to charge a Tesla 130 times which translates into 35,000+ miles. I'm being conservative the actual distance will probably be better. Either way that's more than double the average person drives per year. On average the home usage will not double.
Old 02-14-21, 09:29 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Average home in the U.S uses 11,000 KWh per year that's enough to charge a Tesla 130 times which translates into 35,000+ miles. I'm being conservative the actual distance will probably be better. Either way that's more than double the average person drives per year. On average the home usage will not double.
and since there is on average 2 cars per household and the average person drives 15,000 miles per year that’s 30,000 miles per household per year that is almost your number of 35,000 miles and a 100% increase. Take off 20% of energy loss for extreme cold or hot and your 35,000 + miles which was just halved and dropped by another 20% takes the electrical demand back up over 100% case closed

the grid nor homes can handle the complete conversion to EV’s without both major upgrades and new sources coming on stream

and this ends my contribution to this discussion

Oops. EEZ I missed you reply. So this will be my last I put to Thai discussion. The numbers he used that don’t work are the mpg equivalent of 70-140 mpg. I realize he’s repeating numbers that are used and generally accepted as true but In Real world applications with the technology we have today It’s impossible to burn gas convert it to Electricity transfer it to a car and get that kind of mileage. No body has done it nobody is doing it and as far as we know it cannot be done. So from there he derives his calculation of a theoretical increase of 1.25 trillion kw hours. . This. Number should be double more likely tripled. So an increase is 4.75 trillion kw hours. As the real conversion rate is 40-50 mpg max

in any case the real home electrical use numbers according to current EV owners works out to well over 100% increase in household usage if we convert to full EV usage. I don’t think that’s in dispute. And that will indeed strain the grid never mind homes.

Last edited by winterturb; 02-14-21 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-14-21, 10:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

That's not how he derived his calculations at all at this point I'm pretty sure you didn't watch even 10 frames of his video. The calculation has zero to do with MPGe it has to do with how much extra energy the grid needs to produce to power the EVs. That calculation is simple, we know exactly how many KWh it takes to move an EV a certain distance. That's it. You can disagree with MPGe ratings that doesn't change the math.
Old 02-15-21, 10:11 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

That's not how he derived his calculations at all at this point I'm pretty sure you didn't watch even 10 frames of his video. The calculation has zero to do with MPGe it has to do with how much extra energy the grid needs to produce to power the EVs. That calculation is simple, we know exactly how many KWh it takes to move an EV a certain distance. That's it. You can disagree with MPGe ratings that doesn't change the math.

He used simple math, according to him, sorry it confused you. watch until the 2 minute mark.
Old 02-15-21, 10:29 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 265 Likes on 193 Posts

Just some cold weather is taking down the grid in Texas today. Rolling blackouts. Sky high rates. The grid is a long way away from being able to support every car being electric.

Old 02-15-21, 10:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Fine example of a logical fallacy. Extreme weather interrupts service therefore it is impossible for the grid to be to upgraded to handle 30% more load.
Old 02-15-21, 10:56 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

^^ Fine example of a logical fallacy. Extreme weather interrupts service therefore it is impossible for the grid to be to upgraded to handle 30% more load.
Nobody is saying it isn't impossible. It's just going to be slow and expensive, not just going to happen naturally with a little extra money based off some simple math.
Old 02-15-21, 10:58 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

The "grid" doesn't just grow a linear percentage year over year. Those increases happen with very large, very expensive infrastructure projects. Stupid logic to just assume that has no basis in reality.
Old 02-15-21, 11:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
The "grid" doesn't just grow a linear percentage year over year. Those increases happen with very large, very expensive infrastructure projects. Stupid logic to just assume that has no basis in reality.
The YouTube expressed what happens when you assume that every car on the road is an EV and gave the math for it. It's well reasoned but not based on reality as EV penetration is 3%. The grid will be upgraded over the next 50 years to accommodate for a complete shift. There is plenty of time for this transition. I expect in 20 years, about half the cars sold will be EV. That's still quite a ways off so any talk of doom and gloom on the grid is pretty short sighted. It's not like this isn't predictable.
Old 02-15-21, 11:46 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

With nuclear going out of favor, as well as new restrictions on fracking, we are going to be doing good to keep up with the electric demand we have today. Add population growth and a bunch of cars charging, and we are far in the hole. Solar and wind is nice, but they aren't going close to replacing these aging nuclear plants that provide a lot of our base load capacity. And solar and wind energy isn't always there when you need it. Ask Germany about that. Fracking provided some cheap natural gas that gave us a temporary reprieve, but if that is squeezed off like coal plants have been, we are going to be in trouble.

Too fix this, it's going to cost trillions and trillions of dollars in grid improvements. Meanwhile, expect energy prices to skyrocket. This is going to be VERY expensive and bring a lot of pain in monthly energy bills. Of course, anything is achievable if you throw enough money at it.
Old 02-15-21, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Too fix this, it's going to cost trillions and trillions of dollars in grid improvements..
Some believe that the world will be using discarded EV batteries for all their power needs. Lol
Old 02-15-21, 01:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am old enough to remember before there was the internet, you tube and I guess fake news.
you might be a boomer

of course they never had fake news before the internet.

Originally Posted by Lend0
The propaganda is real on EVs. Good thing I'll never fall for it nor buy one.
never is a long time.

But..but..Norway. And they only pay about 33 cent per kwh for electricity. (my state is about 13 cents)
Of course, they can afford it will all those generous government welfare benefits funded by the sale of fossil fuels.
norway is very unique (most domestic power from hydro and they sell tons of oil from off-shore). see the great drama online called "occupied".

Originally Posted by winterturb
Tell me, what is being done to resolve the issue of Lake Mead losing its water and soon power to 40,000,000 people? See you are so far from the source you don’t even stop to consider what is going on and how it will affect you in the future. You are not alone. Once Lake Mead is dry, and it will be, it will be catastrophic, like existentially catastrophic unless power plants are built to replace, not the future power demands, but the existing ones
these are big complex issues.
hmm... i just looked that up... yikes.
https://www.good.is/articles/lake-mead-is-drying-up

With nuclear going out of favor...
there's only been 1 new reactor gone online since 1996. there's a few in the works though.
Nuclear power in the United States - Wikipedia

Too fix this, it's going to cost trillions and trillions of dollars in grid improvements. Meanwhile, expect energy prices to skyrocket. This is going to be VERY expensive and bring a lot of pain in monthly energy bills. Of course, anything is achievable if you throw enough money at it.
i agree with all of that. you've only got to look at europe to see how insanely expensive energy in all forms will become.
Old 02-15-21, 01:17 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm not outrageously biased towards BEV's like some people, but even I have to say that traditional ICEV's will NOT be outlawed overnight, and the US will NOT be suddenly selling 16 million BEV's by the end of 2021.
Rather, BEV's will gradually rise in sales and market share, while non-fossil fuel burning power stations are progressively built to meet market demand.

If BEV sales truly exceeded non-fossil fuel burning power station development, then black-outs etc would occur, and sales of BEV's would temporarily back-off until non-fossil fuel burning power station infrastructure and local outlets meets demand.

Quick Reply: If Gas Cars Are Banned, Can The Grid Handle Electric Cars?