Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If Gas Cars Are Banned, Can The Grid Handle Electric Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 01:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

i love when people talk about oh just add high speed EV charge stations all over. they use an ENORMOUS amount of very high current electricity. home charging isn't as bad, but still like having all the major appliances and AC on all night.

it works pretty well where people have decent sunshine, no snow, and solar cells on the house, which is obviously only a TINY fraction of the u.s. right now, and not likely to grow that quickly, partly because there's little incentive in a lot of places to do so, and partly because the power companies DON'T WANT people to do it, because the more people with solar, the less revenue they make.

i'm saddened that in florida there's little incentive to get residential solar. i've looked into it a couple of times and the payback is way too long.

maybe when i move i'll consider getting it built into a new home, we'll see.
Old 02-15-21, 01:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

final thought, i would be happy if EV charging was fast, easy, and affordable. right now it's none of those things for 99% of people.
Old 02-15-21, 01:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you might be a boomer

of course they never had fake news before the internet.

e.
The internet created all the fake news.
Old 02-15-21, 02:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

i love when people talk about oh just add high speed EV charge stations all over. they use an ENORMOUS amount of very high current electricity. home charging isn't as bad, but still like having all the major appliances and AC on all night.

it works pretty well where people have decent sunshine, no snow, and solar cells on the house, which is obviously only a TINY fraction of the u.s. right now, and not likely to grow that quickly, partly because there's little incentive in a lot of places to do so, and partly because the power companies DON'T WANT people to do it, because the more people with solar, the less revenue they make.

i'm saddened that in florida there's little incentive to get residential solar. i've looked into it a couple of times and the payback is way too long.

maybe when i move i'll consider getting it built into a new home, we'll see.
Why isn't there an incentive to get solar? It's 26% tax credit on the installation right? Given Florida is always sunny, I thought everyone would have solar there.
Old 02-15-21, 04:03 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

it works pretty well where people have decent sunshine, no snow, and solar cells on the house,
I’m waiting for a new invention that uses clouds and snow to generate electricity. I’d be able to power a city with the amount of snow on my roof.
Old 02-15-21, 04:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdls
I’m waiting for a new invention that uses clouds and snow to generate electricity. I’d be able to power a city with the amount of snow on my roof.
have you not heard? People are gonna haven batteries EVERYWHERE.
Old 02-15-21, 04:52 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

i love when people talk about oh just add high speed EV charge stations all over. they use an ENORMOUS amount of very high current electricity.
Was thinking about this too and an EV charging station shouldn't really be any different from any other commercial electricity consumer, though, right? If you could get power to a store or to an office, you could get power to an EV station in the same vicinity. Many of the Tesla stations here in the Bay Area are in mall parking lots, they basically use a number of parking spaces as the charging bays. The Tesla supercharger closest to my house is in the parking lot close to a DIY store and a Walgreens. It has 18 bays which were basically 18 parking spots.
Old 02-15-21, 05:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
. It has 18 bays which were basically 18 parking spots.
I can’t see a world where everyone just zips around and just stop for a charge...for 10-20-30 or more minutes.
Old 02-15-21, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Maybe Tesla, or some other automaker into BEVs, in their infinite wisdom, will come up wth a wireless charging system for auto-batteries like we see for cell phones.
Old 02-15-21, 05:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I don't know how well this works and haven't heard much about it. It might be pretty slow.

Last edited by LexBob2; 02-15-21 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-15-21, 06:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe Tesla, or some other automaker into BEVs, in their infinite wisdom, will come up wth a wireless charging system for auto-batteries like we see for cell phones.
There is already a standard out there. The issue is that it can't transmit nearly as much power as a physical connection and there are safety concerns (like little animals being fried when they run under the car). Our parking lot at work has some dedicated spots that already do this on prototype cars.
Old 02-15-21, 07:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wireless charging is terrible - it is slow, heats up the battery, and has a bunch of limitations. In my car if I stream music from my phone while its is on the wireless charging pad, it does not gain any charge.
Old 02-16-21, 05:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Doing a bit of research on power consumption of EV charging stations.

a typical 3 ton air conditioner uses 3KW of power.
a tesla supercharger station uses 72KW of power or 24x as much. and that's ONE station.
key factor as far as total consumption of course is how long they're running per day.
On a hot day an air conditioner might run half the day, thus using (3x12) 36KW hours of power.
A busy super charger station might be charging maybe a bit less, maybe 10 hours? That's 720KW hours!

Do i have that right?
Old 02-16-21, 05:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

In the view of the current situation with power outages in parts of US due to inclement weather, this is something to be strongly considered before purchasing an EV. When hurricane Sandy happened here in NY, there were gasoline shortages citywide, and power was out in the flooded zone. Gasoline supply was restored much quicker than electric - most people resorted to running gas powered generators for weeks until the power was finally restored. I was lucky to have a diesel truck that survived the flood, and unlike gasoline there was no shortages of diesel at all, so I was able to get around the whole time.

So while I personally fancy the idea of an electric car, and will probably get one in the near future, banning gas cars is an idiotic idea.
Old 02-16-21, 06:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Also, the idea that this is simply about adding 30% more capacity to the existing grid is flawed. The current grid is old and can barely handle the delivery of the current demand, with constant half assed repairs and patch work. If they simply add 30% more capacity, the grid will get even more unreliable. To properly handle the increased demand, the whole grid should be replaced and capacity added, and I don't know if this is even feasible, at least in the short term. It can take decades and decades to get this done.

Quick Reply: If Gas Cars Are Banned, Can The Grid Handle Electric Cars?