Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If Gas Cars Are Banned, Can The Grid Handle Electric Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 10:23 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default If Gas Cars Are Banned, Can The Grid Handle Electric Cars?

Great video on the subject matter of the grid and EVs. His calculations basically forecast a 30% increase in total electricity needed to power a complete transformation to EVs. Hardly unachievable by 2035 Enjoy...

Old 02-10-21, 12:12 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Definitely achievable especially with point of use solar installed.
Old 02-10-21, 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I wonder if they give out PHD's based on You Tube videos It would be good to hear what an engineer thinks....
Old 02-10-21, 12:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder if they give out PHD's based on You Tube videos It would be good to hear what an engineer thinks....
He is an engineer. His other videos are quite good and technical on many other topics regarding engineering.
Old 02-10-21, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. He provided nothing scientific/scholarly
Old 02-10-21, 12:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

LOL. He provided nothing scientific/scholarly
Except a rational methodology on how much energy is needed to power a nationwide EV fleet. If you have a better source, post it. Attacking the presenter is really the weakest way to attack an argument.
Old 02-10-21, 12:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Except a rational methodology on how much energy is needed to power a nationwide EV fleet. If you have a better source, post it. Attacking the presenter is really the weakest way to attack an argument.

This is the same guy? ^^^. The fate of the electrical grid is riding on his video....
Old 02-10-21, 12:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Attacking the presenter is really the weakest way to attack an argument.
This. Attack the message not the messenger. LexsCTJill did you watch the video and if so why are the calculations he did wrong in your view?
Old 02-10-21, 12:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

https://youtu.be/6ySK6XGS13M

This is the same guy? ^^^. The fate of the electrical grid is riding on his video....
Does it prove that he isn't an engineer or he can't present an argument. Again, if you have facts that are contrary, then post it. Just because you hate the conclusions, you attack the messenger?
Old 02-10-21, 12:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
His You Tube video has no credibility....it is important to ask of his work is “peer” reviewed by a school or another engineer...
Old 02-10-21, 12:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Does it prove that he isn't an engineer or he can't present an argument.
Is he even employed as an engineer?
Old 02-10-21, 12:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

His You Tube video has no credibility....it is important to ask of his work is “peer” reviewed by a school or another engineer...
HIs math was perfectly reasonable. He sourced all of his information and came up with a conclusion. You yourself can easily do a little research and come up with the same math...its not calculus. Its arithmetic and anyone that watches the video can make their own conclusions. He gave a specific output of the electricity needed to power the US fleet with electricity. Its about 30% higher than what the current grid outputs in the US. He gave a case study on Norway which on a national level, needs about 30% more electricity due to the high penetration of EVs. Not really difficult at all to understand and presents an excellent conclusion.
Old 02-10-21, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
HIs math was perfectly reasonable. He sourced all of his information and came up with a conclusion. You yourself can easily do a little research and come up with the same math...its not calculus. Its arithmetic and anyone that watches the video can make their own conclusions. He gave a specific output of the electricity needed to power the US fleet with electricity. Its about 30% higher than what the current grid outputs in the US. He gave a case study on Norway which on a national level, needs about 30% more electricity due to the high penetration of EVs. Not really difficult at all to understand and presents an excellent conclusion.
I am old enough to remember before there was the internet, you tube and I guess fake news. You rely on professional credentials and you look for credibility when you read or watch stuff. But yeah...he’s an engineer, or he graduated as a mechanical one...no idea if he has ever even been employed...and who knows if he has a professional engineers licence....

but all good...no hard feelings....It would be interesting to see what his conclusions would be rated and scrutinized at if they were “peer” reviewed.
I guess we just live in a different world today....
Old 02-10-21, 12:55 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The propaganda is real on EVs. Good thing I'll never fall for it nor buy one.
Old 02-10-21, 01:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I am old enough to remember before there was the internet, you tube and I guess fake news. You rely on professional credentials and you look for credibility when you read or watch stuff. But yeah...he’s an engineer, or he graduated as a mechanical one...no idea if he has ever even been employed...and who knows if he has a professional engineers licence....

but all good...no hard feelings....It would be interesting to see what his conclusions would be rated and scrutinized at if they were “peer” reviewed.
I guess we just live in a different world today....
If you find another source that contradicts his findings, please feel free to post it here. I'm not looking to drive propaganda but seek the truth on these matters. I'm sure every argument is nuanced but you have to start somewhere to drive the discussions.

Quick Reply: If Gas Cars Are Banned, Can The Grid Handle Electric Cars?