Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Site for car pricing - carsdirect is dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 11:09 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Site for car pricing - carsdirect is dead

I am looking at pricing out multiple cars and in the past I always used carsdirect.com. It would allow me to pick the model I wanted and all of the trim levels and showed the estimated price in real-time. I liked how it would unselect an option if it was part of a package I was choosing. The site would tell me lost price and expected prices in my area. I never clicked on the link to get custom price sent to me, it was just great to get a ballpark price which I could then negotiate against with me local dealers.

Well now the site has changed and it doesn’t give any live pricing, it only allows me to put in my info so deals can send me a quote. I don’t want to waste their time or my time. Does anyone know of a good site to do this? I figured a few of your car wizards know of something...
Old 02-11-21, 08:22 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Most sites now leave "final" pricing behind a log in type wall. If you're not ready to negotiate, then why would you need pricing estimates?

And if you are ready to negotiate and finalize something, why not just put in your information? I always have a spam email that most of those get funneled to anyways. Get the best prices, finalize your pricing and be done within a week.
Old 02-11-21, 08:43 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
I am looking at pricing out multiple cars and in the past I always used carsdirect.com. It would allow me to pick the model I wanted and all of the trim levels and showed the estimated price in real-time. I liked how it would unselect an option if it was part of a package I was choosing. The site would tell me lost price and expected prices in my area. I never clicked on the link to get custom price sent to me, it was just great to get a ballpark price which I could then negotiate against with me local dealers.

Well now the site has changed and it doesn’t give any live pricing, it only allows me to put in my info so deals can send me a quote. I don’t want to waste their time or my time. Does anyone know of a good site to do this? I figured a few of your car wizards know of something...

that feature is still there, but it's hidden now. you have to look for a specific trim and click on the trim to bring up the build you own menu for that specific trim. but that feature is not available for certain model and makes. yeah i know it sucks.
Old 02-12-21, 10:29 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
Most sites now leave "final" pricing behind a log in type wall. If you're not ready to negotiate, then why would you need pricing estimates?

And if you are ready to negotiate and finalize something, why not just put in your information? I always have a spam email that most of those get funneled to anyways. Get the best prices, finalize your pricing and be done within a week.
Well that’s great if you are ready to buy, but you overlook the need to research vehicles first. I have purchased certain cars that I wouldn’t have thought were in my price range because they had such great discounts. The manufacturer page doesn’t show that. I also like to just see what car is selling for even if I’m not ready to buy. Not everyone only researches the week they are ready to pull the trigger.
Old 02-12-21, 10:37 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
Well that’s great if you are ready to buy, but you overlook the need to research vehicles first. I have purchased certain cars that I wouldn’t have thought were in my price range because they had such great discounts. The manufacturer page doesn’t show that. I also like to just see what car is selling for even if I’m not ready to buy. Not everyone only researches the week they are ready to pull the trigger.
Then just put in a burner email and a random phone number and get the information you want.
Old 02-13-21, 06:20 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
Then just put in a burner email and a random phone number and get the information you want.
Hmmm, set up a burner phone/email, deal with several different dealers regarding several different cars over many different timeframes vs a quick check on a webpage with results in seconds. Yeah, agree to disagree on how you believe doing this is the same as an anonymous search on an automated website.