Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ontario woman who drives Mercedes will need to pay $7,000 to fix her headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 04:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Ontario woman who drives Mercedes will need to pay $7,000 to fix her headlights

TORONTO -- New vehicles are safer than ever before. They can automatically slow down, warn you if you leave your lane and help prevent crashes.

Headlights are also more high-tech than ever, but if you have to replace one on a newer car you may be in for a surprise.

“My mechanic told me that I should sit down and I was glad that I did,” Brampton, Ont. woman Nicole Bouwmeester said.

Bouwmeester owns a 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport and recently noticed a headlight was out.

She was shocked when she was told it could not be repaired and would have to be replaced at a cost of about $2,000.

“They simply have to take the part and throw it out and put a new one in," Bouwmeester said, who added “they were also flabbergasted it was going to cost $2,000 simply because a lightbulb burned out on the headlight of a car."

Some new headlights have steering response technology with motors and sensors that help the headlight beam follow the road as you drive.

Monica Rok of Mississauga has a 2017 Mercedes E400. She leases the car and must return it next month.

When an inspection was done she was told both headlights had small cracks and would need to be replaced at a cost of $3,500 each.

“They had quoted me over $3,500 per headlight to replace them because they are considered to be all in one units," Rok said.

Rok told the dealer it must be a manufacturing defect and that she shouldn't have to cover the cost, but she was told the car was outside the warranty period and she would have to pay to replace them.

“It will cost me over $7,000 dollars for the luxury to replace something that is their issue," Rok said.

Bouwmeester was also told her car was just out of warranty so she also has to pay to replace the headlight.

“As cars get fancier repairs need to be affordable for the general public," said Bouwmeester.

In a statement to CTV News Toronto, Subaru Canada said they “continually evaluates and monitor our parts pricing to remain competitive in the market place and keep the cost of ownership as low as possible.”

“This particular LED headlight assembly (not just a bulb) contains steering response technology, which includes motors, sensors and related to move the headlight beam according to steering direction. These lights are designed to last a long time, unfortunately with no history on this vehicle, we do not know why the headlight failed, or the diagnostics surrounding it. We would be more than happy to investigate further with this customer to see if we can help.”

Mercedes Canada told CTV News it had no comment on this topic but have agreed to review Rok’s situation and have a technician check the headlights again.

It's not just headlights. The sensors in mirrors, collision warning systems and emergency braking are all making cars more expensive to repair.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/on...ghts-1.5305676

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-12-21 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-12-21, 05:06 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Gotta pay to play with these expensive headlights. I don’t have laser headlights in my BMW but to replace those are just as expensive. The adaptive LED headlights I have I bet are pretty expensive too.

As for the one scenario in the article where the housing was cracked, I wonder if she could get insurance to cover it.
Old 02-12-21, 05:13 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Makes a bit of PPF worth for sure but dealer list prices aren't a surprise. She can likely find a junkyard unit for a fraction of that cost. A radio on my GS is about 8K and I found one for 1/10 of that price.
Old 02-12-21, 05:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

It's been this way for a long time. When we bought our 2007 RX350, we got the extended warranty solely because condensation in the HID housings was a somewhat widespread issue with the 2RX at the time, and replacement units were $3,500 each. I figured if we needed one replaced over the warranty term, we would come out ahead. Both headlights turned out to be fine for the full 12 years we owned the car, though the PCM had to be replaced 3 times, plus the head gaskets and a couple other miscellaneous things, so we came out ahead anyway.
Old 02-12-21, 06:22 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I had a 2008 LS600hL with the first LED headlights back then. I can’t imagine what those would have cost to replace back then.
Old 02-12-21, 06:32 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Since it is just out of warranty, she should push her dealer to pursue a goodwill repair with MB.

Being in the south, I might consider just duct taping a flashlight to the hood before paying 7k. Of course I would try to closely match car color, as I would want it to look classy.
Old 02-12-21, 06:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
Makes a bit of PPF worth for sure
I've not heard of PPF being done on the headlights, usually around them.
Old 02-12-21, 07:06 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I have done PPF on all of my cars headlights and fog lights since I started using PPF back in the early 2000’s.
Old 02-12-21, 07:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I have PPF on the triple beams on my GS. Lord help me if I ever have to replace one.
Old 02-12-21, 08:22 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Car part prices are out of control.
Old 02-12-21, 09:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would bring legal action, that is just highway robbery, it does not make sense to spend that kind of money to replace headlights.

I am fine with HID lights, I don't need nicer headlights when they end up costing more then many engines to replace, I remember paying $2000 for a new engine/have it installed in my Mitsu Eclipse. LED is not exactly super high tech technology anymore, motors for headlights aren't exactly that expensive either or brand new technology, she is just being gouged. There has to be a aftermarket or DIY solution.
Old 02-12-21, 10:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
when i got some PPF on my mustang and viper they threw in headlights for free, its a simple sheet for them to add
Old 02-12-21, 11:53 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
LED is not exactly super high tech technology anymore, motors for headlights aren't exactly that expensive either or brand new technology, she is just being gouged. There has to be a aftermarket or DIY solution.
You seem to be "in the know" regarding part prices for LED headlights. What are the cheaper aftermarket or DIY solutions?
Old 02-12-21, 11:54 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Well each HL assembly for my GS tri LED is $2500 each. That doesn’t even include the AFS motor.

Someone added up all the retail cost of individual parts for a Toyota Corolla and it’s over $1million.
Old 02-12-21, 12:38 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Quick Reply: Ontario woman who drives Mercedes will need to pay $7,000 to fix her headlights