Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21 | 09:42 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I think you're right about the price point being attractive if its under $60k. But if the main differentiators are the engine, exhaust and some mild exterior badging, I find it hard to believe they can squeeze the price under $60k. If they do, folks may splurge on those leases for an IS500 over an IS350.
And let's keep in mind that an IS350 F-Sport with AVS/LSD is already close to $50k, and well over if just adding nav/moonroof etc. Obviously i don't know how Lexus plans on spec'ing the IS500 but for the IS F, many "options" like the nav, moonroof, etc. were standard and special ordering was required to get the car without them.

I think people here are being wildly optimistic about this somehow being a budget IS F.
Old 02-23-21 | 09:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks for the fact check. Not sure where I saw the 3.6tt at 470hp. Anyways, that Cadillac V6 had more torque than that Lexus V8. And the Cadillac V black wing can hit 200mph....I do think it’s admirable that Lexus put a V8 in there...but there is no denying their engines are ancient
wow, you rave about 'ancient' body on frame lexus/toyota vehicles, and you've raved about the v6s and v8s in them, yet no love for a 472hp v8? as stated, the engine has been changed over the years. the porsche horizontally opposed 6's have been the 'same' for decades, obviously with improvements over time, same with the corvette v8, and i don't see those fans complaining.

is this the biggest announcement ever or some clear commitment to innovation and a range of amg/m competitors? no. perhaps that's why people are crapping all over it.

seems like many here would have preferred lexus not bothered at all.
Old 02-23-21 | 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Putting the same engine into an IS doesn't make it an LC. There are so many special things about the LC that won't be present here, every facet of the LC is an experience. The styling, the beauty, the interior, the feel behind the wheel...AND the engine. If you drive an RC F and then drive an LC, the RC F is nowhere near as special.
sure, and the lc is 50% more expensive. but i have no doubt people who buy rc's still find them amazing.

about the v8 though, my genesis 3.3ttv6 has more torque OFF THE LINE than the LC as far as i can tell, so in that sense i can tell the LC is different. as the revs build (quickly), there's no contest (although of course i haven't done a drag race! ), the LC is faster.

something that surprised me is that the v8 takes a fair bit of time to warm up... when i start out driving, the red line is below 6K. once it's warmed up it's just over 7K. you can watch the gauge change the red line as you drive

all that aside, the lexus 5.0 v8 is plenty fast unless someone's just looking for bragging rights or likes getting tickets.
Old 02-23-21 | 10:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

just be glad a japanese company decided to develop a 5.0 NA DOHC V8 in the first place that has excellent numbers. Total unicorn of an engine for japan and eventually the world
Old 02-23-21 | 10:21 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
And let's keep in mind that an IS350 F-Sport with AVS/LSD is already close to $50k, and well over if just adding nav/moonroof etc. Obviously i don't know how Lexus plans on spec'ing the IS500 but for the IS F, many "options" like the nav, moonroof, etc. were standard and special ordering was required to get the car without them.

I think people here are being wildly optimistic about this somehow being a budget IS F.
This is why I can't quite get on board with this IS500 being in the $55-60K range, unless they intend to have an incredibly basic "base" model and sell options a la carte like some of the Germans - but I don't see happening. Maybe it will be in that range, but I'm just not as optimistic about it and why I think it's not going to draw the comparisons to some of the competition many here suggest it should.
Old 02-23-21 | 10:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

A V8 is a good thing...however, GM has a 470hp ttV6 for CT5 V sport and a 660hp V8 for their full V. Lexus took the cheap way out by using a 15 year old motor...
GMs current V8 whether blown or not is a push rod 16 valve small block engine that has roots back to 1955. Now which V8 is more modern

Lou
Old 02-23-21 | 10:45 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
This is why I can't quite get on board with this IS500 being in the $55-60K range, unless they intend to have an incredibly basic "base" model and sell options a la carte like some of the Germans - but I don't see happening. Maybe it will be in that range, but I'm just not as optimistic about it and why I think it's not going to draw the comparisons to some of the competition many here suggest it should.
I think $60k starting. Added options will bring it up to $65-70k. If they do carbon fiber bits it’ll push into mid $70k.

It think it will undercut the m3 which starts at $69k.
Old 02-23-21 | 10:45 AM
evident
Racer

How are the numbers compared to a GS-F? I actually need a bigger car.
Old 02-23-21 | 10:47 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by evident
How are the numbers compared to a GS-F? I actually need a bigger car.
It’s def smaller than a GSF.
Old 02-23-21 | 11:00 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
pretty happy to hear toyota decided to put a v8 in these cars. are they listening to us enthusiasts? could this be a last hurrah before they fully go electric? all my speculation of course.
I think this is their plan as well. After all, supposedly the first teasers for this car were shared on Lexus Enthusiast. One last hurrah before moving to hybrids and EV's like the other cars they showed in wraps.
Old 02-23-21 | 12:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You're thinking of the ATS-V that used the 3.6TT. 464hp and 445lb-ft.

That's pretty typical of a forced induction motor vs naturally aspirated though. Different sensations, different animals. As always, Lexus is just bucking the trend and marching to their own beat. Yes the 2UR-GSE is 15 years old, but it's proven to be venerable as some ToMoCo motors do. Take your NEW 4Runner for example. It's 4.0 1GR-FE goes back 11 years and that's just for Dual VVT-i. It really came out in 2002 with the debut of the 4th generation 4Runner.
Yeah was thinking about the ATS-V...thanks Critique the 4Runner all you want...it has an old 4.0 engine. It is great that Lexus has done this for the IS (although the 3.5 and 5.0 engines are quite old)
Old 02-23-21 | 12:18 PM
Hoovey689

Yeah was thinking about the ATS-V...thanks Critique the 4Runner all you want...it has an old 4.0 engine. It is great that Lexus has done this for the IS (although the 3.5 and 5.0 engines are quite old)
A V8 is a good thing...however, GM has a 470hp ttV6 for CT5 V sport and a 660hp V8 for their full V. Lexus took the cheap way out by using a 15 year old motor...
Thanks for the fact check. Not sure where I saw the 3.6tt at 470hp. Anyways, that Cadillac V6 had more torque than that Lexus V8. And the Cadillac V black wing can hit 200mph....I do think it’s admirable that Lexus put a V8 in there...but there is no denying their engines are ancient

Not really a critique, just a fact. It just seemed odd to hear you comment that they 'took the cheap way out by using a 15 year old motor', when honestly ToMoCo has been doing this for years with the 3.5, 4.0, 5.0, 5.7 motors. I used the 4Runner as an example because Toyota could have put the newer 3.5L V6 from the Tacoma into it but didn't. So I ask you, did Toyota take the cheap way out by using the 4.0 instead of the 3.5?
Old 02-23-21 | 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I used the 4Runner as an example because Toyota could have put the newer 3.5L V6 from the Tacoma into it but didn't. So I ask you, did Toyota take the cheap way out by using the 4.0 instead of the 3.5?
If Toyota put the 3.5 inside the 4Runner it would have been a cheap way out...leaving the 4.0 inside my 4Runner is cheap and lazy....but at least they didn't put some other old engine in it like the 3.5 which defeats the whole purpose as I people say the 3.5 is a dog in the Taco. What would be cheap is if Toyota redesigned my 4Runner and after having a V8 absent for 10 years, bringing back my old 4.7 V8 which left production in 2009 that is the issue with Lexus going back to the 5.0...IMO ....offering a V8 is great news...its commendable.......but offering a V8 that has its origins dating back to 2005 (in the same line up of car) is a bit odd...and think about, the IS500 F-sport has a 472HP V8 while the LS500 F-sport has a 414HP V6tt...strange

Old 02-23-21 | 12:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

If Toyota put the 3.5 inside the 4Runner it would have been a cheap way out...leaving the 4.0 inside my 4Runner is cheap and lazy....but at least they didn't put some other old engine in it like the 3.5 which defeats the whole purpose as I people say the 3.5 is a dog in the Taco. What would be cheap is if Toyota redesigned my 4Runner and after having a V8 absent for 10 years, bringing back my old 4.7 V8 which left production in 2009 that is the issue with Lexus going back to the 5.0...IMO ....offering a V8 is great news...its commendable.......but offering a V8 that has its origins dating back to 2005 (in the same line up of car) is a bit odd...and think about, the IS500 F-sport has a 472HP V8 while the LS500 F-sport has a 414HP V6tt...strange
I bet if you put that V8 in the LS, there would be no difference in performance. The V6TT has a broad powerband to give it a ton of midrange punch.
Old 02-23-21 | 01:12 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
just be glad a japanese company decided to develop a 5.0 NA DOHC V8 in the first place that has excellent numbers. Total unicorn of an engine for japan and eventually the world
It is nice to see someone still pushing a V8 RWD car these days. Too many are looking at hybrid I4 setups and claiming them to be "sport" for full size vehicles. I'm sorry, but there's no replacement for displacement. DOHC or pushrod, the V8 is an awesome design.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance