Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 01:26 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm surprised there's so many Debbie Downers about this car. I'm still shocked it's even happening.

If Lexus bored/stroked the engine out to say 5.5, would people be complaining less?
Old 02-23-21, 01:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

^^ We are not being Debbie Downers... We are calling as it is...

Just like "F Sport" has no business on an ES350 - same problems..

Lexus needs MORE in order to be serious in the "PERFORMANCE" sector..

Originally Posted by gengar
And let's keep in mind that an IS350 F-Sport with AVS/LSD is already close to $50k, and well over if just adding nav/moonroof etc. Obviously i don't know how Lexus plans on spec'ing the IS500 but for the IS F, many "options" like the nav, moonroof, etc. were standard and special ordering was required to get the car without them.

I think people here are being wildly optimistic about this somehow being a budget IS F.
Most fully trimmed out IS350 F SPORT with DHP package and options rings in $55K
(see new inventory online)

Theres only so much you can do when you keep "putting lipstick on a pig"

Joe Z
Old 02-23-21, 01:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Chevy is crap.

Half decent engines that rev to 4-5k mated to crap build quality.

I am looking forward to the new Z06 which is supposed to have 5.5L V8 with crossplane crank.

None of their current engines are superior to Lexus 5.0 V8.
Okay then.....never mind that their engines have superior BSFC and FPM than anything the Germans make and consistently beat them in every performance metric with mid tier cars and the top tier ones annihilate Ferrari and Porsche.

Every single current V8 they make and even older ones like the LS7 are superior in weight, balance, average power, overall package size, response, low end average power, MPG, emissions, and factory headroom to modify as well as by FAR the lowest costs due to massive volume and aftermarket than anything lexus has ever made.

The new 5.5 will be a failure due to it only having good stock FPM and BSFC figures and will be unreliable, hell to modify, very expensive, and by flat out being outpaced by the LT2 due to the fact an LT1/2 can exceed its output with a extremely common/well developed heads and can package or the current crop of TT and SC setups.

Oh a LS engines will also out rev the Lexus 5.0 any day of the week and make more power and TQ for the engine way to 8500 rpm. If you are feeling like spending $8000 they will exceed 10000.

There is a very good reason LS engines hold records and Lexus engines do not.
Old 02-23-21, 01:55 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
472hp looks good on paper so it should do well against a measly 382hp M340. What's weird is that 4.5s to 60mph is pretty pedestrian for 472hp. All of the German cars get there with less than 400hp and you also have the Kia Stinger and G70 at that speed with 365hp. I understand if it's traction limited but the quarter mile is similar to the cars mentioned above. They all weigh the same too. A Mustang GT has similar hp and weight and does the 0-60 in 4 flat and low 12s in the quarter mile. Maybe the engines too peaky and powerband isn't broad enough. Strange.
Yep, average power is low in the Lexus engine. It needs FI to really be any good vs domestic V8s

Ideally it can be regeared to increase average wheel TQ dramatically since as it stands with any of the Lexus V8 cars you are over 150 in only 4th gear so a regear to allow 180 at the top of 6 or possibly even 7 would allow way better overall performance. I mean the real answer is forced induction to solve all the issues or simply replace the 5.0 a LT4 to save weight and low center of gravity while doubling the average power.

Last edited by Striker223; 02-23-21 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 03:01 PM
LH1
Instructor

Seems like the only way people would have been happy about this car is if Lexus put the 4.0L V8 twin turbo from the rumored LC F in. Isn't that engine cancelled now?

What exactly did Lexus need to do to satisfy everyone? I'm directing this question at Joe Z, gengar and even LexsCTJill with the "ancient" engine non sense. I think EZZ would even trade in his Model 3 for this.

Last edited by LH1; 02-23-21 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 03:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Seems like the only way people would have been happy about this car is if Lexus put the 4.0L V8 twin turbo from the rumored LC F in. Isn't that engine cancelled now?

What exactly did Lexus need to do to satisfy everyone? I'm directing this question at Joe Z, gengar and even LexsCTJill with the "ancient" engine non sense. I think EZZ would even trade in his Model 3 for this.
The IS 350 motor came out in 2006

The IS F V8 - 2UR-GSE debuted in 2008

You do the rest of the math......

....On where Lexus needed to be in MY 22.

Joe Z
Old 02-23-21, 03:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

Lexus 3.5tt...would have likely achieved the same performance figures if not exceed them. But It IS commendable that Lexus put a V8 in this model.
Old 02-23-21, 03:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

I think if this were available at the time of my purchase, I would have seriously considered it. If I had this already, I would not have bought my Tesla. Keep in mind, the Tesla is ludicrously fast but its nowhere near the quality of the Lexus and I wouldn't have minded one last ICE hurrah before going fully electric. I sent the premier opening to all of my 3 series friends and they admit, its an enticing vehicle so I think it will do very well. I'm personally happy with the V8 in the car...it gives it such character. I may have to go test driving one when they are available
Old 02-23-21, 03:54 PM
LH1
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus 3.5tt...would have likely achieved the same performance figures if not exceed them. But It IS commendable that Lexus put a V8 in this model.
Ok fair enough Jill. The 3.5tt would have been good enough for you and that's cool.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I may have to go test driving one when they are available
Lol you're welcome back in the ICE camp.

Old 02-23-21, 04:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Ok fair enough Jill. The 3.5tt would have been good enough for you and that's cool..

Thanks. Don’t get me wrong...it is good that Lexus added the V8 to the IS range. I just think it’s a little unusual for Toyota to bring back a V8 they once used in a IS sedan a generation prior. I have never seen Toyota do something like this prior to this move and I have followed Toyota my whole life. I am quite surprised they did this move. Even more surprised they did not call it a F....
Old 02-23-21, 04:05 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I'm surprised there's so many Debbie Downers about this car. I'm still shocked it's even happening.

If Lexus bored/stroked the engine out to say 5.5, would people be complaining less?
To me it’s pretty shocking lol

Listen I have complained about Lexus for YEARS and there is valid criticism here especially from current owners of real F cars. But I can’t see how anyone can complain about a NEW affordable sporty RWD sedan in 2021 with a 5.0 V8 engine. I also like that they have positioned it as a tier below a full F car as that should bring lower prices. Now if it starts at $65k like RCF then I would not be happy but I think base will be a hair under $60k and fully optioned up to high $60s.
Old 02-23-21, 04:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they did not use a 472 hp V8 in the previous IS. Thats like complaining the 2018+ mustang is using the same engine as the 2011 5.0. They are not the same engine. Gaining over 60 NA hp without changes in displacement, without forced induction is definitely not the same engine. Is there something wrong with that engine?

Hilarious people complaining about reusing engines, what do you think competitors do?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-23-21 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 04:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks. Don’t get me wrong...it is good that Lexus added the V8 to the IS range. I just think it’s a little unusual for Toyota to bring back a V8 they once used in a IS sedan a generation prior. I have never seen Toyota do something like this prior to this move and I have followed Toyota my whole life. I am quite surprised they did this move. Even more surprised they did not call it a F....
BMW has used inline 6 engines for years with improvements over time.
335i with N54 from 2007 made 300hp on paper, in real life - it made a lot more.
Current M340i with B58 makes 382hp - that 14yrs later!

The updated V8 makes 471hp vs 414 in original ISF so its not the same at all.

BMW has an amazing ZF8speed trans which is a huge improvement compared to 6speed auto back in 2007.
Lexus unfortunately decided not to put its latest 10speed in the IS500.
Old 02-23-21, 04:12 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
What exactly did Lexus need to do to satisfy everyone? I'm directing this question at Joe Z, gengar...
Why is this question directed at me? My posts in this thread have been pretty clear on this. Lexus should have made an IS F, the fact that they're releasing an IS500 instead is worse for the F brand and enthusiasts than no IS500 at all.
Old 02-23-21, 04:16 PM
LH1
Instructor

Originally Posted by gengar
Why is this question directed at me? My posts in this thread have been pretty clear on this.
Yes, admittedly they have been and I joined the thread late.

I just thought certain members of CL would have been more excited. I'm just noticing a disappointing/lukewarm reception in the 4 or 5 threads about this car on CL. I just think it's weird.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance