Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 04:20 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Why is this question directed at me? My posts in this thread have been pretty clear on this. Lexus should have made an IS F, the fact that they're releasing an IS500 instead is worse for the F brand and enthusiasts than no IS500 at all.
This makes ZERO sense.

Go on other forums and social media - this created a buzz and ppl really like the idea of IS500. It generated positive views on Lexus as a performance brand.

Ofcourse IS-F would have been better but to say it would be better not to have ISF or IS500?🤔
Old 02-23-21, 04:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Yes, admittedly they have been and I joined the thread late.

I just thought certain members of CL would have been more excited. I'm just noticing a disappointing/lukewarm reception in the 4 or 5 threads about this car on CL. I just think it's weird.
I'm with you...i thought this was what everyone wanted. I'm glad they gave it an IS500 name as it keeps the pricing down (hopefully). The goal is to get every one of these sold so that Lexus keeps having a higher engine option in the future because they know that if you build it...we will come.
Old 02-23-21, 04:23 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks. Don’t get me wrong...it is good that Lexus added the V8 to the IS range. I just think it’s a little unusual for Toyota to bring back a V8 they once used in a IS sedan a generation prior. I have never seen Toyota do something like this prior to this move and I have followed Toyota my whole life. I am quite surprised they did this move. Even more surprised they did not call it a F....
Perhaps you meant to say same engine block because thats the only piece that seems to be carried over.

467 Horsepower V8. Any Questions?
It’s a good day for engineers when they’re tasked with redesigning a 416 horsepower high-performance V8 to produce even more power and higher revs. The 5.0-liter V8 in the Lexus IS F made its mark. Now it’s the RC F’s turn.

Taking the sound and feel of instantaneous torque of the LFA V10 engine as inspiration, the engineers essentially kept the cylinder block and replaced most other parts. Thanks mostly to all-new cylinder heads, higher compression and lighter internal parts, horsepower has soared by 51 hp to 467 hp, and the engine can now rev to 7,100 rpm vs. 6,800 rpm in the IS F. The compression ratio has been raised to 12.3:1 (from 11.8:1), boosting torque across the entire engine speed range. Improved engine and transmission cooling systems handle track-day driving.

Here’s where Lexus got creative. Uniquely for a Lexus performance engine, the new 2UR-GSE V8 runs on the Atkinson cycle when operating at cruising speeds, to help enhance fuel economy. It’s a trick picked up from the brand’s hybrids. In the Atkinson cycle, the inlet valves are held open longer than normal to allow a reverse flow of intake air into the intake manifold, thereby decreasing pumping loss and increasing thermal efficiency.

Lexus redesigned the VVT-iE (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Electric motor) technology to extend the range of inlet camshaft timing adjustment for the Atkinson cycle. The instant more power is called for, the engine switches to the Otto cycle.

Special features of the RC F engine include titanium valves, forged connecting rods, an optimized exhaust layout to more effectively harness exhaust pulses and an air-cooled oil cooler for optimum durability.

New or redesigned parts include:
  • Cylinder heads and cam covers
  • Crankshaft: crank pin diameter, connecting rod big-end bearing size and crank counter-weight size are all reduced, to reduce reciprocating weight
  • Crank main bearings and caps
  • High-strength forged connecting rods
  • Pistons and piston rings
  • Titanium inlet and exhaust valves
  • Intake manifold and throttle body
  • Redesigned Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Electric motor (VVT-iE)
  • Revised Lexus D-4S dual injection system
  • Four-into-one exhaust headers and heat insulators
  • Oil pan and baffle plate
  • Alternator clutch system
  • Engine and transmission oil coolers
  • Spark plugs

Digging Into the Metal
  • The new cylinder heads improve the 2UR-GSE engine’s breathing with improved porting and a high-flow/high tumble ratio. In addition, intake surge-tank capacity has been optimized, as have the intake manifold runner length and diameter.
  • The new oil pan baffle shape reduces agitation and hence friction, while new air-to-oil coolers for the engine oil and transmission fluid increase track suitability.
  • The Lexus D-4S dual-injection system has been redesigned, with higher injection pressure of 2,611 psi and improved fuel atomization.
  • The throttle diameter was increased by 10 percent, from 3 to 3.3 inches (84 mm).
  • A new intake camshaft profile increases valve lift and suits the Atkinson cycle, while improvements to the electronic VVT-iE system have expanded its range of operation for increased fuel economy and performance.
  • New four-into-two exhaust headers help reduce interference and hence further improve engine breathing. The larger-diameter exhaust system is designed to reduce backpressure and sound amazing, especially under acceleration. At the same time, the main muffler keeps things from getting too rowdy at lower speeds.
  • As a final touch, the new 2UR-GSE engine has a one-way clutch on the alternator pulley.
Old 02-23-21, 04:32 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This makes ZERO sense.

Go on other forums and social media - this created a buzz and ppl really like the idea of IS500. It generated positive views on Lexus as a performance brand.

Ofcourse IS-F would have been better but to say it would be better not to have ISF or IS500?🤔
Not sure why this even has to be said, but positive buzz does not mean positive business, positive products, positive customers, or even positive sales. There's some positive reception even in this thread so I don't need to go to other forums or social media - but the fact that some positive reaction exists certainly doesn't justify this as the best choice for the F brand or for enthusiasts.

I also disagree completely that this is positive for Lexus as a performance brand - in fact it tells me the exact opposite. It tells me that Lexus is a boring and pathetic brand. The IS500 shows Lexus isn't serious at all about creating performance vehicles, because - as I already stated - it shows Lexus understands there is a market for V8 engines across the entire vehicle spectrum but that they're not willing to do more than shoehorn it into an existing product.

That's why Lexus introducing an IS500 and no IS F is the absolute worst possible scenario for all Lexus F fans and enthusiasts - because it so clearly demonstrates Lexus is no longer interested in doing the serious work of making driver-focused, driver-oriented cars.
Old 02-23-21, 04:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by gengar
Why is this question directed at me? My posts in this thread have been pretty clear on this. Lexus should have made an IS F, the fact that they're releasing an IS500 instead is worse for the F brand and enthusiasts than no IS500 at all.
They skipped over the IS F when this IS chassis came out in 2014...

... 8 years later we are V8 slapping the 2008 2UR-GSE into a refreshed IS (old chassis w/new skin)

No one else wants to see this lack luster move..!!

I / WE know all about the 2UR-GSE from 2008 and Today.. 416 vs 467 to now 472 HP

The engine designation remainded the same for a REASON. We're talking a 56 HP difference with minor tweaking.

See the attached specs from IS F for the RC F debut @467 HP

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/jp/d...wse/51gs01.pdf

Joe Z

Old 02-23-21, 05:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
They skipped over the IS F when this IS chassis came out in 2014...

... 8 years later we are V8 slapping the 2008 2UR-GSE into a refreshed IS (old chassis w/new skin)

No one else wants to see this lack luster move..!!

I / WE know all about the 2UR-GSE from 2008 and Today.. 416 vs 467 to now 472 HP

The engine designation remainded the same for a REASON. We're talking a 56 HP difference with minor tweaking.

See the attached specs from IS F for the RC F debut @467 HP

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/jp/d...wse/51gs01.pdf

Joe Z
Well back then you had C63 with V8s and M3 that didn’t weigh 4,000lbs with horrendous styling!
Timing is everything- IS500 now looks more attractive than ISF did back in the day as there is nothing quite like it from other automakers. New models from BMW and MB are not as appealing imo.
Old 02-23-21, 05:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

people wanted an IS with the V8, Lexus actually does it and people still complain
Old 02-23-21, 06:37 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by grabber2
I hope this is the new 4-doors IS F sedan. The last gen IS F sedan is pretty good. People didn't really like the RC-F.
It is indeed a new 4-doors IS sedan.......I don't the name IS 500. Still prefer IS F. Lexus could have make it look a bit more aggressivelooking
Old 02-23-21, 06:38 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
people wanted an IS with the V8, Lexus actually does it and people still complain
some people are complaining. Lots of other people are not.

Lexus fans will always want more from the company, and I think it comes across as complaining when in actuality it’s just enthusiasts wanting more bc they know Lexus can do it if they chose to.
Old 02-23-21, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Seems like the only way people would have been happy about this car is if Lexus put the 4.0L V8 twin turbo from the rumored LC F in. Isn't that engine cancelled now?

What exactly did Lexus need to do to satisfy everyone? I'm directing this question at Joe Z, gengar and even LexsCTJill with the "ancient" engine non sense. I think EZZ would even trade in his Model 3 for this.
An all new IS based on the TNGA platform this generation would have been a start. A commitment to proper RWD platforms and remaining a player in the segments they’ve always been, which would have involved a new GS and developments of RWD based crossovers. Development and growth in powertrains.

This is better than nothing, but it’s just an empty gesture sadly.
Old 02-23-21, 07:02 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
An all new IS based on the TNGA platform this generation would have been a start. A commitment to proper RWD platforms and remaining a player in the segments they’ve always been, which would have involved a new GS and developments of RWD based crossovers. Development and growth in powertrains.

This is better than nothing, but it’s just an empty gesture sadly.
I wouldn’t call it empty.

new IS wasn’t a completely new car to begin with so it makes sense not to half *** the refresh with an ISF but instead give it the v8 and retain its competitiveness in the ridiculous horsepower wars every manufacturer is engaged in.

I actually prefer the v8, I’m sure others do as well and I don’t think it needs more power.

Old 02-23-21, 07:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom44
I wouldn’t call it empty.

new IS wasn’t a completely new car to begin with so it makes sense not to half *** the refresh with an ISF but instead give it the v8 and retain its competitiveness in the ridiculous horsepower wars every manufacturer is engaged in.

I actually prefer the v8, I’m sure others do as well and I don’t think it needs more power.

I think Lexus did the right thing as the horsepower wars are dying down. They should go for the visceral experience as EVs have made speed pretty cheap and accessible. The buyers that wanted instant speed have pretty much went to the Teslas already. The enthusiasts who want old school sports sedans will find this more enticing.
Old 02-23-21, 07:52 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

It is a little crazy to think that the IS500 has a V8 and the LS500 doesn't !That is quite a twist for now...haven't kept up with the rumor mill but it seems like they gotta offer some kind of V8 powered LS variant too, no?
Old 02-23-21, 09:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

They mention the brakes are a little bigger but given the weight and hp of this car I hope they put some decent brakes on this car. With true F car at least you are getting brembos but to include such an upgrade adds more $$$ but braking is important.
Old 02-23-21, 09:04 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
It is a little crazy to think that the IS500 has a V8 and the LS500 doesn't !That is quite a twist for now...haven't kept up with the rumor mill but it seems like they gotta offer some kind of V8 powered LS variant too, no?
What they’ve done to the LS is a disgrace.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance