Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-21, 12:50 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
The IS 500's price, which starts at $57,575 (including a $1,075 destination charge). If you select the Premium trim, which adds navigation, a Mark Levinson audio system, upgraded LED headlights, and a surround-view camera with front and rear parking sensors, the price jumps to $62,075.

maybe about $500 more for certain colors. A few hundred for floor mats and also $1100 more if you need a sunroof.

I don't know if memory package is included in Premium trim.
My point is that the car will only show up on dealers fully-loaded. The base trim won't be available. The original IS-F was only available fully-loaded, including sunroof. I presume the IS500 will be the same. I didn't realize sunroof was not part of Premium package. That would then boost the MSRP to 63k+ at the dealer using your numbers.

The IS-F had to be special-ordered to get anything not fully-loaded. This resulted in long delays not to mention many reports that some dealers wouldn't even do it. I didn't want a sunroof but that wasn't worth the long wait or losing the discount just buying one off the lot.

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Ahhh, yes, I see what you're saying. I drove the 500 back-to-back with a Mustang Mach 1 rocking 305 front and 315 rear Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. And compared to that, the 500 certainly seems less stuck to the pavement. Still, although I haven't driven the IS 500 on track or in autocross, I suspect the stock setup will be good for most buyers. And with lowering springs and wider, stickier rubber, I think it'll be relatively easy to dial in. I have 255s (front) and 285s (rear) PS4S on my Boss 302 and -- as long as I'm not actually hot-lapping -- it's nearly impossible to lose lateral grip. The IS 500 is very close, IMHO.

Also, the brakes are really good (although I didn't track test them).
I wasn't talking about just grip. I said predictability.

I too will cherish my current V8 and morn its demise, but I don't think F is going away, it'll just be different. And heavier.
This is what's being spun by Lexus corporate and that's the reason for my above commentary. I still think the IS500 is a huge gamble. For sure if it doesn't sell, F is dead.
Old 09-10-21, 12:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The most surprising aspect of the IS-F to me were the brakes.

Conversely, my biggest gripe about the IS-F (MY 2008 and 2011 at least - can't speak to continued suspension revisions on later MYs) and 2IS in general was the (relative) unpredictability of rear wheel grip. Based on limited track time in a 3IS350 F-Sport, I felt this was greatly improved on 3IS.

So it's very disappointing that reviewers have complained about both of these in reviews.
This hasn't been my experience on track. The one thing I would say is with the OEM LCA bushings, the rear wanders under hard braking and can be disconcerting. This goes away with better bushings, and the RC F/GS F/3IS all have better LCA bushings than the 2IS/IS F.
Old 09-10-21, 12:58 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This hasn't been my experience on track. The one thing I would say is with the OEM LCA bushings, the rear wanders under hard braking and can be disconcerting. This goes away with better bushings, and the RC F/GS F/3IS all have better LCA bushings than the 2IS/IS F.
Again, I'm talking about predictability (i.e., linearity in feel at the limit while approaching the limit). Was definitely evident both on street and track in my MY 2008 and 2011 IS-F (IMO the worst part about the IS-F) as well as 2IS350 (non-F-Sport, actually not sure I ever drove the 2IS F-Sport).
Old 09-10-21, 12:59 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
That premium trim is going to be the volume seller for sure. Objectively, it won't be better than any of its competition except for sound, but I bet it will provide the most smiles per rev in the segment. What a great swan song for that V8.
When it goes on sale this fall, the IS 500 will start at $62,075, including $1,075 for destination, Lexus confirmed Friday. The car only comes one way, and it's fully loaded, with features like 19-inch wheels, adaptive dampers, a 17-speaker Mark Levinson audio system, embedded navigation on a 10.3-inch central touchscreen and more.
Old 09-10-21, 01:00 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

TBH, i was driving next to a LC500 today. I know it isn't the same as the IS, but it was a great looking car. Not gonna trade in my SC400 anytime soon, but still nice looking.
Old 09-10-21, 01:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Well after watching the Savagegeese review, I really, really want one. As I stated in the comments section on their channel, I can either 1) Cancel my Ford F-150 Lightning reservation, 2) sell about 500 shares of my current Apple portfolio I've not touched for 10 years, but that means convincing my dear wife that we really "need" one.

As far as him mentioning dated technology and how cars like Audi, Acura and BMW are more modern, heck that's a selling point to me. I'll take this car 10 years old over any of the other cars he mentioned
Old 09-10-21, 01:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Ahhh, yes, I see what you're saying. I drove the 500 back-to-back with a Mustang Mach 1 rocking 305 front and 315 rear Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. And compared to that, the 500 certainly seems less stuck to the pavement. Still, although I haven't driven the IS 500 on track or in autocross, I suspect the stock setup will be good for most buyers. And with lowering springs and wider, stickier rubber, I think it'll be relatively easy to dial in. I have 255s (front) and 285s (rear) PS4S on my Boss 302 and -- as long as I'm not actually hot-lapping -- it's nearly impossible to lose lateral grip. The IS 500 is very close, IMHO.

Also, the brakes are really good (although I didn't track test them).

Yesterday, I rode in a prototype F150 Lightning that's as quick to 60 as most modern Mustangs and the IS 500. I too will cherish my current V8 and morn its demise, but I don't think F is going away, it'll just be different. And heavier.
If F is not going away it will definitely be in another form. Yeah, 0 to 60 in 4.3 seconds for something that big and heavy is the magic of electric motors. Imagine the face of the guy in the Dodge Demon next to me when I'm keeping up to him! It will be magical
Old 09-10-21, 01:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
That premium trim is going to be the volume seller for sure. Objectively, it won't be better than any of its competition except for sound, but I bet it will provide the most smiles per rev in the segment. What a great swan song for that V8.
It will outlast the competition, which makes it better. My 2010 IS350 is just hitting its prime. I would buy an IS500 10 years old without hesitating
Old 09-10-21, 01:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
understand, i just haven't bought a paper magazine in at least a decade.
Oh, EVERYTHING I read is online. I never read any of my monthly mags anymore for years now and might cancel them. But I’ve been getting them basically since birth so I don’t. I meant reading a Car and Driver article online, for example.
Old 09-10-21, 01:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The most surprising aspect of the IS-F to me were the brakes.

Conversely, my biggest gripe about the IS-F (MY 2008 and 2011 at least - can't speak to continued suspension revisions on later MYs) and 2IS in general was the (relative) unpredictability of rear wheel grip. Based on limited track time in a 3IS350 F-Sport, I felt this was greatly improved on 3IS.

So it's very disappointing that reviewers have complained about both of these in reviews.
which reviewers are complaining about the brakes? savagegeese doesn't count because he and jack were hammering it around a track.

this new is500 is NOT a track car just like my LC500 isn't either. the is500 (and lc500) are not for everyone.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh, EVERYTHING I read is online. I never read any of my monthly mags anymore for years now and might cancel them. But I’ve been getting them basically since birth so I don’t. I meant reading a Car and Driver article online, for example.
gotcha... so you get paper mags but don't read them, what do you do with them!?
and as i said, the car and driver article on this is500 is so brief as to be pretty worthless and certainly of less value than these long videos, including Michael Palmer's one!
Old 09-10-21, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Very cool this car exists. I think Lexus made a mistake using their F car styling cues on something thats not an F car, but thats neither here nor there.

Old 09-10-21, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

credit to lexus for pricing this vehicle right. even loaded at 63 or 67k i think the price is right for a v8. this is especially true with the insane inflation and vehicle demand past year.

whether this can save the F brand or not is to be seen, but at least they are making this car attractive.

if sales go well, i hope they are able to keep up with the demand
Old 09-10-21, 02:24 PM
Nvicta
Pit Crew

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a suspicion that the majority of realistic IS500 buyers are on the chat board today. I wonder just how many buyers exist beyond this group. It seems even some of us talking today are more interested in the performance bragging rights of 0-60, etc so the handful of real buyers may be smaller than it appears. I hope not, but will people put the actual money where their mouth is.

I'm also thinking Lexus corporate knows if you have the funds to by a base car, a few thousand more won't be in the way of someone to go for the premium. There will probably be just a handful of base cars made for the principal of making the theoretical a reality.
Old 09-10-21, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Its a niche vehicle, even if all the buyers are here thats all the buyers they need.

I also am impressed with the pricing...
Old 09-10-21, 02:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nvicta
I have a suspicion that the majority of realistic IS500 buyers are on the chat board today. I wonder just how many buyers exist beyond this group. It seems even some of us talking today are more interested in the performance bragging rights of 0-60, etc so the handful of real buyers may be smaller than it appears. I hope not, but will people put the actual money where their mouth is.

I'm also thinking Lexus corporate knows if you have the funds to by a base car, a few thousand more won't be in the way of someone to go for the premium. There will probably be just a handful of base cars made for the principal of making the theoretical a reality.
Like all Lexus cars of this type, it's definitely niche. I don't think the average Lexus owner cares about 0 to 60 or quarter mile times, or they would go BMW, Audi, or even Mustang, Corvette or Dodge. As far as how many will sell, only time will tell but I think these will sell out at the current price point. As far as me personally, I would buy this used in 5 or 10 years, but I suspect they are going to hold their value, and may even appreciate. Although I want one, I have my heart set on a 4th Gen GSF, but who knows

Quick Reply: Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance