Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 10:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
There was a huge price difference between the F Sport and F cars, that is why there is such a huge difference in sales, F Sport was around 6K or less over the base IS, GS, RC. F's were what 30-40K more over base or F sport models in some cases. Once you get into that kind of premium and class buyers expect much more and the F's did not deliver. I think the failure of the F cars boils more down to Lexus does not have the same image as BMW or Mercedes when it comes to high performance and they priced them too high for what you got. I was okay with not offering as much power/performance as most competitors especially if you get a nice NA V8 but it was the too high pricing/premium that was the issue with me and likely most buyers. Since the 4th gen GS did not have a regular V8 option they should have priced the GS-F lower, closer to where someone who really wanted a V8 could get one for not too big of a premium over a 6 cylinder or maybe make a less radical less expensive F model version later without the huge brakes, carbon fiber bits, etc more for buyers who mainly want a V8 in their GS.
I agree with you. I would have bought a ISF in the $60-65k range but anything more would have been a hard sell.
Old 02-18-21, 11:01 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
There was a huge price difference between the F Sport and F cars, that is why there is such a huge difference in sales, F Sport was around 6K or less over the base IS, GS, RC. F's were what 30-40K more over base or F sport models in some cases. Once you get into that kind of premium and class buyers expect much more and the F's did not deliver. I think the failure of the F cars boils more down to Lexus does not have the same image as BMW or Mercedes when it comes to high performance and they priced them too high for what you got. I was okay with not offering as much power/performance as most competitors especially if you get a nice NA V8 but it was the too high pricing/premium that was the issue with me and likely most buyers. Since the 4th gen GS did not have a regular V8 option they should have priced the GS-F lower, closer to where someone who really wanted a V8 could get one for not too big of a premium over a 6 cylinder or maybe make a less radical less expensive F model version later without the huge brakes, carbon fiber bits, etc more for buyers who mainly want a V8 in their GS.
I think this is why the full F cars are such good CPO vehicles. You get a lot of performance after the original owner takes the hit.
Old 02-18-21, 11:17 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
I think this is why the full F cars are such good CPO vehicles. You get a lot of performance after the original owner takes the hit.
It's funny you say this, my buddy is going to get a GSF and is debating whether or not he wants a CPO. He's conflicted because he had a 2010 ISF with 130K on it with almost no issues and he was the original owner.

Regardless, good problem to have reputation wise for Lexus.

Old 02-18-21, 12:30 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The problem isnt that Lexus cant do performance right, they just overprice their cars. GSF has no reason being a $90k car when it pretty much uses old hardware through and through.
I beg to differ. We are just too distracted by shiny plastic and a wannabee luxury presentation, that we can't appreciate quality anymore.
A few posts above, we have the JD powers ranking coming back, with Lexus again on first place (after having been on third for a time). I mean, the price to do thicker plastics, bigger but lighter sway arms, take more time to engineer the components and ship that whole thing from Japan to us.
Those are all costs.
Old 02-18-21, 12:34 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Not anymore starting from the 2021 Lexus IS onwards. Now F-Sports can only be had with the higher power engines. Thus the only IS F-Sport is the IS350 F-Sport, and from the looks of things, the speculated IS500 F-Sport.
So they removed hte badging from slower models. Makes sense.
Old 02-18-21, 12:39 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Benoit
I beg to differ. We are just too distracted by shiny plastic and a wannabee luxury presentation, that we can't appreciate quality anymore.
A few posts above, we have the JD powers ranking coming back, with Lexus again on first place (after having been on third for a time). I mean, the price to do thicker plastics, bigger but lighter sway arms, take more time to engineer the components and ship that whole thing from Japan to us.
Those are all costs.
A few bits and pieces of CF, thicker sway bars, few extra body braces and a new old engine does not cost an additional $40k. The expense of replacing the V6 with the V8 is incremental at best. GS was already shipped from Japan so its a moot point.
Old 02-18-21, 12:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Benoit
Those are all costs.
Does what you say matter to the core buyer? The sales figures say its not what customers care about. If you kept the interior the same as regular GS with slight improvements and added a higher performance turbo V8, would that have done better? Can the Lexus F name even sell a $90k performance car or will buyers just want to go with the M5 or AMG. Maybe they should have a sold a mid $70k GSF with slight improvements and the NA V8. All i know is, I see an M5 a couple times a week while I've seen a GSF twice in the last year.
Old 02-18-21, 12:45 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I just want to remind everyone that Lexus still makes an ES 250 F-Sport with a non-turbo 4-pot shared in a Camry. That's why many of us are very skeptical about the value of the F-Sport badge.
Old 02-18-21, 12:47 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
Does what you say matter to the core buyer? The sales figures say its not what customers care about. If you kept the interior the same as regular GS with slight improvements and added a higher performance turbo V8, would that have done better? Can the Lexus F name even sell a $90k performance car or will buyers just want to go with the M5 or AMG. Maybe they should have a sold a mid $70k GSF with slight improvements and the NA V8. All i know is, I see an M5 a couple times a week while I've seen a GSF twice in the last year.
Plus no AWD like its competitors. It was just such a poor value and it doesnt even perform up to par with them.
Old 02-18-21, 12:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Plus no AWD like its competitors. It was just such a poor value and it doesnt even perform up to par with them.
Agreed. A pedestrian M340i outperforms it so really hard to justify $90k for that level of performance.
Old 02-18-21, 01:32 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

as a GSF owner I can agree that on quantifiable performance (0-60, hp, torque, weight) Lexus has fallen short, but in the unquantifiable driving experience I’d take a GSF all day long over an m5. Those that doubt this, haven’t driven a GSF.

Also no one really paid $90k for a GSF (sorry to those few that did); the car was purchased for 15-20% off MSRP depending on year.

I’d rather this F sport model be in the vein of the GSF or RCF and not just a half assed effort or a quasi performance car.

I don’t care if it’s underpowered, just make it a proper sports sedan/coupe. Lexus can make great sports cars when they try. They really should make a ISF and sell it for $69k fully optioned. That’s the starting price for the new M3 before options.

ideally they should put a manual in the RCF and the “ISF”. Enthusiasts will buy it. I know it won’t happen, just wishful thinking.
Old 02-18-21, 01:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The whole confusing part is the “Fsport” badge on the teaser photo. Why not make full F model for the new IS if they actually plan to use the V8.

Fsport = appearance package which every Lexus model offers
F = Performance and V8

I hope this is not RX plug-in Hybrid edition 🤷‍♂️
Old 02-18-21, 02:44 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Good point, a mid $70k MSRP GSF to me is priced right and would be a great buy. If Lexus made and ISF right now with the old engine I could see it being up there around $65k as a good buy and if they used an entirely new engine I would pay more.
Old 02-18-21, 03:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My GS350 had an MSRP of $61k. Had I been able to get a GS F at about $75k, I would have stepped up. But the only ones locally were $90k and I wasn't willing to go there. I probably could have/should have been willing to travel and find the right deal, but I wasn't willing at the time.
Old 02-18-21, 03:34 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My GS350 had an MSRP of $61k. Had I been able to get a GS F at about $75k, I would have stepped up. But the only ones locally were $90k and I wasn't willing to go there. I probably could have/should have been willing to travel and find the right deal, but I wasn't willing at the time.
yeah the caveat is you have to search around.

I’ve had two GSFs first one was a 2016 purchased in March of 2017, brand new, for $67k, second one was also a 2016 w/ 8k miles on odo never titled (new car warranty from day I purchased it) bought last year for $52,000.

First one was local, second one I had to travel for. You can get a new one in the Low $70k range and a gently used one for mid $60k with minimal legwork.

Not to stray from the topic of this thread, but Lexus can make great performance cars when they commit. If they make another random F sport model that’s not a dedicated sports variant like a GSF or RCF for $55k then what’s the point of buying it?

If I want a daily driver, that looks good, without a manual, to putz around town in, I’d just buy a Mazda 3 hatch and save $30k.

this is all my opinion btw. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Tom44; 02-18-21 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance