Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 03:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Which Engines are you speaking about when Mentioning BMW? The B58 and ZF transmission are very reliable. I wouldn't be too concerned with long term reliability of that motor. Toyota is even using it. Also once the car is out of warranty, I don't think many people go back to the dealership due to price gouging. That goes for any brand, I had an Infiniti Red Sport and maintanance was NOT cheap. Even Oil Changes at the dealer were $140
Guys, I think we should really stop the BMW/German cars VS and reliability argument. It's not going to be solved here. Like the oil viscosity arguments that turn into wars. I still haven't recovered from the last one. We should just respect what choice of vehicle people chose
Old 09-13-21, 03:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Guys, I think we should really stop the BMW/German cars VS and reliability argument. It's not going to be solved here. Like the oil viscosity arguments that turn into wars. I still haven't recovered from the last one. We should just respect what choice of vehicle people chose
Great idea!
Old 09-13-21, 03:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Great idea!
Glad to be of service. Hopefully unlike my wife, people will actually listen to me
Old 09-13-21, 03:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Glad to be of service. Hopefully unlike my wife, people will actually listen to me
Let's hope. It doesn't work with my wife though. As car guys I think it's good to try and respect and understand people's choices even those we don't agree with or understand.
Old 09-13-21, 03:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Let's hope. It doesn't work with my wife though. As car guys I think it's good to try and respect and understand people's choices even those we don't agree with or understand.
Yep. My wife just looks at me, then goes about her business like I didn't say anything. At least she could give me the courtesy of rolling her eyes. I totally agree. We are all enthusiasts, and that alone should bring us together. At least we are not all fighting over which is the best oil and viscosity. I have scars from those battles...
Old 09-14-21, 12:05 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Most people arguing about oil weight and quality have no data. They just feel a certain way based on their personal experience. That's why the arguments are pointless. I have objective data. Lots of objective data. It drives my choices in many things.
Old 09-14-21, 12:23 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

The R&T review pretty punch summarizes what we're all saying:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...ere-expecting/

Personally disappointed, as I was hoping Lexus would transition to the 3.5TT and derivatives by now. Looks like that's going to be reserved for the Ls500, trucks, and large SUVs only. Would of been a killer in the IS....
Old 09-14-21, 07:36 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,727 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430

Personally disappointed, as I was hoping Lexus would transition to the 3.5TT and derivatives by now. Looks like that's going to be reserved for the Ls500, trucks, and large SUVs only. Would of been a killer in the IS....
Bleh, the car has a touchscreen... Not sure where the failure is - in the reviewers' own ability to experiment with the car, or Lexus in failing to communicate that the touchscreen exists. Either way, I see this mistake - assuming there is no touch screen - all the time in reviews of the new IS.

Also: "I suspect there's more than a dash of stereo enhancement to the sound." This is not a quality review. This person is leaning on their writing skills while doing no actual fact-checking.

I actually disagree wholeheartedly. The fact that it has an NA V8 and is more of a cruiser than a road course machine is exactly what I would want. It's not a true F, and that's fine by me. Besides, the 5.0 V8 is a great engine that is not long for this world. Unless you're implying it should have been reserved for a hypothetical "IS F", which is, to date, hypothetical.
Old 09-14-21, 07:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430

3.5L TT requires lots of cooling, built engine components etc which would cut into reliability, and raise the price point, unless you cut the power. NA V8 was the best way to go, and was the best way to pay homage to this engine
Old 09-14-21, 08:02 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

3.5L TT requires lots of cooling, built engine components etc which would cut into reliability, and raise the price point, unless you cut the power. NA V8 was the best way to go, and was the best way to pay homage to this engine
don't think that was the reasoning. The 3.4L TT uses the 10 speed only (I think). That trans doesn't fit the IS platform. Their may be other factors at play but I believe that is the main reason.
Old 09-14-21, 08:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876
don't think that was the reasoning. The 3.4L TT uses the 10 speed only (I think). That trans doesn't fit the IS platform. Their may be other factors at play but I believe that is the main reason.
Could be, but I still think reliability and price, as well as enthusiasts wanting the na V8
Old 09-14-21, 08:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Most people arguing about oil weight and quality have no data. They just feel a certain way based on their personal experience. That's why the arguments are pointless. I have objective data. Lots of objective data. It drives my choices in many things.
Well you know how it goes. Facts don't matter against long held opinions. Today were all Google scholars
Old 09-14-21, 08:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Bleh, the car has a touchscreen... Not sure where the failure is - in the reviewers' own ability to experiment with the car, or Lexus in failing to communicate that the touchscreen exists. Either way, I see this mistake - assuming there is no touch screen - all the time in reviews of the new IS.

Also: "I suspect there's more than a dash of stereo enhancement to the sound." This is not a quality review. This person is leaning on their writing skills while doing no actual fact-checking.

I actually disagree wholeheartedly. The fact that it has an NA V8 and is more of a cruiser than a road course machine is exactly what I would want. It's not a true F, and that's fine by me. Besides, the 5.0 V8 is a great engine that is not long for this world. Unless you're implying it should have been reserved for a hypothetical "IS F", which is, to date, hypothetical.
I think given the announced price, this is the car that Lexus should have released! Most people don't want an M car or an F car...its too much sport. The hardcore speed enthusiasts have already moved on to other brands so this will cater to the Lexus buyer who cares more about the V8 and reliability and comfort. Do I think this is a better car than something like an M340? Yes but I don't believe for a minute that it will come close the the sales of the M340. No way this gets cross shopped with an M3 buyer.
Old 09-14-21, 08:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

Is the screen in a touch friendly place? I haven't sat in the new IS, but I thought they moved the screens further out with remote touch
Old 09-14-21, 08:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Is the screen in a touch friendly place? I haven't sat in the new IS, but I thought they moved the screens further out with remote touch
I sat in and drove a 2021 IS350 F-Sport which has the almost identical cabin and screen this Saturday, and the screen is totally reachable. I'm only 5'6

Quick Reply: Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance