Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 08:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
What does that even mean lol....numbers chasers? The car is literally called a *performance* car yet performs ona mediocre level as per the gasp *numbers* . If the V8 will last so much long, why would Toyco opt to use the 3.5TT on their tundra, a truck that is renown for it's durability.

Too funny how ya'll spinning this.....lol
It means the new IS500 is not for folks chasing 0-60 times.
If you go on new M3 forums, thats all folks talk about. How fast the car is.
The M3 is better in every performance measurement over this IS500. But most ppl buy performance cars based on emotions or some just want the nostalgia of having a big old V8 in their sedan.

Back in the day E9x M3 with NA V8 was SLOWER than the E9x 335i with turbo inline 6 - well guess which car most ppl crave now out of those 2.

Its all about nostalgia and what is no longer available which is a glorious sounding 5.0 V8 motor nevermind its slower or gets horrendous fuel economy.
Old 09-15-21, 09:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

What does that even mean lol....numbers chasers? The car is literally called a *performance* car yet performs ona mediocre level as per the gasp *numbers* . If the V8 will last so much long, why would Toyco opt to use the 3.5TT on their tundra, a truck that is renown for it's durability.

Um, for the same reason $65,000 gets you a four cylinder E-Class. Uncle Sam.

Like someone said, lottos of people will buy this car for: A. cylinder #7 and B. cylinder #8. Who gives a flip about numbers.

This new Tundra engine I'm sure is mostly solid but not quite the block of granite the big V8 was. But it will get better MPG for those who care.
Old 09-15-21, 09:20 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The acceleration numbers are pretty mediocre. Low-mid 4s range 0-60 isn't best in class even with 472hp. Lateral Gs seem to be around 0.9 which is again, kinda mediocre. Seems the car scores extremely high on subjective attributes like the V8 sound, linear power delivery, oversteer characteristics, etc... but isn't class leading in anything. Doesn't take away that its a great car and more of a sporty daily but thats the knock in all the reviews.
so if it isn't best in class its mediocre? I wonder what word would be used to describe the Type S then. I am sure there would be an issue if I call the Model S plaid handling mediocre because it didn't beat the Mercedes AMG GT 63 around the nurburgring which weighs similar, 4 doors with almost 400 less hp.

The competition uses tires from factory better for handling hence the lower score in lateral G. Although I think lexus should offer more performance tires as an option from factory.

(not aimed at you) Sometimes I think people don't want options in the car market. BMW M340i is probably considered class leading and some people here seems to just want a car that has m340i lateral g, acceleration, turbos. I mean if thats what you want just get a m340i. In other words it seems some people want audi, mercedes, bmw, lexus to just make 1 platform with same drivetrain then they all reskin the outside (ex. brz and 86).

Whats funny is 95% of people buying these cars won't even come close to the limits of any cars in the class.

EDIT: btw personally I would probably go with the m340i if I was in the market. But I am sure others would prefer a more comfy luxury ride that the lexus offers.
Old 09-15-21, 09:46 AM
SeanSkiVT
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
BMW has pretty great brand image...
From the outside looking in yes. Their brand loyalty isn't fantastic though, because the long term-quality doesn't match a Porsche, Mercedes, or Lexus. I've had 7 BMWs and my perception of the brand is that they're ****. They were solid back in the E46 days but my 335 and 340 were absolutely horrific pieces of crap that left me stranded more than once, and I won't give them another cent of my money.
Old 09-15-21, 10:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

govt emissions regulations force auto makers to go to turbocharging to juice emissions numbers. That doesn't mean turbos are better, if they were, then why arent turbos on every single ICE engine? A turbo engine has dramatically more parts and systems that will require more maintenance and break, a big engine doesnt. Turbos dont even make better mileage than bigger engines unless they are driven perfectly. Under towing the 3.5 ecoboost makes 8-9 mpg but the hemi makes 11-12. But the govt doesnt test for what the emissions/mpg is under towing. Car makers arent going to turbo for more durability but to comply with govt regulations. Turbos are the opposite of durability given the same NA engine. More parts, more pressure, more complexity, more cost, more breakage. Simple as that.

number chasers are people who are obsessed with their car having the best numbers: 0-60, hp, track times, etc when its pretty much meaningless in the real world. Its dull, boring, and they are never happy because theres always something shinier around the next corner. X car sucks because it doesnt have the best 0-60 time. These people must be fun at parties.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-15-21 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-15-21, 10:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanSkiVT
From the outside looking in yes. Their brand loyalty isn't fantastic though, because the long term-quality doesn't match a Porsche, Mercedes, or Lexus. I've had 7 BMWs and my perception of the brand is that they're ****. They were solid back in the E46 days but my 335 and 340 were absolutely horrific pieces of crap that left me stranded more than once, and I won't give them another cent of my money.
I've had a different experience after only recently trying the BMW brand. I've purchased four and each of them has been solid and problem free. Just routine service and a couple system updates while in for service - No unscheduled trips to the dealer. I have two in the garage right now. Would I get another one? Probably, if BMW takes it easy with the new grills on a model I might be interested in.
Old 09-15-21, 11:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
number chasers are people who are obsessed with their car having the best numbers: 0-60, hp, track times, etc when its pretty much meaningless in the real world. Its dull, boring, and they are never happy because theres always something shinier around the next corner. X car sucks because it doesnt have the best 0-60 time. These people must be fun at parties.
👍👍 Agreed 100%
Old 09-15-21, 11:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

govt emissions regulations force auto makers to go to turbocharging to juice emissions numbers. That doesn't mean turbos are better, if they were, then why arent turbos on every single ICE engine? A turbo engine has dramatically more parts and systems that will require more maintenance and break, a big engine doesnt. Turbos dont even make better mileage than bigger engines unless they are driven perfectly. Under towing the 3.5 ecoboost makes 8-9 mpg but the hemi makes 11-12. But the govt doesnt test for what the emissions/mpg is under towing. Car makers arent going to turbo for more durability but to comply with govt regulations. Turbos are the opposite of durability given the same NA engine. More parts, more pressure, more complexity, more cost, more breakage. Simple as that.

You win the internet. Glad to see someone having a realistic understanding of how things work.
Old 09-15-21, 12:19 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read this from people on nearly every car forum about all brands of cars. Acura, Nissan, Infiniti, Honda, etc. While people may love Acura and Nissans reliability. I think it's complete garbage based on past experience, however it doesn't mean the brands are trash or horribly unreliable. I just had a bad experience. I think that applies for any brand. Most modern cars are reliable (Land Rover Exception) I have an M340i and it's been flawless. I also have an Acura MDX on it's Second Transmission.
Old 09-15-21, 01:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,012 Likes on 2,430 Posts

...number chasers are people who are obsessed with their car having the best numbers: 0-60, hp, track times, etc when its pretty much meaningless in the real world. Its dull, boring, and they are never happy because theres always something shinier around the next corner. X car sucks because it doesnt have the best 0-60 time. These people must be fun at parties.
They're even more fun when you pass them at the track in a "lesser" car because they have no clue how to drive...I have been to track days where I was able to catch and pass Corvettes in my IS F, and run equal laps with a GTR. Does it mean my IS F is some track scorcher? Nope. It means the guys in those cars weren't able to use the mechanical advantages available to them because they lack skill as drivers. Lots of number chasers are like this. The one exception to this is, if you're going to go racing, buy the fastest model you can run in your class. Everything you do to make it faster will help. If you buy second place, you'll spend a whole bunch of time and effort just to catch up to the fastest in class while they're developing their cars to go faster still. That's a war you'll really struggle to win.
Old 09-15-21, 05:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Somehow I doubt you owned any BMWs…the brand has tremendous following with enthusiasts and aftermarket. They also have tremendous programs like Performance centers in SC and Cali; annual track events all over US; free Drive programs in major cities; BMW corporate are usually good with working with you to resolve issues.

I have been with the brand since 2008 with a bunch of various cars. They are solid cars if you maintain them and don’t tune them.

The new direction they are taking with styling and overall focus on EV is not for me though.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-15-21 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 10:55 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Somehow I doubt you owned any BMWs…the brand has tremendous following with enthusiasts and aftermarket. They also have tremendous programs like Performance centers in SC and Cali; annual track events all over US; free Drive programs in major cities; BMW corporate are usually good with working with you to resolve issues.

I have been with the brand since 2008 with a bunch of various cars. They are solid cars if you maintain them and don’t tune them.

The new direction they are taking with styling and overall focus on EV is not for me though.
calling out another poster as a liar isn't a good look.
Old 09-15-21, 11:01 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
I've read this from people on nearly every car forum about all brands of cars. Acura, Nissan, Infiniti, Honda, etc. While people may love Acura and Nissans reliability. I think it's complete garbage based on past experience, however it doesn't mean the brands are trash or horribly unreliable. I just had a bad experience. I think that applies for any brand. Most modern cars are reliable (Land Rover Exception) I have an M340i and it's been flawless. I also have an Acura MDX on it's Second Transmission.
How long have you owned it?
If less than 5 years, then any claims on reliability are pretty meaningless. You'd expect any car to be trouble free and "reliable" in its first 5 years of life.
so if your M340i is flawless past 1-2 yrs, that's a pretty damning expose of how low BMW owners' expectations have dropped and how low a reliability bar has been set for Break My Wallets.
Old 09-15-21, 11:35 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
How long have you owned it?
If less than 5 years, then any claims on reliability are pretty meaningless. You'd expect any car to be trouble free and "reliable" in its first 5 years of life.
so if your M340i is flawless past 1-2 yrs, that's a pretty damning expose of how low BMW owners' expectations have dropped and how low a reliability bar has been set for Break My Wallets.
This reads like a troll post.
Old 09-16-21, 12:47 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
It means the new IS500 is not for folks chasing 0-60 times.
If you go on new M3 forums, thats all folks talk about. How fast the car is.
The M3 is better in every performance measurement over this IS500. But most ppl buy performance cars based on emotions or some just want the nostalgia of having a big old V8 in their sedan.

Back in the day E9x M3 with NA V8 was SLOWER than the E9x 335i with turbo inline 6 - well guess which car most ppl crave now out of those 2.

Its all about nostalgia and what is no longer available which is a glorious sounding 5.0 V8 motor nevermind its slower or gets horrendous fuel economy.
Maybe I'm too old, or maybe not old enough to understand this "nostalgia" on v8s. My last v8 car was a FX50 which I threw on some intakes and it sounded glorious. Was all fun and games until I got the snot beat out of me in a race with a X5M lol. Sounds are great but I prefer G forces....

Sorry, I'm a numbers guy...I like quantifiable things that either can go fast or handle. The IS500 does neither and could of been so much more.....but then again, I'm no longer the target market for Lexus these days I reckon...

Quick Reply: Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance