Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 12:54 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
govt emissions regulations force auto makers to go to turbocharging to juice emissions numbers. That doesn't mean turbos are better, if they were, then why arent turbos on every single ICE engine? A turbo engine has dramatically more parts and systems that will require more maintenance and break, a big engine doesnt. Turbos dont even make better mileage than bigger engines unless they are driven perfectly. Under towing the 3.5 ecoboost makes 8-9 mpg but the hemi makes 11-12. But the govt doesnt test for what the emissions/mpg is under towing. Car makers arent going to turbo for more durability but to comply with govt regulations. Turbos are the opposite of durability given the same NA engine. More parts, more pressure, more complexity, more cost, more breakage. Simple as that.

number chasers are people who are obsessed with their car having the best numbers: 0-60, hp, track times, etc when its pretty much meaningless in the real world. Its dull, boring, and they are never happy because theres always something shinier around the next corner. X car sucks because it doesnt have the best 0-60 time. These people must be fun at parties.
Lol an NA apologists....we're well far away from the early 90s boost era, otherwise why would Lexus run turbos on their flagship?! :P And deflecting to mileage now? Are people hypermiling performance cars now? Lol
I am pretty boring in life...avid motorcyclist, trackjunkie, gearhead, and nerd. I love my numbers wether it's on the Dyno, on the dragy, at the strip, or the track. Sure beats those wannabe boba racers that like to talk a lot compensating for something.
Old 09-16-21, 02:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Lol an NA apologists....we're well far away from the early 90s boost era, otherwise why would Lexus run turbos on their flagship?! :P And deflecting to mileage now? Are people hypermiling performance cars now? Lol
I am pretty boring in life...avid motorcyclist, trackjunkie, gearhead, and nerd. I love my numbers wether it's on the Dyno, on the dragy, at the strip, or the track. Sure beats those wannabe boba racers that like to talk a lot compensating for something.
Lmfao, do you even realize that generally its those people who are drooling and arguing over numbers are compensating for something. I couldn't give two craps about numbers, as long as the car is a blast, and the IS500 definitely has a fun engine despite the rest of the cars shortcomings.
Old 09-16-21, 03:12 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,728 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Maybe I'm too old, or maybe not old enough to understand this "nostalgia" on v8s. My last v8 car was a FX50 which I threw on some intakes and it sounded glorious. Was all fun and games until I got the snot beat out of me in a race with a X5M lol. Sounds are great but I prefer G forces....

Sorry, I'm a numbers guy...I like quantifiable things that either can go fast or handle. The IS500 does neither and could of been so much more.....but then again, I'm no longer the target market for Lexus these days I reckon...
The numbers that matter to me in the IS 500 are 5.0 and 8.

But no seriously, I've driven an RC F, and the performance there was more than enough for me. The IS 500 just strikes a better balance of usability for someone like me who doesn't necessarily plan on tracking the car. If I am being honest, I don't need any more performance than I get out of my IS 350. But with the 500, no stock VQ car is safe, unlike with my 350.
Old 09-16-21, 03:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07
The numbers that matter to me in the IS 500 are 5.0 and 8.

But no seriously, I've driven an RC F, and the performance there was more than enough for me. The IS 500 just strikes a better balance of usability for someone like me who doesn't necessarily plan on tracking the car. If I am being honest, I don't need any more performance than I get out of my IS 350. But with the 500, no stock VQ car is safe, unlike with my 350.
Exactly, and its the same with BMWs as well. A m240/m340 is just as much of a blast to drive as a M2/M3.
Old 09-16-21, 04:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Just a note there are several folks who are one post away from being booted from this thread for rude personal comments.

Knock it off folks, back on topic and keep it polite.
Old 09-16-21, 05:08 AM
SeanSkiVT
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Somehow I doubt you owned any BMWs…the brand has tremendous following with enthusiasts and aftermarket. They also have tremendous programs like Performance centers in SC and Cali; annual track events all over US; free Drive programs in major cities; BMW corporate are usually good with working with you to resolve issues.

I have been with the brand since 2008 with a bunch of various cars. They are solid cars if you maintain them and don’t tune them.

The new direction they are taking with styling and overall focus on EV is not for me though.

Got my first in 2007. Feel free to DM me and I'll send you all kinds of pics of my cars, track days with the CCA, etc. When my 340 blew its motor at ~15k and then had to have a front diff, 2x water pumps, etc, I asked for a warranty extension and BMWNA told me that they've repaired the issues as they came up and that was all they were responsible for, then denied my request.

I could say that I doubt you have ever actually dealt with BMWNA for an issue, but I'm not petty like you are

It’s ok if BMWs tickle your sphincter and they don’t do the same for me, no need to be a jerk to people who disagree on the internet.

Last edited by SeanSkiVT; 09-16-21 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-16-21, 06:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
It means the new IS500 is not for folks chasing 0-60 times.
true.

Its all about nostalgia and what is no longer available which is a glorious sounding 5.0 V8 motor nevermind its slower or gets horrendous fuel economy.
Maybe so, but the IS500 fuel economy shouldn't be that bad overall. I know my LC has a couple more gears, but amazingly it gets about 28mpg on the highway, so definitely not horrendous.

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Whats funny is 95% of people buying these cars won't even come close to the limits of any cars in the class.
Truth!

Originally Posted by Och
Lmfao, do you even realize that generally its those people who are drooling and arguing over numbers are compensating for something. I couldn't give two craps about numbers, as long as the car is a blast, and the IS500 definitely has a fun engine despite the rest of the cars shortcomings.
the IS500 will definitely be a blast to drive and very comfortable when one just wants to get somewhere calmly.
Old 09-16-21, 06:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SeanSkiVT
Got my first in 2007. Feel free to DM me and I'll send you all kinds of pics of my cars, track days with the CCA, etc. When my 340 blew its motor at 15k and then had to have a front diff, 2x water pumps, etc, I asked for a warranty extension and BMWNA told me that they've repaired the issues as they came up and that was all they were responsible for, then denied my request.

I could say that I doubt you have ever actually dealt with BMWNA for an issue, but I'm not petty like you are

It’s ok if BMWs tickle your sphincter and they don’t do the same for me, no need to be a jerk to people who disagree on the internet.

I can attest to this. I had 8 bmws, and they are great cars to drive, but when they break BMW NA dont care at all unless they lose a class action suit.
Old 09-16-21, 06:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,728 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the IS500 will definitely be a blast to drive and very comfortable when one just wants to get somewhere calmly.
This is something I think is lost on a lot of folks when it comes to not only the IS 500 but even the 350. It's been one of the most relaxing cars to drive that I've owned, if not the most, period. But, that doesn't mean it can't be fun when I want it to be. People are more willing to understand Lexus's ethos of design when it comes to the IS 500 because it simply has the V8. Though, the dual-personality nature of the IS 500 will be even more extreme than an IS 350's would.
Old 09-16-21, 07:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07
This is something I think is lost on a lot of folks when it comes to not only the IS 500 but even the 350. It's been one of the most relaxing cars to drive that I've owned, if not the most, period. But, that doesn't mean it can't be fun when I want it to be. People are more willing to understand Lexus's ethos of design when it comes to the IS 500 because it simply has the V8. Though, the dual-personality nature of the IS 500 will be even more extreme than an IS 350's would.
And there is nothing wrong with a relaxing car, this is why even ///M and AMG cars have a comfort mode. Even sport bikes these days have a comfort mode.
Old 09-16-21, 07:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I can attest to this. I had 8 bmws, and they are great cars to drive, but when they break BMW NA dont care at all unless they lose a class action suit.
If you've had unresolved issues with them why didn't you move on to a different brand?
Old 09-16-21, 07:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

New Lexus IS500 print and ad showed up on the back page of Car & Driver today. Nice

Old 09-16-21, 08:02 AM
roastpuff
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
New Lexus IS500 print and ad showed up on the back page of Car & Driver today. Nice

Wow that’s a classically styled print ad. Love it, reminds me of the older ads I used to read obsessively as a kid and drool over the cars.
Old 09-16-21, 08:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Very nice. Great camera angle.
Old 09-16-21, 08:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Very nice. Great camera angle.
Yeah…I have a state of the art iPhone V8 Plus…

Quick Reply: Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance