Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 05:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Quick Spin of the IS 500

Lexus IS 500 is a 7/8ths F.

What’s New About the IS 500

The IS 500 brings the Lexus tried and somewhat true “hot rod” formula to the smallest sedan in the lineup. While the 2008 IS F started the revolution with a 5.0 liter naturally aspirated V8 shoehorned under a bulging hood, the 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance (the new Lexus nomenclature for something sporty but not quite worthy of the singular F) features a *checks notes* 5.0 liter naturally aspirated V8 shoehorned under a bulging hood. Nevertheless, the addition of the V8 here is definitely appreciated as this generation of IS, which debuted in 2014, has been without any engine above the 350’s V6 until now. Updated exterior looks are also quite a bit sharper now, with cleaner lines up front and out back and some more expressive sheetmetal creasing.

Grille’ing season is here

What’s Good About the IS

In an age of forced induction and electrification, the naturally aspirated V8 in the Lexus stands alone in the luxury segment. The smooth V8 somehow rumbles and wails, packing 472 horsepower at a peaky 7,100 rpm and 395 lb-ft of the torques at a high-ish 4,800 rpm. And while it’s somewhat lamentable that this isn’t a sharper tool overall, the softer focus of the rest of the vehicle make it livable as a daily driver.

IS 500 carries over the trademark “F” stacked quad exhaust tips.

Key Content

The IS 500 comes in two trim levels, F SPORT Performance and F SPORT Performance Premium. There was also a Launch Edition, as everything seems to have these days, but I assume those are mostly spoken for at this point. Performance wise, the IS 500’s are all the same with the V8 engine, a Torsen limited slip rear differential, up-sized brakes and Yamaha rear performance dampers. Oh and the IS 500 gets the quad, slant stacked exhaust tips that have been on the F cars since the 08 IS F.

Being a Lexus starting at over $57,000 it’s nice to see things like heated and ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel, power tilt and telescoping wheel, LED headlamps and of course all their safety and advanced driver assistance features like adaptive cruise control and blind spot detection are standard.

For an extra $4,500 the Premium trim adds the triple-beam LED headlamps, a 10.3″ widescreen infotainment screen, Mark Levinson audio system, factory navigation, a 360-degree parking camera view and power rear sunshade, but performance remains the same.

Two-tone interior brightens up the cabin a bit.

Quick Drive

Start up the IS 500 and you can immediately feel that this is something more than the IS 350. Where the IS 350 always sounds and feels a bit like a sewing machine to me, the IS 500 has a bit more bravado in its tone, even at idle. The V8 coaxes you into stabbing at the accelerator just to hear the engine one more time. I remember how stiff legged the 2008 IS F was, it got successively better with nearly every model year as the team continued to tweak and improve it. The IS 500 doesn’t suffer from any of that, with a pretty mellow setup that would be perfectly acceptable for all your day to day needs over nearly anything but the harshest of pavement issues. Would you want this setup on a racetrack, probably not, but I don’t live on one and I’m pretty sure 99.9% of you all don’t either. Tearing around some backroads the IS is a willing and playful partner, especially since it’s balanced with a rear wheel drive only setup. The steering, while somewhat hefty, isn’t the quickest I’ve ever driven and the brakes, while big, aren’t branded Brembos or anything of that variety so they didn’t have the strongest initial bite, but are instead well-calibrated for your regular life needs. I can appreciate that Lexus didn’t feel it was appropriate to label this car an IS F, but it begs the question, is an IS F coming? As of right now, the only “F” in the lineup is the equally aged RC F, which uses the same engine. Lexus could have shoved the turbo V6 from the LS 500 into the IS and called it a day (and maybe they should have) but I’m glad they are keeping V8’s alive for now.

Interior looks largely the same with the IS that debuted back in 2014.

Improvement Points

While the exterior got a significant revamp, the interior experience is a bit ho hum. Yes, they put a wider screen in and the touchscreen capability is back for Lexus, but the phone connectivity is still a wired affair. The graphics and instrumentation for the HVAC controls also look like something out of a 20 year old car, but at least it retains general ***** and buttons for most controls. Does anyone really value an analog clock in the dash these days? On the other end of the vehicle, Lexus needs to go full F on this chassis. It’s a bit perplexing that it’s taken them 8 years to even get us this F SPORT Performance model, seems like a bit of a cop out. Will we get another IS F before the Lexus brand jumps to the electric side of the industry?

Interesting door pad graphics, but feels a bit low cost relative to other Lexus efforts.
Old 03-11-22, 08:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Start up the IS 500 and you can immediately feel that this is something more than the IS 350. Where the IS 350 always sounds and feels a bit like a sewing machine to me
IS350 doesn't sound like a sewing machine to me. Here's my 2nd Gen on a brief run

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vfVTPhqjYtU7z1Ey9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3QRCrjfi4QGtGEC9
Old 03-11-22, 08:40 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
IS350 doesn't sound like a sewing machine to me. Here's my 2nd Gen on a brief run

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vfVTPhqjYtU7z1Ey9
I definitely get sewing machine vibes from that footage when the engine is around 2000 RPM or so. It's a smooth engine. It just has some higher-pitched noises that come out at low RPM that give it an interesting sound. Ever since I first heard someone say it sounds like a sewing machine (I believe it was Alex on Autos) I couldn't un-hear it.
Old 03-11-22, 08:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Such a beautiful car. Best looking and sounding car in the segment by a country mile. That red looks spectacular
Old 03-11-22, 08:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07
I definitely get sewing machine vibes from that footage when the engine is around 2000 RPM or so. It's a smooth engine. It just has some higher-pitched noises that come out at low RPM that give it an interesting sound. Ever since I first heard someone say it sounds like a sewing machine (I believe it was Alex on Autos) I couldn't un-hear it.
It definitely doesn't sound as good as that burbling V8, but sewing machine? A Type R sounds like a sewing machine
Old 03-11-22, 08:46 AM
arentz07
drives cars

It definitely doesn't sound as good as that burbling V8, but sewing machine? A Type R sounds like a sewing machine
I think you mean - a Type R sounds like a blender.

Sewing machine is not necessarily an insult. I think it has a nice smooth sound.

Anyway, back to V-8's which don't sound like appliances.
Old 03-11-22, 08:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I think you mean - a Type R sounds like a blender.

Sewing machine is not necessarily an insult. I think it has a nice smooth sound.

Anyway, back to V-8's which don't sound like appliances.
My poor NA V6.......don't worry, I still love you
Old 03-11-22, 08:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

My poor NA V6.......don't worry, I still love you
It's ok. I have the same engine (sort of, anyway) in my 2021. It's a nice engine. Does it wow me with the power? No. But it feels smooth and is easy to drive fast. Sounds a lot better than most of what the competition offers for the same money and has fully-defeatable fake engine sounds too unlike the Germans.

Same could be said of the IS 500. Compared to an M340i or an S4, is the acceleration impressive? Not really. But it is smooth and sounds way better. I like the way Lexus prioritizes the experience over numbers with the IS.
Old 03-11-22, 08:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It's ok. I have the same engine (sort of, anyway) in my 2021. It's a nice engine. Does it wow me with the power? No. But it feels smooth and is easy to drive fast. Sounds a lot better than most of what the competition offers for the same money and has fully-defeatable fake engine sounds too unlike the Germans.

Same could be said of the IS 500. Compared to an M340i or an S4, is the acceleration impressive? Not really. But it is smooth and sounds way better. I like the way Lexus prioritizes the experience over numbers with the IS.
That's why I love Lexus. They stick with tried and true. I was having this same discussion in the German engineering vs Asian/American (something like that). I'm glad they didn't try to fill a paper with a bunch of numbers and stayed away from forced induction
Old 03-11-22, 08:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I would get the IS500 over the M340 or S4 all day. A little bit slower doesn't matter. An M340 and S4 are no doubt decently quick but really not that impressive and certainly not enough to overcome the other benefits of the IS500. At least the IS500 will smoke the slow TLX Type S
Old 03-11-22, 09:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm curious if IS500's are being delivered. Has anyone that ordered one received their cars yet?
Old 03-11-22, 09:26 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

that v6 engine indestructible; I remember when the new IS350s came out in the 07 it basically out performed alot of cars. some of my friends have more than 250k on this is350.

Old 03-12-22, 01:39 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Such a beautiful car. Best looking and sounding car in the segment by a country mile. That red looks spectacular
They should just keep the same design for the 5th generation Lexus IS and put it on a brand new chassis/powertrain. That's what a homerun I think the current design is.
Old 03-12-22, 09:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

A sewing machine is a precision instrument. It would be compliment to refer to it as a sewing machine. My 4.7 V8 revs like a sewing machine, super smooth...no vibration. Mechanical perfection