Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second Car - Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 08:34 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i know, but reflecting, i think that the only used vehicle that i would purchase would be a low mileage pre-owned lc500 only because it's a lexus and i know the thing will last forever if it's been properly maintained and it's easy to look up vehicle service history via the lexus drivers website when you input the vin.

i have the same concerns with the s4 so i might wind up keeping the m35i for a while longer because the s4 really is the only option right now in the compact luxury sports sedan segment that i find appealing and i'd like more options. we'll see, but if i wind up keeping the m35i for a year or so longer while my SO buys whatever, then that's an okay situation with me. definitely first world problem and not the end of the world.

some lexus dealership just contacted me about a 2021 RC350 F Sport which i hadn't really considered but if the deal is good enough i know that car will also last forever. i have never driven one and from reviews online there are some journalists who say it's a boat while others say it's heavy but handles well, it's just underpowered. the 2021 also gets apple carplay which is a huge deal for me. it kinda piqued my interest...kinda.
Your going to be disappointed with the speed compared to what you drive now. The RC is sloooow and after your test drive of the S4, really not competitive. I think you'll be surprised at your test drive of the S4. It'll probably be much better than your current m35i if it has the dynamic steering package. Also, wireless Apple carplay is way better which i believe the S4 now has. Let us know your experience with the S4.
Old 02-18-21, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just from an outside observer what Im seeing is you're restraining yourself to buy cars that are less than what you really want and thats causing you to get dissatisfied with them and trade out of them after a short time. The net cost of this is HUGE, and you could drive a much more expensive car that you would be satisfied with for longer. My advice would be, bite the bullet and get what you want.
ah, sounds familiar.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think you've moved around different vehicles because you're trying to find something special without spending a fortune, or your needs are conflicting. ...
So my advice, sell a few watches and get an LC500.
Old 02-18-21, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

p.s. i have my second moderna covid vaccine today
no resentment just curious, how as a millennial have you been able to get the vaccine already?

some lexus dealership just contacted me about a 2021 RC350 F Sport which i hadn't really considered but if the deal is good enough i know that car will also last forever.
somehow i don't think you need to be concerned about 'forever'
Old 02-18-21, 08:48 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

BTW the one S4 you mentioned was a Prestige model and they can be hard to come by. I personally wouldn’t get any other model but the Prestige and it happens to be one of the exact color combos you are considering so good luck.
Old 02-18-21, 08:57 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

no resentment just curious, how as a millennial have you been able to get the vaccine already?
i work in education - in administration at the district level, specifically in literacy curriculum and development, but i also have to work with teachers and children (i was a former kindergarten teacher prior to moving into higher-level administration) in demonstrating proper literacy teaching, particularly to those who are nascent readers and writers, so grades k-2 is my specialty. i've completed a number of post-graduate courses and am currently a doctoral student studying, you guessed it, literacy education within the lower primary grades and disparate worlds of thought on literacy teaching techniques that exist in america vs those that exist within the eu, where i'm also a citizen (catalunya, españa).

so, in short, i work in education, so i'm allowed to get the vaccine in california even though we are all working remotely like everyone else.
Old 02-18-21, 08:58 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
BTW the one S4 you mentioned was a Prestige model and they can be hard to come by. I personally wouldn’t get any other model but the Prestige and it happens to be one of the exact color combos you are considering so good luck.
yep, that's right. if i'm gonna buy an s4 it has to be the color combo that i want with the prestige package! if i'm buying, then i'm going all in!

okay, i have to get ready to do things, prepare documents, go get my vaccine. i'll be back later to update with either a new car...or not!
Old 02-18-21, 09:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

yep, that's right. if i'm gonna buy an s4 it has to be the color combo that i want with the prestige package! if i'm buying, then i'm going all in!

okay, i have to get ready to do things, prepare documents, go get my vaccine. i'll be back later to update with either a new car...or not!
Color is actually so important. If it were me I'd probably be afraid someone else would ****** up the color I wanted. Though, it seems like that car is selling slowly, so...

Best of luck!
Old 02-18-21, 11:04 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

I’m waiting to get my second dose of the vaccine and I drove the BMW spiritedly here and I am so on the fence and I haven’t even driven the S4.

It is a good little car and I see again what initially attracted me to it. Here it is photographed just a few mins ago.

Ahhhh! I don’t know what to do! Not that anyone here can really advise me. The BMW’s performance is good save for the height. It’s nimble. It has great tech, although not Audi great but it is noisy on the highway and that bugs me.

Ahhhhh!!!

Old 02-18-21, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If I can butt in for minute (and, davy, correct me if I'm wrong) people in the education-field are one of the more-important priorities, after senior citizens and those in the health-care field.

Old 02-18-21, 11:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If I can butt in for minute (and, davy, correct me if I'm wrong) people in the education-field are one of the more-important priorities, after senior citizens and those in the health-care field.
Depends on the state. My wife is a teacher but won't likely be eligible until May. The school year will be nearly over before she gets hers.
Old 02-18-21, 12:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

ah, sounds familiar.
When you're right, you're right! lol
Old 02-18-21, 12:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If I can butt in for minute
when has anything ever stopped you?

(and, davy, correct me if I'm wrong) people in the education-field are one of the more-important priorities, after senior citizens and those in the health-care field.
respect to davy but he doesn't go anywhere near children and he's young. vaccinating TEACHERS as a priority *IF THEY AGREE TO ACTUALLY TEACH, IN ACTUAL CLASSROOMS, WITH ACTUAL CHILDREN PRESENT* i can understand.

anyway, back to the S4 that davy will have later today.
Old 02-18-21, 12:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

On the very few occasions where I don't think I know what I'm talking about LOL.

respect to davy but he doesn't go anywhere near children and he's young. vaccinating TEACHERS as a priority *IF THEY AGREE TO ACTUALLY TEACH, IN ACTUAL CLASSROOMS, WITH ACTUAL CHILDREN PRESENT* i can understand.
Remember, though.....in most states, vaccine-priorities are given out in a bureaucratic manner, based on paper-statitistics, not necessarily real-life conditions. What qualifies as "health-care", "education", or other important professions might not be, on paper, what you and I would consider them.

Well, if he does come home with one, he will be the first to get my congratulations. But that will be his decision.
Old 02-18-21, 12:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

We should make a poll haha
Old 02-18-21, 12:35 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

okay i totally laughed out loud at the 'when has anything ever stopped you?' to mike ahahaha.

Well, if he does come home with one, he will be the first to get my congratulations. But that will be his decision.
mike's the best. such a good person!

no, i'm actually on the fence on not going at all only because of the hassle of tinting and clear bra-ing and thinking about extended warranties. buying a car is only fun when you really want to buy a car and my SO might be the one buying the car if i decide that i'm going to keep the x2. it's not fun when you *have* to buy a car because it's like this unexpected event that you have to work around and blah blah blah.

as for education, yes, we are prioritized and there is talk of teachers going back in the classroom -- because i work directly with teachers in teaching them how to teach literacy by modeling with children, it's not like i'm sitting at the district office in a corner office with a window overlooking wine country. that's what superintendents do all day long. i've chosen a more interactive career path, and while we are working remotely for now, that may change really at any moment, so, yeah, i definitely need the vaccination especially since teachers are so out of it when it comes to tech and teaching and they're going to be equally out of it when it comes to hybridization and seating kids a million feet apart while trying to hold a guided reading group. it's a total cluster.

but back to the s4, should i go see this vehicle or should i not? my main complaints with the x2 are the overall refinement of the ride, the noise level within the cabin, and the height which leads to mediocre cornering as it's a cuv.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
We should make a poll haha
i also laughed out loud at this. i swear, i'm trying to show restraint and maybe go and decide against it or maybe not go at all.

Last edited by davyjordi; 02-18-21 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Second Car - Help Needed!