Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second Car - Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 12:49 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

so let's break this down. the sticker on the car is 66,815 and the dealership is giving me a total discount of 7,500 dollars on an s4 prestige with like every package imaginable. the vehicle would not be purchased with the x2 at all in the picture be my spouse would take it.

so the out-the-door price is something like 65k with taxes, title, blah blah blah. is this reasonable from just an OTD price standpoint on this vehicle specced as it is? i need you all to chime in because i have like an hour and a half to decide whether i'm going to resist the force or whether i'm going to go march on in.

so pragmatism is perhaps an issue here when i feel like i'm being a baby with first-world problems driving the highest specced x2 which isn't an inexpensive vehicle either. i feel like i'm a kardashian or something living the stereotypical socal life hahha

Last edited by davyjordi; 02-18-21 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-18-21, 01:20 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like you want to buy a newer car for the sake of it. You have a pretty good car that you’re trying to get rid of by coming up with excuses most wouldn’t complain about.

I know you said money is not an issue but, unless the check from the parents is on the condition of buying a car, would it be so bad to wait and wait for something that truly gets your attention? Go buy crypto or something or the CPO’ed LC500.

Just saying.
Old 02-18-21, 01:26 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

okay, so i'm not going.

the x2 is going to remain mine, spouse will be the purchaser.

it just doesn't make sense and buying when i don't want to necessarily buy but when we were forced to because we need a second car is never fun and that has sucked the fun out of this situation. and we do need another car, but i'm keeping mine and my spouse can get whatever.

so whoever bet that i was coming home with an s4, bam, you bet incorrectly!
Old 02-18-21, 01:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

$65k for an S4 which will be worth $15k less the moment you take delivery.

I’m still confused what the purpose of this car is - weekend, daily, spirited driving etc. What exactly makes you want to get this car in particular?

I would spend months looking for the “right” car before i pull the trigger since its not a “need” but nice to have. What’s the rush?

I looked at probably 50cars before I bought my 911 last year and test drove 6 different 911s alone lol.
The hunt for the car is the best part of getting one.
Old 02-18-21, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Go see it, no reason not to
Old 02-18-21, 01:39 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I’m still confused what the purpose of this car is - weekend, daily, spirited driving etc. What exactly makes you want to get this car in particular?

I would spend months looking for the “right” car before i pull the trigger since its not a “need” but nice to have. What’s the rush?

I looked at probably 50cars before I bought my 911 last year and test drove 6 different 911s alone lol.
You bought the 911? You usually lease right?
Old 02-18-21, 01:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
You bought the 911? You usually lease right?
I own 911 and M3.
Lease X3.

Cars that i plan to keep awhile and use sparingly no point to lease.
My BRZ i owned for 6 years.
Old 02-18-21, 02:08 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

dealership sales manager is freaking out calling, texting and emailing me lol
Old 02-18-21, 02:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Go test drive it. Its always fun to try new things
Old 02-18-21, 02:12 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
so let's break this down. the sticker on the car is 66,815 and the dealership is giving me a total discount of 7,500 dollars on an s4 prestige with like every package imaginable. the vehicle would not be purchased with the x2 at all in the picture be my spouse would take it.

so the out-the-door price is something like 65k with taxes, title, blah blah blah. is this reasonable from just an OTD price standpoint on this vehicle specced as it is? i need you all to chime in because i have like an hour and a half to decide whether i'm going to resist the force or whether i'm going to go march on in.
I know you already decided (for now ) not to go see it, but this 11.2% discount does seem like fairly solid deal. One gotcha to be aware of if it does have every package, is that while the Warm Weather package adds ventilated seats and rear sun shades, it removes the sexy quilted leather/alcantara S sport seats, along with their massaging function. Yes, more first-world problems.
Old 02-18-21, 02:13 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

it is a need. the rush was that we need two cars in the household because my spouse has been working from home but now has to regularly drive south into north county and i use my car not daily at present, but enough to warrant the need for another car.

it wasn't planned and as i said, the fun is kinda sucked out of the whole experience when it isn't a planned purchase but rather one that has to be made out of necessity. just to reiterate, we still do need another car, but i'm going to keep the x2 and my SO will be purchasing whatever is decided upon but not decided upon by me.
Old 02-18-21, 02:34 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Seriously, go look and test drive the car! You made it this far along in the process and it’s a nice car. Tonight you will be regretting not going to look at it and will end up there tomorrow anyway.
Old 02-18-21, 02:36 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

okay i totally laughed out loud at the 'when has anything ever stopped you?' to mike ahahaha.[size=33px]
[/size]

I have to say I also laughed out loud to the point where my wife looked at me like I had three heads.
Old 02-18-21, 02:43 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
Seriously, go look and test drive the car! You made it this far along in the process and it’s a nice car. Tonight you will be regretting not going to look at it and will end up there tomorrow anyway.
it is a nice car, but i feel like damn, i want to take my time and explore this and that and while i did take this week to do that, it wasn't fun. i want to do it when i want to do it not when i need to do it. there's a huge difference. this felt pressured and stressful and now that i've put it in my head that i'm not going, that the x2 is fine (for now), i feel relief. i don't think i'll wind up there tomorrow. if it were the same deal but on an lc500, then hell yeah, i'd be there, but it's not.
Old 02-18-21, 05:05 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

it is a nice car, but i feel like damn, i want to take my time and explore this and that and while i did take this week to do that, it wasn't fun. i want to do it when i want to do it not when i need to do it. there's a huge difference. this felt pressured and stressful and now that i've put it in my head that i'm not going, that the x2 is fine (for now), i feel relief. i don't think i'll wind up there tomorrow. if it were the same deal but on an lc500, then hell yeah, i'd be there, but it's not.
Davy, ask your close friends and family what you'd be happiest with. They know you best and what would satisfy you the most., we haven't a clue. My wife is perfume expert from France, and a lot goes into picking the right fragrance. If you tell her your hobbies, your likes, your dislikes, your hair color, eye color, favorite food, height, weights an on and on, she can pick the perfect fragrance for anyone, and to date has never picked the wrong scent for any of her clients. Picking luxury cars is much the same. Beyond just normal forms of Transport a Car can, and In America, Often is an outward expression of the inner you. The folks best aligned to advise both you and your SO are your close friends and Family, not a bunch of us techtarded old washed up dudes on the interweb.

From a purely practical perspective I still think you and SO would be most happy with an LC500. It really is a Patek for a Rolex price its THAT good of a car. You are actually lucky to even be within reach of one. ( yes I realize its now on to the SO)

Its been a fun thread watching your thought process evolve.

Quick Reply: Second Car - Help Needed!