Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second Car - Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 01:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i saw that reveal this morning and was surprised that lexus actually made that happen! i would get an is500 if it looked stunning, but i don't like the way the car looks at all. also, we need a second car in the next few weeks, not in several months.
i don't think i need that much power haha, but i wouldn't buy the car anyway because i don't like the way the new IS looks.

am i justified in thinking the S4 looks plain jane or am i not seeing it as i once did perhaps because i was influenced by a number of people here who stuck it in my head that it looked plain jane rather than elegant as i once saw it? if not for my newly-perceived notions on how the vehicle looks, it's otherwise a fantastic car and the cabin is no doubt what i'm looking for.
Personally I think Audi design peaked about six years ago. Since then they look too close in body lines to their VW cousins. I loved the first Q7 and then when the second generation came out they seemingly lowered it and made it look squished, yuck. Audi exteriors don't feel as special to me anymore IMO. Audi interiors are not my thing either, they have the most boring Teutonic looking interior of the big three (Audi, BMW, Benz), and it just seems more cookie cutter. I have not been in a new A4, but I did sit in a 2016 S6 and I was not impressed by some of the material choices for that caliber of car. Since you don't like the M340i, have you considered the AMG C 43 sedan? You could also find an amazing deal on an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport.
Old 02-22-21, 02:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Personally I think Audi design peaked about six years ago. Since then they look too close in body lines to their VW cousins. I loved the first Q7 and then when the second generation came out they seemingly lowered it and made it look squished, yuck. Audi exteriors don't feel as special to me anymore IMO. Audi interiors are not my thing either, they have the most boring Teutonic looking interior of the big three (Audi, BMW, Benz), and it just seems more cookie cutter. I have not been in a new A4, but I did sit in a 2016 S6 and I was not impressed by some of the material choices for that caliber of car. Since you don't like the M340i, have you considered the AMG C 43 sedan? You could also find an amazing deal on an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport.
I think the Q50 isn't worth it. I'd rather get a G70 Genesis as the interior quality is pretty good on those things. The Q50 isn't much faster than a G70 either and they are the same price after negotiations. If pure performance was a consideration, a Model 3 Performance would annihilate it at the same price but he actually wants quality in his car

Another option is a slightly used GSF / RCF or M3. They can be had for under $60k, certified pre-owned.
Old 02-22-21, 02:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

The S4 does look plain outside. Pretty sure like a dozen people told you that in the thread
Old 02-22-21, 02:08 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The S4 does look plain outside. Pretty sure like a dozen people told you that in the thread
like fifty million haha
Old 02-22-21, 02:10 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the Q50 isn't worth it. I'd rather get a G70 Genesis as the interior quality is pretty good on those things. The Q50 isn't much faster than a G70 either and they are the same price after negotiations. If pure performance was a consideration, a Model 3 Performance would annihilate it at the same price but he actually wants quality in his car

Another option is a slightly used GSF / RCF or M3. They can be had for under $60k, certified pre-owned.
i actually considered the rcf over the m3 only because i know the rcf would be able to take the abuse without too much trouble while who knows how the potential abuse endured by the m3 might affect the car years later. it's kind of sketchy purchasing a high-performance vehicle used because you don't know if the previous owner was totally irresponsible whilst driving it or whether it was well cared for.
Old 02-22-21, 02:16 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
the infiniti's interior is horrendous for the class and the exterior of the q50 isn't proportioned well. the q60, however, is beaaaaautifully styled and i have considered that vehicle but was on the fence because of the interior and the infotainment system - mostly the infotainment system.

the a4's interior is really rather plain compared to that of the s4. if the s4's interior looked like that of the a4's then i'd never consider it at all. i did look into the amg c 43 coupe but i'm a bit hesitant only because i know the next generation c-class is to be revealed tomorrow, i believe and will be on dealership lots at the end of the year or the beginning of next making my car old news with old tech which for some reason is acceptable with a lexus but not with a mercedes-amg product.

i actually thought of the regular rc350 but brand new but several people told me that it'd feel slow compared to what i'm driving now and it just might but i'd imagine it would be more fun. i feel lame for even wanting to consider the 2020 model of the IS350 f sport but seriously i would buy that iteration for the third time if i didn't feel so stupid about it. i did consider the 2021 is350 f sport but the looks don't do it for me.
Old 02-22-21, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you seen the 2021 IS in person? Its gorgeous, IMO. Much better looking than the 2020.
Old 02-22-21, 02:26 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Have you seen the 2021 IS in person? Its gorgeous, IMO. Much better looking than the 2020.
i have only seen it driving around but not following it around, rather just in passing on the other side of the road. maybe i should take a trip down to my local lexus dealership?
Old 02-22-21, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would go look at one in person and really spend some time with it. The styling is really well done IMO.
Old 02-22-21, 02:30 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

i think i have some reflecting to do. i hate having to car shop when i don't want to.
Old 02-22-21, 02:38 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

I would go look at one in person and really spend some time with it. The styling is really well done IMO.
i feel like between the new IS and old RC that the RC is the better looking vehicle and even then i'm not crazy about it. that's the thing, i'm not crazy about anything which i guess means we should just buy another car and keep the x2 but i can't shove the x2 onto my SO bc it's just not very...fun? i mean, i guess it's fun, but it's not very elegant, really. so that means that i'm stuck with it and that's annoying. first world problems, but annoying ones nonetheless.
Old 02-22-21, 08:50 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

i feel like between the new IS and old RC that the RC is the better looking vehicle and even then i'm not crazy about it. that's the thing, i'm not crazy about anything which i guess means we should just buy another car and keep the x2 but i can't shove the x2 onto my SO bc it's just not very...fun? i mean, i guess it's fun, but it's not very elegant, really. so that means that i'm stuck with it and that's annoying. first world problems, but annoying ones nonetheless.
If you have to buy a car to please your SO ask what they want buy it and be done with it. Simple. in which case the opinions of posters here matters not a lick.

in the mean time Lexus IS coming out with the v8 In The IS. Now that would scratch your carnut itch in a big way. It’s an intoxicating engine. Very. And in an understated sleeper of a car Rent a Tesla model 3 or Audi s4 until then or whatever your SO wants
Old 02-23-21, 04:55 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Well, here we are. Better pictures to come when I’m not exhausted. Daytona Gray Pearl over Magma Red 2021 S4 Prestige.

Old 02-23-21, 04:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Congrats. Beautiful car
Old 02-23-21, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, if he does come home with one (an S4), he will be the first to get my congratulations. But that will be his decision.

^^^^^ My Hearty Congratulations...............I'm keeping my promise. And I see you found one with the red interior you wanted.

I'm sure you are going to enjoy it, despite any ribbing you've taken from other posters here.

Since it's a performance-car, I know you're probably eager to punch it once or twice. Some people may tell you there's no need for a formal break-in any more.....I disagree. The engineers still put the requirement in the Owners' Manual, usually for around 500 miles now instead of the former 1000. Take it easy on both engine and brakes for that initial period, then you can drive it with a little more gusto if you want.

Quick Reply: Second Car - Help Needed!