Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second Car - Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 01:47 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Sounds like you don’t need 4 doors - what about a BMW M240? Seems like the size and performance you are seeking.

I like the G70 and Guilia recommendations too, if you just don’t feel the M340 which is probably best in class. We’ve had 3 Volvos since 2012, including 2 S60’s, and never needed a repair. Caddy is even improving their game with the newest version of CT4.

The S4 is a great car and seems to be your preference. I’d go with the blue.😄

Good luck but while none might be perfect it’s hard to make a bad choice in this segment. Pick the one you like best.

thanks! i'm going shopping friday or maybe not haha. i guess we don't *need* another car, it would just be majorly convenient to have another car and since i have to pay anyway, might as well pay for something i actually want to drive. the s4 is the closest thing that i have come across. i did think of the m2 comp but thought it might be too rough of a ride (i'm not sure if the m2 comp comes with adaptive dampers?) the m240i is a good little car, but the m2 comp looks way cooler.
Old 02-15-21, 02:08 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

also, i really do like the volvo s60! i know no one else does, but i do -- but i don't like the price that they charge for the t8 whatever iteration.
Old 02-15-21, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
thanks! i'm going shopping friday or maybe not haha. i guess we don't *need* another car, it would just be majorly convenient to have another car and since i have to pay anyway, might as well pay for something i actually want to drive. the s4 is the closest thing that i have come across. i did think of the m2 comp but thought it might be too rough of a ride (i'm not sure if the m2 comp comes with adaptive dampers?) the m240i is a good little car, but the m2 comp looks way cooler.
It will be interesting to hear what you think of the S4. It's a great sports sedan with a good balance of performance, ride and handling. I've had two Audi's recently (Q5 and A6) and both were great vehicles that were solid and reliable. As you mentioned, it seems hard to find anything other than black interiors on Audi's in dealer inventory. Black isn't bad IMO but it's nice to be able to see some other color choices. Good luck.
Old 02-15-21, 03:43 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It will be interesting to hear what you think of the S4. It's a great sports sedan with a good balance of performance, ride and handling. I've had two Audi's recently (Q5 and A6) and both were great vehicles that were solid and reliable. As you mentioned, it seems hard to find anything other than black interiors on Audi's in dealer inventory. Black isn't bad IMO but it's nice to be able to see some other color choices. Good luck.
thanks! i'll keep everyone updated! i'm still trying to source a non-black interior s4. we'll see!
Old 02-15-21, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

thanks! i'll keep everyone updated! i'm still trying to source a non-black interior s4. we'll see!
Maybe you can order one. Audi gives you a choice of black or red, depending on trim version.

I agree with you that I'm not a fan of black interiors either, but it is pretty much the standard color for sport-themed interiors, and can be difficult to avoid if you are going to go that route.

https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo...gine-trim.html
Old 02-15-21, 04:07 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

also, i really do like the volvo s60! i know no one else does, but i do -- but i don't like the price that they charge for the t8 whatever iteration.
I like the S60 a lot, so there are at least two of us! I had a T6 as a loaner during one of our oil changes. Very quick car that includes complimentary service and gets great fuel economy. It has plenty of space yet compact exterior dimensions, almost the complete opposite of the new TLX, despite sharing a similar rwd stance. The interior feels nicer than any other make under six figures.
Old 02-15-21, 04:09 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe you can order one. Audi gives you a choice of black or red, depending on trim version.

I agree with you that I'm not a fan of black interiors either, but it is pretty much the standard color for sport-themed interiors, and can be difficult to avoid if you are gong to go that route.

https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo...gine-trim.html
One great thing about BMW, MB and Porsche - sport trim doesn’t lock one into a red or black interior. This is frustrating on Acuras and Volvos and now the new IS.
Old 02-15-21, 06:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

^^ yeah, that's arriving in 2022, right? it's a good looking car, for sure. i think it's actually their best looking yet.
i believe it will be here this year, possibly soon.
Old 02-15-21, 06:58 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

yeah, i would prefer not to order one only because we would rather not wait the forever and three years it's going to take for it to be produced and delivered, likely majorly delayed due to covid-related everything. i did find white with red but not blue with red (i did find blue with light grey but light grey just doesn't do it for me in the latest s4) -- i also found a highly specced grey over red but i'm not sure i want to pay as much as the car has in options. that said, i have an appointment with the dealership on friday to see the car as that's my soonest availability as the dealership carrying the car is in rancho mirage which is forever away. we'lllll seeeeee!

that's interesting, bit. i thought that the g70 was pushed back a bit, but who knows - the hyundai/kia group is refreshing models super quickly while lexus is taking forever and a day.

and yeah, the s60 is a good car and i hope volvo continues on a successful trajectory. for the price of a t8 polestar engineered, however, i'd rather get the audi. it's just too pricey at like 60k sticker for the brand to be charging that sort of money for their product no matter how good it is - and it's good, but not *that* good.
Old 02-15-21, 09:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

i did find white with red but not blue with red
I wouldn't hold my breath looking for a red interior with blue paint.
Old 02-15-21, 11:28 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd recommend against the A4/S4 on the basis of the car dating back to 2015 with almost no major changes since. I would not be surprised to see a new model announced this year for the next MY, especially as the new C-Class will also soon make its debut.

As for the G70, the car has been sold in Korea since 2017 and was supposed to be here for the 2018 MY had it not been for the Genesis dealership fiasco that took place that year. Refreshes every three years are pretty commonplace. Unfortunately, we have no idea what powertrains will be available on the refresh version for the U.S. market- whether the 2.5T and 3.5TT will replace the 2.0T and 3.3TT.
Old 02-16-21, 01:26 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motorola
I'd recommend against the A4/S4 on the basis of the car dating back to 2015 with almost no major changes since. I would not be surprised to see a new model announced this year for the next MY, especially as the new C-Class will also soon make its debut.

As for the G70, the car has been sold in Korea since 2017 and was supposed to be here for the 2018 MY had it not been for the Genesis dealership fiasco that took place that year. Refreshes every three years are pretty commonplace. Unfortunately, we have no idea what powertrains will be available on the refresh version for the U.S. market- whether the 2.5T and 3.5TT will replace the 2.0T and 3.3TT.
the a4/s4 (B9) was last refreshed in 2018 and fully redesigned exterior wise in 2020. i would expect several more years of life out of this generation of vehicles. and who knows what the next gen is going to bring as the new c-class that you mentioned will only offer 4-cylinder petrol engines even on amg models along with electrification. not enthused about that even though it's a step in the right direction. we are living amongst the last surviving gas-powered performance vehicles right now. also, with audi's evolutionary design rather than revolutionary design, i'm not terribly concerned that the car will look outdated. audi's restrained styling helps the vehicles age quite well and i'm more than happy with the powertrain in the s4 model. i'm not conclusively saying that i'm buying an s4, i'm stating my argument for doing so should i happen to.

Last edited by davyjordi; 02-16-21 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-16-21, 01:35 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wouldn't hold my breath looking for a red interior with blue paint.
oh, i know. that would be a funky combo for sure.
Old 02-16-21, 04:38 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I would test drive all of them and see what has the best combination of everything you want out of the car. Test driving each may surprise you. I test drove three competitors in the same class you are looking at and I ended up with the one that was last on my radar for some of the reasons you mentioned but it was the best overall csr I drove. Hard to argue against a Model 3 Performance and I get what you are saying about seeing them everywhere but you should test drive one just to see how that drives too.
Old 02-16-21, 06:03 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
I would test drive all of them and see what has the best combination of everything you want out of the car. Test driving each may surprise you. I test drove three competitors in the same class you are looking at and I ended up with the one that was last on my radar for some of the reasons you mentioned but it was the best overall csr I drove. Hard to argue against a Model 3 Performance and I get what you are saying about seeing them everywhere but you should test drive one just to see how that drives too.
that's a really good idea. the model 3 kinda looks like a fish or a turtle or something, but everyone raves about the performance.

audi is still on top, at least aesthetically. overnight i did find a reasonably priced volvo s60 t8 polestar engineered which is tempting with its 400+ hp and tq.

i took a good look at the cla and c-class lineup and i'm just not feeling them. i prefer the looks of the cla amg 35 over the looks of any c-class, though and only because the c-class has a oddly cutoff or upturned rear.

i kinda am on the fence on the s5 but the exterior i don't think is as timeless as the s4's. it's just not a beautiful coupe in my eyes.

i sent a few dealerships inquiries on m2 competitions buttttt i'm not holding my breath on getting any discounts on an m2 comp and they are expensive for what you get.

i looked at giulias but i can't stomach the cheap interior.

the new g70 won't be out for several more months i'm guessing as there is no definitive timeline per their website and the brand just doesn't have the cache that the others do.

lexus is out. infiniti is a joke. acura is tier two. cadillac is out. doesn't leave much.

Quick Reply: Second Car - Help Needed!