Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second Car - Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 06:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I understand the desire not to order in the current climate. Thats one reason why I didnt order the 750 and got an on the lot S560.

IMO if you want a really dynamic sport sedan, you can't get away from the difference between a proper RWD setup vs a FWD based setup. Cars like the S60, CLA, and even the S4 are just never going to feel like something like a C43 or a BMW 340 or even an IS350...

If you drive them, the CLA is just not on the same planet as a C Class.
Old 02-16-21, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
lexus is out. infiniti is a joke. acura is tier two. cadillac is out. doesn't leave much.
why is cadillac out? i think the new CT4 and CT5 are great. reviews are great too. but it seems brand is VERY important to you.

Old 02-16-21, 07:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why is cadillac out? i think the new CT4 and CT5 are great. reviews are great too. but it seems brand is VERY important to you.
Totally agree, Cadillac has new models that would fit the bill well.
Old 02-16-21, 07:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

that's a really good idea. the model 3 kinda looks like a fish or a turtle or something, but everyone raves about the performance.

audi is still on top, at least aesthetically. overnight i did find a reasonably priced volvo s60 t8 polestar engineered which is tempting with its 400+ hp and tq.

i took a good look at the cla and c-class lineup and i'm just not feeling them. i prefer the looks of the cla amg 35 over the looks of any c-class, though and only because the c-class has a oddly cutoff or upturned rear.

i kinda am on the fence on the s5 but the exterior i don't think is as timeless as the s4's. it's just not a beautiful coupe in my eyes.

i sent a few dealerships inquiries on m2 competitions buttttt i'm not holding my breath on getting any discounts on an m2 comp and they are expensive for what you get.

i looked at giulias but i can't stomach the cheap interior.

the new g70 won't be out for several more months i'm guessing as there is no definitive timeline per their website and the brand just doesn't have the cache that the others do.

lexus is out. infiniti is a joke. acura is tier two. cadillac is out. doesn't leave much.
I test drove a lot of cars and I really liked the Audi. Best interior and feels luxurious. The M340 is such a hoot too...but you hate the look so thats a deal killer. The Model 3 isn't a luxury car so keep that in mind...go test drive one for kicks and make sure its a Performance version. I personally would get an S5 for the looks alone over the S4. The hatch on the S5 is very spacious and makes the car SUV like. Have you looked into a used GSF? They go for about $60k used and you don't have to worry about the warranty with a Lexus.
Old 02-16-21, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I too would choose an S5 Sportback all day over an S4...much better looking car IMO. I know the OP mentioned earlier it was "too big", well its actually .2 inches shorter than an S4, S4 is 187.5 inches long, S5 Sportback is 187.3 inches long.

I don't care for the looks of the C Class sedan either, too stubby, The coupe however is gorgeous. Thats an issue I have with cars in this class, they look stubby like longer car styling is applied to a smaller car, A4/S4 included. The Sportbacks solve that issue.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-16-21 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-16-21, 08:21 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

thanks! i'm going shopping friday or maybe not haha. i guess we don't *need* another car, it would just be majorly convenient to have another car and since i have to pay anyway, might as well pay for something i actually want to drive. the s4 is the closest thing that i have come across. i did think of the m2 comp but thought it might be too rough of a ride (i'm not sure if the m2 comp comes with adaptive dampers?) the m240i is a good little car, but the m2 comp looks way cooler.
M2 comp has passive suspension.
M2cs has adaptive dampers and much better ride.
If you have the $$$ and really like M2 then go get the CS. It is a truly special car by all accounts and should retain value better than all the other options you are considering.
Old 02-16-21, 08:46 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

cadillac is out.
Even the CT4-V or CT4-V Blackwing? Seems like it would tick the boxes quite nicely. And there's even a MT in the Blackwing.
Old 02-16-21, 08:54 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

okay, so i totally get that the driving dynamics of a rwd sedan are way better than a fwd sedan, but i am going to use this vehicle primarily as a commuter and i know from past experiences with the a4 that the s4 is going to fit the bill pretty well. the thing that the s4 has that the others don't is the interior. the interior of the s4, particularly with the red leather, is phenomenal for the price point and the class. it's really class-leading.

i agree that the cla is out and really the volvo is out, even though the volvo is a quiet, comfortable car and in polestar form is good, but not good enough.

i know that audi is using a haldex awd system that's not true quattro in the sense that xdrive is on the rwd-biased cars, but i just don't see the appeal of the m340i or any c-class at this point. the next generation c-class is only going to be offered with an inline four that's also electrified which isn't so electrifying.

anyhow, i could buy the m2 cs, but no, i'm not going to spend that sort of money on a track car that will rarely see the track. i'd spend 65k on an m2 comp, though dealers are super hesitant to discount the vehicle even a penny. so, again, the comfort and elegance of the s4 is leading.

as for the s5 sportback being smaller, that's something that i didn't know and perhaps it has to do with other proportions that the car possesses but it looks larger. perhaps it's just the design itself.

i dunno. there are some c 43amg coupes that are pretty-ish. but ish is the problem. the cla i think is a really pretty vehicle but i don't want the cla 35 amg to be confused with the pedestrian version that everyone and their mother is going to get. i don't want to settle for ish. the s5 is again, compelling, but for whatever reason it's a 70k+ vehicle and i don't think it warrants that price at all.

there is a reason to look again at the 2020 is350 f sport. i cannot stand the way the new refresh looks, so the 2021 model is out. i dunno, though, if i can buy the same model three times each with a different engine. i know the 3.5l v6 is tried and true and will last forever, but zzzz after owning the car twice already and also owning a 2IS.

as for cadillac, i just don't like their models. i don't have a particular reason why but i can't see myself driving a cadillac even though their models aren't my grandfather's caddy.

so that leaves audi on the table and maybe something in the mercedes lineup? maybe the m2 comp if anyone will offer me more than a penny off sticker -- the cabin is severely lacking in luxury amenities and as a commuter at like 6:30am when i have to leave my house when the world opens up again and we aren't all working from home, i want a nice cabin and for the price..ehh. again, lexus is also still on the table but not the top choice.

i know that if i choose the audi s4 everyone is going to hate me lol.

Old 02-16-21, 08:55 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by geko29
Even the CT4-V or CT4-V Blackwing? Seems like it would tick the boxes quite nicely. And there's even a MT in the Blackwing.
the blackwing is okay but it's not out yet.
Old 02-16-21, 08:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

okay, so i totally get that the driving dynamics of a rwd sedan are way better than a fwd sedan, but i am going to use this vehicle primarily as a commuter and i know from past experiences with the a4 that the s4 is going to fit the bill pretty well. the thing that the s4 has that the others don't is the interior. the interior of the s4, particularly with the red leather, is phenomenal for the price point and the class. it's really class-leading.

i agree that the cla is out and really the volvo is out, even though the volvo is a quiet, comfortable car and in polestar form is good, but not good enough.

i know that audi is using a haldex awd system that's not true quattro in the sense that xdrive is on the rwd-biased cars, but i just don't see the appeal of the m340i or any c-class at this point. the next generation c-class is only going to be offered with an inline four that's also electrified which isn't so electrifying.

anyhow, i could buy the m2 cs, but no, i'm not going to spend that sort of money on a track car that will rarely see the track. i'd spend 65k on an m2 comp, though dealers are super hesitant to discount the vehicle even a penny. so, again, the comfort and elegance of the s4 is leading.

as for the s5 sportback being smaller, that's something that i didn't know and perhaps it has to do with other proportions that the car possesses but it looks larger. perhaps it's just the design itself.

i dunno. there are some c 43amg coupes that are pretty-ish. but ish is the problem. the cla i think is a really pretty vehicle but i don't want the cla 35 amg to be confused with the pedestrian version that everyone and their mother is going to get. i don't want to settle for ish. the s5 is again, compelling, but for whatever reason it's a 70k+ vehicle and i don't think it warrants that price at all.

there is a reason to look again at the 2020 is350 f sport. i cannot stand the way the new refresh looks, so the 2021 model is out. i dunno, though, if i can buy the same model three times each with a different engine. i know the 3.5l v6 is tried and true and will last forever, but zzzz after owning the car twice already and also owning a 2IS.

as for cadillac, i just don't like their models. i don't have a particular reason why but i can't see myself driving a cadillac even though their models aren't my grandfather's caddy.

so that leaves audi on the table and maybe something in the mercedes lineup? maybe the m2 comp if anyone will offer me more than a penny off sticker -- the cabin is severely lacking in luxury amenities and as a commuter at like 6:30am when i have to leave my house when the world opens up again and we aren't all working from home, i want a nice cabin and for the price..ehh. again, lexus is also still on the table but not the top choice.

i know that if i choose the audi s4 everyone is going to hate me lol.
The Haldex is only on the lower end A3/S3/RS3 models. The S4/S5 uses a torsen AWD system which is much better. Just FYI...
Old 02-16-21, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Have you gone to look at them, and/or test-drive them? It's easy to pan a CT4 or CT5 on paper, without a personal inspection.

I would, however, probably agree with you from a reliability standpoint. For whatever reasons, Cadillac products often seem to be at or near the low end of the reliability charts.
Old 02-16-21, 09:20 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Haldex is only on the lower end A3/S3/RS3 models. The S4/S5 uses a torsen AWD system which is much better. Just FYI...
oh! SEE, EVERYBODY!! the s4 isn't terrible!! lol
Old 02-16-21, 09:22 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you gone to look at them, and/or test-drive them? It's easy to pan a CT4 or CT5 on paper, without a personal inspection.

I would, however, probably agree with you from a reliability standpoint. For whatever reasons, Cadillac products often seem to be at or near the low end of the reliability charts.
they are, although their reliability is nowhere near the very bottom where jaguar land rover sit. the thing with the ct4 is that it simply isn't powerful enough, butttt it is the perfect size. it's slightly bigger than the s3, about the same size as the previous iteration of the IS, around the same size as the s4 and the unfortunate, but beautifully designed jaguar xe -- i love that size. like LOVE that size.
Old 02-16-21, 09:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

oh! SEE, EVERYBODY!! the s4 isn't terrible!! lol
Nobody said the S4 was terrible. It's a great car. You were asking for alternatives.

The Torsen T-3 center differential in the S4 (and our Q7) has a default torque split of 60 rear/40 front, and can shift 100% to the rear, or 80% to the front. Front and rear diffs are open with electronic (brake-based) limited slip, unless you option the sport rear differential, which is an electronically controlled, mechanical LSD.
Old 02-16-21, 09:43 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by geko29
Nobody said the S4 was terrible. It's a great car. You were asking for alternatives.

The Torsen T-3 center differential in the S4 has a default torque split of 60 rear/40 front, and can shift 100% to the rear, or 80% to the front. Front and rear diffs are open with electronic (brake-based) limited slip, unless you option the sport rear differential, which is an electronically controlled, mechanical LSD.
i know, and i really thank all you guys for helping me out -- i truly appreciate it. i like the s4 and i think that it meets my needs and comes in at around 60k, so it's within my allocated budget.

the m2 comp would be cool, but i think during the morning when i go back to working not remotely that it's going to be a brutal drive.

the s5 for whatever reason is quite a bit more expensive than the s4. i don't particularly want a used vehicle but i'm not totally opposed.

i decided that i can't buy a fourth lexus IS. i had the 2IS and then two 3IS models and i just can't lol

thanks for the explanation on the torsen diff -- it's super helpful in not making me think that i'm driving a tarted up a4 (well, that may be true to a certain extent, but only to a certain extent).

i wish the jaguar xe were still in production because with a warranty i'd consider that car.

Quick Reply: Second Car - Help Needed!