Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second Car - Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 09:56 AM
EdwardJd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asked a lot while price range is limited
Old 02-17-21, 10:31 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

I'm not one to comment on these things often, however, in comparison to the S4 I do recommend driving a Golf R. Although I'm a big Japanese car guy, I work for a euro shop here in Denver, Co. I drive these cars all day long, and to be honest, I prefer the Golf R in many ways. The S4 is roomier and perhaps a tad more luxurious, however, the Golf R is a TON of car for the money. They're smooth, tight, and quick. They can sit four comfortably, are relatively easy to maintain, and have a lot more room for fun mods compared to the S4.

At the end of the day, it's your life and your money, get what makes you excited!!
Old 02-17-21, 11:16 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I'm not one to comment on these things often, however, in comparison to the S4 I do recommend driving a Golf R. Although I'm a big Japanese car guy, I work for a euro shop here in Denver, Co. I drive these cars all day long, and to be honest, I prefer the Golf R in many ways. The S4 is roomier and perhaps a tad more luxurious, however, the Golf R is a TON of car for the money. They're smooth, tight, and quick. They can sit four comfortably, are relatively easy to maintain, and have a lot more room for fun mods compared to the S4.

At the end of the day, it's your life and your money, get what makes you excited!!
heyyy, thanks for the suggestion and for taking the time to comment -- definitely appreciated. i actually haven't driven the golf r but i have driven the rs3 and that's a fun car to drive but not nearly as luxurious of a ride as i'd like.

there is another member on here who loves the golf family of vehicles, particularly the gti, mr. @arentz07 is mr. vw and he approves of my s4 (potential) decision) haha.
Old 02-17-21, 12:07 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
heyyy, thanks for the suggestion and for taking the time to comment -- definitely appreciated. i actually haven't driven the golf r but i have driven the rs3 and that's a fun car to drive but not nearly as luxurious of a ride as i'd like.

there is another member on here who loves the golf family of vehicles, particularly the gti, mr. @arentz07 is mr. vw and he approves of my s4 (potential) decision) haha.
Yeah the S4 is in another league. I have been in an RS3 and it is a hoot, especially that launch control! I think you'd get a more premium experience in the S4 though. It depends on how much you like that 5-cylinder sound, I suppose.

I haven't been in a Golf R yet, weirdly, but I will say, the Golf as a whole is actually pretty great inside for the price. Keywords here are "for the price", of course, but I still think my GTI's interior was definitely better than most other "mainstream" non-luxury small cars.
Old 02-17-21, 12:39 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

You're very welcome! An S4 won't disappoint if it's your style. Those cars with dual pullies and a tune are a hoot (especially at sea level). Best of luck on your search!
Old 02-17-21, 12:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

yeah, i have the money - i'm in no financial distress. life is short -- live it up. my retirement savings are in check, our house is paid in full and is located in a very desirable area of southern california's wine country, both of our careers are stable (we didn't go through years of graduate school for nothing). i don't mean to come across as elitist, but since an old quote from a post within the m35i thread was referenced, i needed to make clear that we are financially very stable and we have money to play with.
Buying any car is a poor financial decision.
Unless you plan to keep it for over 5yrs - I highly recommend leasing.

Luxury cars are the worst as they depreciate faster and at a higher %.

Old 02-17-21, 01:54 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

thanks, guys.

i'm negotiating with audi south coast over the trade value of the bmw. if not, then i think i *might* pass. life is short, though, and i'm young and i do really want to drive a sedan again. the little x2 is little, but the seating position is still much higher than i'd like. that said, if the sales manager doesn't offer more for the bmw, then i'll pass. my local audi dealership, audi temecula is offering significantly more but they don't have an s4 that's specced the way i'd like.

update: they matched audi temecula's offer, so i'm going to audi south coast tomorrow to test drive the car.

this is a suspense novel.

Last edited by davyjordi; 02-17-21 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-17-21, 02:04 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Buying any car is a poor financial decision.
Unless you plan to keep it for over 5yrs - I highly recommend leasing.

Luxury cars are the worst as they depreciate faster and at a higher %.
buying anything is a bad financial decision, really, save for real estate and some rare or precious goods, which most things are not. i collect watches, for instance, and they can get pretty damn pricey and i know full well that they are, for the most part, depreciating assets or at least stable assets, but the watches i own are not appreciating assets. the same is true for most things purchased in life.

but i agree that luxury cars depreciate quickly and i really have to decide whether i want to be stuck with the bmw for the next x amount of years or the audi for the next x amount of years. hopefully the test drive will clarify that.
Old 02-17-21, 02:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

buying anything is a bad financial decision, really, save for real estate and some rare or precious goods, which most things are not. i collect watches, for instance, and they can get pretty damn pricey and i know full well that they are, for the most part, depreciating assets or at least stable assets, but the watches i own are not appreciating assets. the same is true for most things purchased in life.

but i agree that luxury cars depreciate quickly and i really have to decide whether i want to be stuck with the bmw for the next x amount of years or the audi for the next x amount of years. hopefully the test drive will clarify that.
It seems like the last car you got didn't fully meet your needs so hopefully this car will be better. The trick is to find a car that you know will last you quite a bit so you can extract maximum value and be satisfied with it. When you find that perfect car for you, it can bring you a lot of happiness as an auto enthusiast so good luck. I had my G35 for 11 years because i really loved driving it. I modded it to my own personal tastes and I didn't really seek to drive anything else...until it started breaking due to mileage is when I got my IS350. I really liked the IS350 but grew bored as its competition I felt was much better. I didn't really love the car so I switched. I love my current ride way more as it provides a better driving experience for me so I plan to keep this one longer.

If you have any doubts after your test drive, I say hold off and test drive everything like the M340, Model 3 Performance, and C-class AMG. But if you fall in love after your test drive, there you have it...hopefully your car for the next 5 years
Old 02-17-21, 02:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
That’s why leasing works so well as you negotiate upfront the cost of owning the car during that 3yr period. You don’t have to worry about economic factors or an accident for example further impacting the value of the car.

Watches are much cheaper than cars - as there is no insurance, registration, maintenance costs involved. If you buy the right watch, they should hold fairly well.
Old 02-17-21, 02:41 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

well, my father has a patek philippe that's more expensive than some people's homes, but yes, my watches aren't as expensive as the cars i buy haha. there are watches that are hundreds of millions of dollars, though, which is nuts.

and yes, i am really, REALLY going to dissect this car tomorrow and if i don't like it, i'm turning away. i had an is300fsport for like five or six years modded, tuned and gorgeous that i had kept because i really liked it and then lost it to a flash flood and it's been a rollercoaster trying to find a car that adequately fills its shoes. i mean, there was a lot of effort put into that car and i really genuinely liked it. i wish that more dealerships would allow for overnight 'test drives' and just give a mileage allowance of x miles because that would have mitigated the unfortunate purchase of the m35i for sure. that said, i know the m35i is out of reach for so many people and i'm not taking it for granted, but what i am taking advantage of is my position in life currently and how i can use it to benefit me to just have fun. i can't say that the m35i hasn't been fun, it just hasn't been fun enough.
Old 02-17-21, 02:52 PM
aabassi
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hi all,

so, we are in need of a second car that must be a sports luxury sedan that should be relatively fun and reliable under the warranty period (an extended warranty may be purchased as we are financing a portion of the vehicle as we'd like to keep it for awhile).

the choices thus far are:
the 2021 audi s4
the 2021 volvo s60 recharge t8 inscription or polestar engineered
and the 2021 mb cla amg 35

i realize that all of these are fwd-based, but have differing levels of awd capabilities. i am leaning toward the audi just because i feel as though it's better built than the volvo and is more capable with it's i6 vs the i4 in the mb. the volvo is interesting for sure, although i know depreciation hits volvos hard and i'm not sure about the turbo/supercharged/electrified powertrain over the course of around 5-6 years. i feel like it's about to be redesigned if not dropped altogether soon whereas the s4 was just refreshed in 2020 and the cla amg 35 was an all-new model for 2021. honestly, i don't think the cla deserves to be considered but my mate does, so there ya have it.

we aren't considering any other mb model because mb tends to bloat their newest offerings as does bmw with the 3 series (the 3 series is also weirdly slab-sided). we also want to stay in the compact executive/luxury class of vehicles.

the max price for the vehicle is 60k or thereabout. am i missing anything? the lexus is350 is out of the picture as i don't like the new styling the brand is taking, with that vehicle at least. the vehicle must also be from a luxury marque.
Have you considered the C43? From the three you highlighted, I would take the S4, but from a fun perspective I think the C43 would be your best bet. I drive a 2013 S5. Love it! Sucks the dropped the supercharged v6 for the current turbo v6 but hey.
Old 02-17-21, 03:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

well, my father has a patek philippe that's more expensive than some people's homes, but yes, my watches aren't as expensive as the cars i buy haha. there are watches that are hundreds of millions of dollars, though, which is nuts.

and yes, i am really, REALLY going to dissect this car tomorrow and if i don't like it, i'm turning away. i had an is300fsport for like five or six years modded, tuned and gorgeous that i had kept because i really liked it and then lost it to a flash flood and it's been a rollercoaster trying to find a car that adequately fills its shoes. i mean, there was a lot of effort put into that car and i really genuinely liked it. i wish that more dealerships would allow for overnight 'test drives' and just give a mileage allowance of x miles because that would have mitigated the unfortunate purchase of the m35i for sure. that said, i know the m35i is out of reach for so many people and i'm not taking it for granted, but what i am taking advantage of is my position in life currently and how i can use it to benefit me to just have fun. i can't say that the m35i hasn't been fun, it just hasn't been fun enough.
How many miles do you have on the X2? You might want to check Carvana and Vroom to see what they would give you for it. It's all online and their offers comes back right away. Out of curiosity I checked our X3 a month or so ago and at that time offers were pretty good. Vroom was a little better. They do change with current market conditions.
Old 02-17-21, 04:22 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
How many miles do you have on the X2? You might want to check Carvana and Vroom to see what they would give you for it. It's all online and their offers comes back right away. Out of curiosity I checked our X3 a month or so ago and at that time offers were pretty good. Vroom was a little better. They do change with current market conditions.
i only have like 3400 miles on the x2. temecula was able to source an s4 prestige in daytona grey metallic over red magma which they said will be there tomorrow and are discounting the car pretty heavily. the car isn't currently at the dealership but they said they already purchased it from another and are having it transported. they also not only matched the offer for the x2 by audi south coast but went above and beyond by offering 1.5k over puts gives me equity in the vehicle. i didn't check vroom, but i checked carvana and carmax. carmax was the highest and that was matched by audi south coast, but temecula just offered more.

their deal almost sounds too good to be true but they're local, so i can stop by at any point tomorrow and see what's what and then be on my way to audi south coast if it's some bait and switch. i have it all documented, though, via email, so i'd definitely bring it to the attention of the GM if they were to step away from the proposed sales contract. i'm kinda dreading tomorrow at this point because it's no longer fun and today's stress gave me a stomachache and a headache. it's become tedious as there is so much negotiation and communication via email between various dealerships and salespeople and finance people within each individual dealership who are all trying to play the usual sales tricks.
Old 02-17-21, 06:56 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

How much are you losing on the X2 and whats the discount on the S4?

Try to get 0% financing.

Quick Reply: Second Car - Help Needed!