Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to suspend output from nine factories in Japan due to earthquake

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 07:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Toyota to suspend output from nine factories in Japan due to earthquake

Earthquake was a magnitude 7.1 aftershock to the Fukushima quake of 10 years ago

A landslide caused by a strong earthquake covers a racetrack in Nihonmatsu city, Fukushima prefecture, northeastern Japan, on Sunday.

TOKYO — Toyota Motor Corp said on Tuesday it will temporarily suspend vehicle production on 14 lines at nine group factories in Japan due to an earthquake that hit Japan's northeast last week.

Domestic factories in five prefectures, including Aichi, Iwate and Fukuoka, will halt productions between Wednesday and Saturday, some for as long as four days. The factories produce models varying from Lexus cars to Harrier SUVs.

While the earthquake had no significant impact on Toyota's factories, it affected some of the automaker's suppliers, causing a delay in parts supply, a spokesman said.

The company did not disclose the number of affected vehicles.

A strong magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit off the coast of Fukushima Prefecture on Saturday, injuring dozens of people and triggering widespread power outages. But there was no threat of a tsunami.

The Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, which had meltdowns following a massive quake and tsunami 10 years ago, was checking to see whether there were any problems following Saturday's quake. This quake, scientists said, was an aftershock to the massive 9.0 quake of 2011 in which three reactors melted down, releasing radiation into the air and rendering a zone around the plant uninhabitable.

More than 20,000 people died in the 2011 quake, tsunami and aftermath, and 100,000 people were evacutated from the nuclear disaster zone.

Following Saturday's earthquake, there were no immediate reports of irregularities from other nuclear plants in the area, such as Onagawa or Fukushima Dai-ni, government spokesperson Katsunobu Kato told reporters.

The shaking was felt in Tokyo, to the southwest.

The earthquake also added to the global microchip production crisis. Renesas Electronics, a key supplier of automotive semiconductors, said it will restart production at its advanced chip plant in northeast Japan after a quake on Saturday cut power to the facility and shut it down.

A resumption of full output will, however, take a week, which could delay some shipments at a time when customers, particularly carmakers, are struggling with a global chip shortage.

"We will do what we can to ensure there is no disruption to supplies," a Renesas spokeswoman said.
Source
Old 02-16-21, 07:57 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

An aftershock to a 10 year old earthquake? Didn’t know that could even happen
Old 02-16-21, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
An aftershock to a 10 year old earthquake? Didn’t know that could even happen

Agreed. I'm not a Geologist, but that does seem a little strange to me, considering that Japan sits on one of the most active Tectonic-Plate/Fault-systems in the world, and routinely has major quakes. It is simply part of life there....like in California.
Old 02-16-21, 06:25 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yah that doesn't sound right but I won't argue against their geologists. lol. They should just classify this as a regular earthquake.
Old 02-16-21, 08:31 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

10 years in geological terms is mere seconds in our lives.

earthquakes suck. Been in many big ones all over the world and not a single one of them was pleasant. Not one. I feel for the folks in Japan.
Old 02-16-21, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Terrible news, hope injuries/deaths were minimal.

Terrible for Toyota too, although hopefully production will be able to catch up.
Old 02-16-21, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Terrible news, hope injuries/deaths were minimal.
According to the government, no deaths, 100+ injuries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/13/w...fukushima.html

Terrible for Toyota too, although hopefully production will be able to catch up.
If Toyota recovered from what happened at Fukushima (which was a massive 9.0), I'm sure they will from this 7.1. (or 7.3?)
Old 02-16-21, 10:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The resilience and ingenuity of the Japanese never ceases to amaze me, I'm sure this quake is just a minor hiccup, but I sincerely feel for the injured. And the millions of poor bastards who have to deal with insurance and fixing a new crack in their houses. Hell that quake might have totaled out a few hundred thousand older houses that cracked and aren't up to modern earthquake standards. Kind of blows my mind how after we bombed Japan almost to the stone age during the war, how quickly they rebuilt and became a major economic super-power, their society, its ability to adapt, overcome, reinvent itself is simply incredible. This despite them not having any land or natural resources to speak of.