Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 J.D. Power: Genesis dethroned; Lexus back on top

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 01:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
And people don't care and still buy the Teslas and the Rovers
For sure...the speed and experience of a Tesla is pretty cool. Quality and dependability not much
Old 02-18-21, 02:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
When all the rage is infotainment, I would say its a pretty serious recall...apparently every screen will fail. No camera, no defrost, and no turn signals...That is painful IMO...

Tesla screen recall
Its not painful for Tesla to do the recall is my point. Its a simple fix by adding more flash storage. Its not like the screen is bad...just the storage goes bad so the MCU has issues working properly. It doesn't affect any of the newer MCUs though because Tesla went to a completely new system (MCU2).
Old 02-18-21, 02:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Some people are maniacally obsessed with Tesla. Any topic where they are mentioned it becomes all that is talked about. Even topics that have nothing to do with Tesla become about Tesla.

On this survey the correlation from what they consider issues to dependability is questionable at best IMO. Especially when a "problem" can be something that is not actually a defect but an annoyance or bug.
Old 02-18-21, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its not painful for Tesla to do the recall is my point. Its a simple fix by adding more flash storage. Its not like the screen is bad...just the storage goes bad so the MCU has issues working properly. It doesn't affect any of the newer MCUs though because Tesla went to a completely new system (MCU2).
We are sort of referring the customer here. In reference to JD power and their listing....Tesla dropped 5 spots. A recall on an infotainment screen is not good for the customer as so much of the new generation of consumers make their impressions based on the screens. IMO, I kinda hate them...as I have cars with screens and without screens. As for ease of a fix or cost....kinda a different matter form the point of view of Tesla and ease of repair. Tesla was very reluctant to do it in the first place...so maybe it is painful...
Old 02-18-21, 02:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

We are sort of referring the customer here. In reference to JD power and their listing....Tesla dropped 5 spots. A recall on an infotainment screen is not good for the customer as so much of the new generation of consumers make their impressions based on the screens. IMO, I kinda hate them...as I have cars with screens and without screens. As for ease of a fix or cost....kinda a different matter form the point of view of Tesla and ease of repair. Tesla was very reluctant to do it in the first place...so maybe it is painful...
It doesn't take that long as the people in the forums say its pretty quick. The issue is that service stations are already overtaxed because they simply don't have that many service centers so of course Tesla was reluctant. I'm not surprised they dropped down 5 levels as they have had a ton of issues with their Model Y. Their Model 3 has been doing pretty good in Consumer Reports though as the product is simple and mature.
Old 02-18-21, 02:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 469 Likes on 310 Posts

I just drove past a white Tesla Model 3 last week, and the front chrome door trim was a few millimeters higher, and did not line up with the rear chrome door trim.
I am surprized this was not fixed at the factory, nor after delivery.

If the exterior is poorly built and assembled, just imagine how poorly built and assembled it is underneath?
Old 02-18-21, 05:46 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC300Es
And people don't care and still buy the Teslas and the Rovers
So true
https://jalopnik.com/if-range-rovers...ill-1728727599
In it, I argued that Land Rover doesn’t need to worry about reliability scores, and J.D. Power ratings, and Consumer Reports, because they consistently lose every metric and yet their cars still sell for full sticker – and they usually have a waiting list. Simply put, Range Rover buyers don’t consider things like cost of ownership and long-term durability. They want the nicest car they can get, they own it solely under warranty, and then they get a new one.
This was written a few years ago, so LR/RR is having some issues with their sales, but their buyers are nothing like most mainstream luxury buyers. Rinse and repeat every 3 years.

Tesla sales have it better than their Lexus counterparts these days, since an average Lexus sales guy has to contend with buyers coming from Toyota, trying to squeeze out every available incentive so they can justify buying an RX over a Highlander.

Last edited by TRDRAV4; 02-18-21 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-11-21, 09:01 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus Maintains Its Stellar Reputation For Reliability

Lexus Maintains Its Stellar Reputation For Reliability
By Brett Foote

Lexus continues to dominate dependability rankings among all automakers.

Old 03-11-21, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by article
Interestingly, cars led the way among all automotive segments, scoring a 111 PP100 versus 122 PP100 for SUVs and 130 PP100 for trucks. Trucks and SUVs account for nearly 80 percent of retail sales, however, which obviously makes this a concern for automakers.
The most likely reason that passenger cars lead SUVs and trucks in the reliability/problem-department is that they are less-likely to have AWD, which adds complexity, hardware, more electronics/sensors, and more chances of something malfunctioning. Trucks also carry heavier loads, which puts more stress on the components, although those components are supposed to be engineered for the amount of load they carry.
Old 03-12-21, 08:59 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

mmarshall has said it.
A little adding to an already long list of negative points, is also that the suv/trucks are bigger. You add air resistance, you need more engine work to come to speed. And the higher masses higher off the ground, are moving further away from the contact point, this creates a bigger lever effect, adding even more stress.
Then, it's true that SUV's of today, often have very clever electronic helps, to make them somewhat of normal.
But those systems can fail, or simply wear over time, adding reliability problems.
Old 03-13-21, 11:00 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and those 'issues' aren't always the cars... people with out of date phones, lack of user 'education', bugs in manufacturer apps (not the car itself), etc.
Great point! Perhaps vehicles need to be assessed more like electronics in general--by user-friendliness. Sure, it's subjective, but can still be rated via surveying customers. Consumer Reports has done ratings and rankings on this periodically and they incorporate customer satisfaction into their recommendations. Lexus/Toyota rates low in their infotainment user-friendliness. Tesla was the only brand that rated well. Most brands rated average to poor.

As in the early days of personal computers, there is money to be made by companies who focus on user-friendliness. Apple has made it a chief guiding principal, as has Amazon. Wake up Lexus/Toyota, smell the coffee (and the stench of your infotainment systems).
Old 03-13-21, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Wake up Lexus/Toyota, smell the coffee (and the stench of your infotainment systems).
Stench of what? Other than crappy remote touch...they do the job
Old 03-13-21, 01:04 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

As stated here many times and an obvious observation no vehicle is perfect. It is a compromise on what is most important to every buyer. J D Power ranks Lexus #1 in dependability. Lexus has been #1 nine times and #2 twice in the last eleven years. Amazing consistency. J D Power also ranks Lexus #1 in lowest depreciation, customer satisfaction and brand loyalty (do owners return to buy another). Any other car manufacturer would only dream of winning one of these recognitions let alone all. When I am driving down the road in my 2017 and wish I had Android Auto or a better infotainment system, I stop and think on our sixth Lexus and had not one problem with any which correlates to have not spent one dollar on repairs and I spend about $400 every 30,000 miles in maintenance on each. Can't wait until the next generation of RX. Wife will be first in line for the 2022 newly designed NX plug-in hybrid.

Old 03-13-21, 04:33 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Stench of what? Other than crappy remote touch...they do the job
I don't own a newer Toyota/Lexus, so I'm no expert, but I did get a loaner UX for a day and had trouble learning the infotainment system. Since I only had it one day, I didn't bother to go beyond the basics. I've rented cars with non-user-friendly systems as well, so from the perspective of a new user, I can relate to all those, including Consumer Reports who knocks Lexus/Toyota in this regard.

"They do the job" isn't the ringing endorsement I want to hear when I'm dropping $50-60K on a new vehicle! Too, since a crappy interface can be a distraction, this adds to the risk of accidents. Why can't Lexus/Toyota be the Apple/Amazon of infotainment? Make the product insanely great and focus on customer satisfaction, that's all!
Old 03-13-21, 04:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I don't own a newer Toyota/Lexus, so I'm no expert, but I did get a loaner UX for a day and had trouble learning the infotainment system. Since I only had it one day, I didn't bother to go beyond the basics. I've rented cars with non-user-friendly systems as well, so from the perspective of a new user, I can relate to all those, including Consumer Reports who knocks Lexus/Toyota in this regard.

"They do the job" isn't the ringing endorsement I want to hear when I'm dropping $50-60K on a new vehicle! Too, since a crappy interface can be a distraction, this adds to the risk of accidents. Why can't Lexus/Toyota be the Apple/Amazon of infotainment? Make the product insanely great and focus on customer satisfaction, that's all!
I have a 21 Toyota. $63K. Works fine. Gets the job done. I only need to change the radio and sometimes use factory navigation which I much prefer to Apple. I do think my older Toyota’s with out the screens are better IMO. I think the remote touch is a serious issue...not the software for Lexus

Quick Reply: 2021 J.D. Power: Genesis dethroned; Lexus back on top