Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 J.D. Power: Genesis dethroned; Lexus back on top

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 07:39 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I must have been living in a cave.... Volvo has less issue than Honda?
Old 03-15-21, 10:12 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
...if I was offered the option of a locking differential for my 4R by the dealer in 2024 for my 2021, it would be very unusual.
Your $63K 4R doesn't have a locking diff?

Back to the infotainment system...I know compromises need to be made, and I agree with your assertion that having an infotainment system that works for the life of the vehicle is high on the list of attributes. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Tesla, irregardless of their best-rated infotainment, until they improve their quality ratings. Maybe Toyota should be partnering with Tesla instead of BMW and Subaru. Toyota has already proven they make great engines and can make great sports cars. Where they need help is with infotainment, and where Tesla needs help is in quality control--could be a match made in heaven!
Old 03-15-21, 11:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
n!
Centre lock only.

Back to the infotainment system...I know compromises need to be made, and I agree with your assertion that having an infotainment system that works for the life of the vehicle is high on the list of attributes. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Tesla, irregardless of their best-rated infotainment, until they improve their quality ratings. Maybe Toyota should be partnering with Tesla instead of BMW and Subaru. Toyota has already proven they make great engines and can make great sports cars. Where they need help is with infotainment, and where Tesla needs help is in quality control--could be a match made in heaven!
Maybe it has something to do with profits and cost...(from Toyota's POV) having the greatest running touch screen with the best long term reliability likely costs big money. I also don't see the point in a lot of the touch screen features that are currently being included. Recently, Tesla recalled some older screen for flash failures...that must not be good for Tesla profits...which I understand the margin shrunk in the last earning info...which I understand are also non-existent with out credits that they sell.

That said, my 21 4Runner gets the job done....but when I drive my 04, I am instantly reminded how utterly pointless some of the touchscreen stuff actually is.

IMO, Lexus remote touch is definitely a problem

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-15-21 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-16-21, 12:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I wonder how happy Tesla owners are in this case.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...nment-upgrade/
quite happy i'd say that the manufacturer wants to offer them a chance to catch up with fast changing tech. no different than a phone trade-in program or porsche offering an amazing retro head unit.

Porsche unveils CarPlay-compatible radios for its classic cars - The Verge

Maybe Toyota should be partnering with Tesla instead of BMW and Subaru. ... Where they need help is with infotainment, and where Tesla needs help is in quality control--could be a match made in heaven!
tesla's infotainment may get a 'good' rating from CR (a rating that to me is irrelevant) but some users would like sirius still, or apple car play or android auto and not fart cushion sounds or video games.

as for toyota they did have a (5%?) stake in tesla, but sold it! it would no doubt now be worth many times what they sold it for.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet super happy as they got a choice to upgrade. Once you buy a Lexus, you are stuck with the system you have unless you go aftermarket.
exactly.

Telsa then cut the price. Not sure if you get a previous refund
you really are just picking fights and taking cheap shots for no good reason. remember when lexus dropped the entry price on the GX and LX at various times significantly, with different trim levels and eliminating third rows?
or what about if a manufacturer 'suddenly' offers a big discount or rebate (like the $3K end of year direct from lexus i got off my LC), should they also give $3K back to people who bought right before that?
you know enough about business to know your cheap shots are nonsense.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not sure. Buyer beware. Same as buying a car with a certain option and the next year the option becomes free. I can't understand why having an upgrade option is a bad thing.
exactly.

I didn’t really say it was bad. But it is unusual.
ok, maybe unusual, and if you didn't "really" say it's bad, what are you saying? lexus also offers a reprogram of (i think) '18-'19 LCs to add apple carplay for a fee i believe.

Adding money to a depreciating asset is not something most people would do.
that is certainly true. i wouldn't say it's because it's depreciating that they don't do it, i'd say it's because they can't be bothered, or don't want to spend the money, or don't know about the option. so in that sense, it is unusual.

on the camry i recently owned, i replaced the stock mirror with one that had homelink and compass. cost about $140. the wiring was already in the headliner to connect it even! i felt it was a great deal. and yes, i didn't make it back when i sold the car, oh well, i still enjoyed having homelink while i had it.

tesla owners are obviously 'forward' leaning buyers, and if tesla's offering them a chance to significantly upgrade hardware, i think that's an excellent thing,.

if I was offered the option of a locking differential for my 4R by the dealer in 2024 for my 2021, it would be very unusual.
i agree it would be unusual, in fact, i'd be shocked, SHOCKED if that happens.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think many people bought it. The Model S buyers are typically the type to just switch to a newer car. Tesla tries new business models and tries different things than other car companies. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Model 3 owners can switch to a better hardware to enable FSD if they have the older version so it makes sense for some options as FSD has a huge margin.

Other manufacturers have done it. Mazda could retro fit Apple CarPlay for $500 if you had the older infotainment.
exactly.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's one you might like, if it can be blown down to signature-size...........
thanks for the gesture, but no, i'm not going to add a pic of some lady reading notes into a microphone in my sig.

Centre lock only.
my santa fe has this too. doubt i'll ever use it.

Maybe it has something to do with profits and cost...(from Toyota's POV) having the greatest running touch screen with the best long term reliability likely costs big money. I also don't see the point in a lot of the touch screen features that are currently being included. Recently, Tesla recalled some older screen for flash failures...that must not be good for Tesla profits...which I understand the margin shrunk in the last earning info...which I understand are also non-existent with out credits that they sell.
there you go again, bashing tesla's financials. give it a rest.

comparing toyota and tesla is like comparing venus and mars - kind of pointless.

That said, my 21 4Runner gets the job done....but when I drive my 04, I am instantly reminded how utterly pointless some of the touchscreen stuff actually is.
different parts of infotainment will be appreciated by different audiences. you are not very interested in technology, so hardly any of any of it is appealing to you. obviously something less and less true of the general public as time goes on.

IMO, Lexus remote touch is definitely a problem
lexus obviously realizes this and is slowly phasing it out.

in the LC it's not that bad (with the trackpad instead of the horrendous "mouse/joystick" thing), and i use android auto in both it and the santa fe.

back to the rankings, not sure what years are being counted but lexus has put the touchscreen in the RX (its biggest seller i think) and the LS too, so that must help.

Old 03-16-21, 12:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for the gesture, but no, i'm not going to add a pic of some lady reading notes into a microphone in my sig.
Your call, of course, but I wasn't really trying to emphasize the lady and the mike....the idea was more a new Santa-Fe and the gift-wrap.