Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EV battery sizes, ranges, and Tesla exaggerations

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 10:32 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is a revealing interview, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" seems to apply. If you don't have time to watch the take-away is Edmunds is at best incompetent and fails to understand even the basics of testing. For example, "We don't think there is a correlation between efficiency and range" uh what? I started to feel embarrassed for that rep, scary he is the editor in chief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb1toreNTrU
I didn't have time to finish the video but at the 5:23 mark it was interesting that they tested a Tesla in conditions 20 degrees colder than the Taycan, and in another chart later in the interview it showed Edmund's testing had the Teslas in conditions colder than every other EV they tested. At least test everything consistently. I know you can't control the weather but 20 degrees is a pretty big swing. Pick another day to test or retest it again later to show the temperature impact. A Model 3 missing its EPA rating by 2.3% while at a 20 F degree disadvantage is not bad at all and certainly would have exceeded EPA rating in warmer conditions.
Old 05-07-21, 10:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,450 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is a revealing interview, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" seems to apply. If you don't have time to watch the take-away is Edmunds is at best incompetent and fails to understand even the basics of testing. For example, "We don't think there is a correlation between efficiency and range" uh what? I started to feel embarrassed for that rep, scary he is the editor in chief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb1toreNTrU
sorry you were embarrassed and it doesn't fit your narrative. edmunds is a pretty highly respected outfit. ideally they'd do all testing in the same conditions but that's simply not possible. i think the editor got a bit mixed up expressing himself, but that doesn't make edmunds testing or videos worthless.
Old 05-07-21, 10:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

but this does bring up the whole issue of terrible range drops with temp drops making ev's a bad choice for long drives in cold climates.
Old 05-07-21, 10:58 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but this does bring up the whole issue of terrible range drops with temp drops making ev's a bad choice for long drives in cold climates.
Let's see what advancements come with the new generation of tech. Heat pump probably saved 10-20% range recently and the new 4680 cell has much better heating/cooling vs current products. Right now, assuming 20-30% loss in cold weather is the right way to estimate range.
Old 05-07-21, 03:04 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Fair enough. I say the Taycan is irrelevant because rich people who buy Taycans can easily charge cars where apartment dwellers cannot as easily.
Keep in mind, the Taycan is also sold as a track-capable performance vehicle, and so the energy (battery) capacity correlates not just with range, but also peak power and especially weight. You need enough battery to remain consistently fast, just as you need enough to cover a given distance.

On something like an EQS, I'd say it's a tossup on how much range matters, only because in theory, you want "just enough" battery to cover the majority of your needs. Too little is impractical, while too much means you're carrying expensive weight. The better your charging network, the more freedom you have with the cars design, IMO (no different than gas cars, really).
Old 05-07-21, 03:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lets Drive

On something like an EQS, I'd say it's a tossup on how much range matters, only because in theory, you want "just enough" battery to cover the majority of your needs. Too little is impractical, while too much means you're carrying expensive weight. The better your charging network, the more freedom you have with the cars design, IMO (no different than gas cars, really).
I still say the range anxiety argument is a little irrelevant at the price point of an EQS. The Average American drives 13,000 miles a year, That is 36 miles a day....people who have $100k cars very easily can rent a nice a gas powered vehicle for the rare long trip where they don’t want to be charging jumping from charger to charger. . Of course. 300 miles of range or more is ideal, but the range issue for a EQS buyer is drastically different than someone who has no charging capability.
Old 05-07-21, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I still say the range anxiety argument is a little irrelevant at the price point of an EQS. The Average American drives 13,000 miles a year, That is 36 miles a day....people who have $100k cars very easily can rent a nice a gas powered vehicle for the rare long trip where they don’t want to be charging jumping from charger to charger. . Of course. 300 miles of range or more is ideal, but the range issue for a EQS buyer is drastically different than someone who has no charging capability.
you live in toronto. tons of people in toronto drive out of town to a lake place or the country, or even niagara falls for example. that's way more than 36 miles. people do not want to have to charge during a trip like that, and may not even be able to.
i have no doubt range is a BIG concern for a potential EQS owner. now a taycan? maybe not as much since that's a rocket sports car.