Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EV battery sizes, ranges, and Tesla exaggerations

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 06:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

FatherTo1 great info, thanks!
Old 02-22-21, 09:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I haven’t driven other EVs but I don’t find Tesla’s range estimates exaggerated at all. Even MotorTrend confirmed the 370-mile Model S completed the 359-mile distance from Fremont to LA, with 11% (41 miles) range remaining. They exceeded range estimates during the trip with two people in the car, AC on, and 65-70 MPH.

I also routinely exceed the EPA ratings on our Model S. With my 72.5 kWh usable capacity, I need to average 254 Wh/m to get rated range but I actually use 230 Wh/m at freeway speed and beat EPA range. Below is a snapshot just over a week ago where I travelled almost 90 miles and averaged better than EPA ratings, even at 65 MPH.

All that said, I don’t intend to drive down to zero but I have gone down as far as 4% and traveled 245 miles. This equates to 90% efficiency for my 285-mile rated range. That is plenty reasonable in the real world for me, driving like I normally would the LS 460, and with climate control on — only difference, like another poster above, is I’m saving $3K a year in gas compared to the LS (well, in a non-pandemic year)...still 90% fuel cost savings regardless.

In cold weather, all EVs will experience significant range loss. @bitkahuna , if you’re seeing or reading a disproportionate amount of Teslas missing range targets, I suspect the majority of them are also riding on larger wheels, which do incur a 10-12% hit to range. Our Model S came with 21s and my range immediately improved by 12.5% when I downsized to 19” wheels. The Mach-e seems to use smaller wheel and tire combos and I’m sure that’s helping it hit range estimates, along with the larger reserve capacity.

Admittedly, I haven’t kept up with the Mach-e and other EV entries as I still don’t see a truly compelling competitor to Tesla yet, in terms of style, performance, battery tech, and charging infrastructure. A lot of automakers are still playing catch up but competition is fierce and everyone is learning fast. It is great that other EV models are designed to consistently achieve their rated range, that only bodes well to lure in new buyers and increase adoption. From my experience, Tesla’s range estimates have been pretty accurate (except in really cold temps).
My personal experience with my 2016 S75D is almost identical.
Old 02-22-21, 09:50 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've got better things to do on a trip than spending hours and hours charging a car vs 5 mins to fill with gas.

love ev's but they're just too much of a pain for long trips.
Let's use an example - say you have to travel 500 miles (800 km). How far can you go without stopping for a food/bio break? Can you push 250 miles without stopping? Unless you're deliberately trying to dehydrate yourself prior to your trip, I don't see how you can go for 4 hours without stopping for at least 10 mins (bio/coffee break). Now because you have an EV, you need to charge more and decide to take the opportunity to grab a bite. Charge for 30 mins and move on.

That's one stop of 30-45 mins that you would have had to stop anyway. How are you "wasting hours and hours"?

I've be the first to agree that spending 5 mins filling up your gas tank is much more convenient, however I personally feel you're blowing this way out of proportion. This type of reaction is very common with anyone who does not own an EV and totally understandable.
Old 02-22-21, 12:46 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Let's use an example - say you have to travel 500 miles (800 km). How far can you go without stopping for a food/bio break? Can you push 250 miles without stopping? Unless you're deliberately trying to dehydrate yourself prior to your trip, I don't see how you can go for 4 hours without stopping for at least 10 mins (bio/coffee break). Now because you have an EV, you need to charge more and decide to take the opportunity to grab a bite. Charge for 30 mins and move on.

That's one stop of 30-45 mins that you would have had to stop anyway. How are you "wasting hours and hours"?

I've be the first to agree that spending 5 mins filling up your gas tank is much more convenient, however I personally feel you're blowing this way out of proportion. This type of reaction is very common with anyone who does not own an EV and totally understandable.
I can go pretty long without a stop. My wife says I'm a camel because I've never used an airplane bathroom and can seemingly go the entire day (10-12 hours) between potty breaks when traveling. I love to drive and can last as far as the gas tank will take me. To save time, I eat and drink (sparingly) in the car. It never bothered me in the past to do it this way and I made good time without speeding. However, with wife and a child, it's pretty much mandated to stop every 1.5-2.5 hours anyways and that coincides well with Supercharger stops.

As much as I love our Tesla, and can't imagine going back to an ICE vehicle, we borrowed my Mom's RX 350 on a trip to Yellowstone -- mainly because the RX was able to hold a little more than the Model S and still retain a spare tire. I sooo wanted to take the Model S instead but we've had bad luck with flat tires on trips before and didn't want to take the risk. I plan to get some run-flats for the S next time I need new tires. Anyways, with the RX, bathroom breaks at rest areas surprisingly took 20-25 minutes each time, and a particular gas stop took 17 minutes due to a variety of issues with the pump and payment kiosk. In the past, some Costco gas stops took 25 minutes because of lines. Of course, there are quicker options if I went to a different gas station. Although gas fuel-ups are much quicker, the overall time penalty to Supercharge hasn't been that bad because the rest of the family is slow and that extends any "quick" gas stops. So it's my family that is the limiting factor on trip time and not so much EV charging.

Definitely, driving by myself in an ICE vehicle is more efficient. In the past I always focused on making "good time" when driving an ICE car, but my perspective has simply changed when driving an EV and I honestly don't mind the Supercharger stops. I don't know why that is. If I had to stop for gas and it took longer than 10 minutes then I would get irritated, but it doesn't phase me to stop and charge for 45 minutes. I don't know why I'm less in a rush after going EV. Gas stops feel like a chore whereas Supercharging stops are a different experience. I use the charging stops to catch up on messages, email, and browse on my phone. I am just more relaxed on trips driving our Tesla. The charging stops really only come into play on longer trips anyways. On a daily basis, my battery is always "full" (80-90% in the morning).
Old 03-09-21, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Charge for 30 mins and move on.
how much range did you add to your model s in 30 mins charging?

obviously i don't have an EV, but obviously you only drive yours locally or occasional planed trips. imagine living in colorado up and down mountains in freezing weather with few superchargers anywhere? that would have to make it more challenging.

and FatherTo1, no wonder you don't mind waiting at superchargers, you're in northern california.

again, it all depends on use cases and environment.

but happy it's working out great for both of you!

and you know it hameed, i WILL have an EV
Old 03-09-21, 09:08 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

My SoC when I start charging on a trip is usually around 20% and I charge to 90%. So I charge 70%, which usually takes about 30 to 40 mins at 120 Kw rate. In my specific case 70% is 170 miles. Sometimes I will charge less than 90% - as the charging rate tapers off as the SoC of the battery is high. So I will only charge for as much as I need to get to the next Supercharger (with a buffer of 15-20%).

obviously i don't have an EV, but obviously you only drive yours locally or occasional planed trips. imagine living in colorado up and down mountains in freezing weather with few superchargers anywhere? that would have to make it more challenging.
Yes of course that will be more challenging and you learn to adapt to the use case, or don't buy an EV.

I honestly can't wait to read your posts in 3 years about how you love the EV and also about how you regret not buying an EV ages ago lol That has been my only regret incidentally. I wish I got one sooner than I did.
Old 03-09-21, 09:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

My SoC when I start charging on a trip is usually around 20% and I charge to 90%. So I charge 70%, which usually takes about 30 to 40 mins at 120 Kw rate. In my specific case 70% is 170 miles. Sometimes I will charge less than 90% - as the charging rate tapers off as the SoC of the battery is high. So I will only charge for as much as I need to get to the next Supercharger (with a buffer of 15-20%).

Yes of course that will be more challenging and you learn to adapt to the use case, or don't buy an EV.

I honestly can't wait to read your posts in 3 years about how you love the EV and also about how you regret not buying an EV ages ago lol That has been my only regret incidentally. I wish I got one sooner than I did.
The Model 3 and the new Model S charge noticeably faster too. If I travel, I charge to 70% typically because it takes about 15 min. Its better to charge more but shorter times as you take advantage of the charging curve. Soon as it tapers the charge (around 70%) its better to leave if you have multiple charging sessions. Half the time though, I am eating or getting coffee and I exceed the 70% pretty easily (15 min isn't a long time). Inconvenience of EV charging is greatly exaggerated.
Old 03-09-21, 10:00 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

and FatherTo1, no wonder you don't mind waiting at superchargers, you're in northern california.

again, it all depends on use cases and environment.

but happy it's working out great for both of you!

Greetings, @bitkahuna . You are certainly correct, living in NorCal I am probably close to the "best case scenario" for EV use. Our winter so far is between 48-62 degrees. The really cold nights were still only 41-42.

I haven't Supercharged in a long while but decided to test it the past weekend. I got about 61% (~175 miles) in 30 minutes. Admittedly, I'm on a 75 kWh battery (350V) and it charges slower than the 100 kWh batteries (400V). However, the Model 3/Y charge much faster, as evidenced by MotorTrend's own testing with newer V3 Superchargers (gaining 233 miles in 28 minutes):

Old 03-09-21, 01:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i confess to not really understanding all that on a quick read. my question was when you took the bio break, how much charge did you get in the 30 minutes there?

all these 'fast' rates mentioned here i presume are about superchargers, not home charging.

nice, well i don't regret much in life, i will take it as it comes. and i'm greatly enjoying my planet destroying, fuel slurping, noisy LC500. i don't regret that i didn't get that sooner either.
Old 03-09-21, 01:10 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

i confess to not really understanding all that on a quick read. my question was when you took the bio break, how much charge did you get in the 30 minutes there?

all these 'fast' rates mentioned here i presume are about superchargers, not home charging.

nice, well i don't regret much in life, i will take it as it comes. and i'm greatly enjoying my planet destroying, fuel slurping, noisy LC500. i don't regret that i didn't get that sooner either.
Ah yes, home charging on a regular 110/120V outlet is 3-4 miles per hour (I did this for the first two weeks of ownership). We then installed a 240V NEMA 14-50 plug (similar to the outlet for a dryer) and charge at about 27 miles per hour (10% per hour). Some others install even faster wall chargers but nothing is as fast as a Supercharger (for Teslas). My work also installed 240V Level 2 chargers last year and allows employees free use but of course the pandemic meant no one is using those work chargers now.

So 30 minutes charging at home, on 240V, will only give me 5% or 13-14 miles. But no one charges for 30 minutes at home and unplugs, whether you drive a Tesla, Leaf, or Chevy Bolt. Home charging overnight is more typical, when electricity rates are cheapest, and will ensure you always wake up with a “full tank” or close to it. This is more than sufficient for daily, non-road trip use. The most I’ve driven in a day for errands and local travel was about 180 miles. Typically it is more like 25-30 miles a day and requires an hour of recharge while I sleep.

I don’t really see how folks do road trips using 240V 7kW J1772 public chargers. That would be insanely slow for a daytime road trip. That is where Tesla’s Supercharger network really shines on road trips as it charges at least 15x faster than other public chargers.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-09-21 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-09-21, 01:27 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

all these 'fast' rates mentioned here i presume are about superchargers, not home charging..
170 miles. And yes, you asked about how long it took on the trip - that was on a Supercharger naturally.

Newer Tesla's charge faster than the above.
Old 03-09-21, 01:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 488 Likes on 323 Posts

thoughts on bragging (unrealistic?) claims by tesla vs cautious (realistic/pessimistic) claims by others?

it's just something that's bothered me for a while.
When Porsche released the Taycan, they said something along the lines that because their batteries are punished by their drivers, they quoted very conservative EV range to help enhance battery longevity.
Old 03-09-21, 02:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
... So 30 minutes charging at home, on 240V, will only give me 5% or 13-14 miles. But no one charges for 30 minutes at home and unplugs, whether you drive a Tesla, Leaf, or Chevy Bolt. Home charging overnight is more typical, when electricity rates are cheapest, and will ensure you always wake up with a “full tank” or close to it. This is more than sufficient for daily, non-road trip use. The most I’ve driven in a day for errands and local travel was about 180 miles. Typically it is more like 25-30 miles a day and requires an hour of recharge while I sleep.

I don’t really see how folks do road trips using 240V 7kW J1772 public chargers. That would be insanely slow for a daytime road trip. That is where Tesla’s Supercharger network really shines on road trips as it charges at least 15x faster than other public chargers.
and yes, my question to hameed was about the 30 minute charge on a trip, not at home.

170 miles. And yes, you asked about how long it took on the trip - that was on a Supercharger naturally.
Newer Tesla's charge faster than the above.

that's some serious power delivery by a supercharger. i'm impressed tesla could get access to that much power. that's somewhat like a mini industrial plant at each supercharger location.
Old 03-09-21, 03:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

and yes, my question to hameed was about the 30 minute charge on a trip, not at home.

that's some serious power delivery by a supercharger. i'm impressed tesla could get access to that much power. that's somewhat like a mini industrial plant at each supercharger location.
Yea, the V3 Superchargers deliver up to 250 kW or 1,000 miles per hour rate. I think Tesla gets access to it because they do pay for the power and pass the cost on to owners. Although our Supercharging is free lifetime, all new Teslas now have to pay-as-you-go and Supercharger rates are between 26-39 cents per kW. Still cheaper than the LS 460.
Old 03-18-21, 09:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Car Wow just did a range test on a Tesla and Polestar. Model 3 Performance got 286 miles of range (EPA at 315). The Polestar got 197 miles (EPA at 233 miles).

Quick Reply: EV battery sizes, ranges, and Tesla exaggerations