Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EV battery sizes, ranges, and Tesla exaggerations

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 02:01 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

That is definitely a shortcoming of EVs, cold-climate range and charging. The 18 kW charging rate occurs as they’re nearing a full battery at *******, MI.

Taking another look at the video, the Tesla navigation and battery management system clearly indicated they needed more charge to make it to the Bay City Supercharger, indicating arrival at -3% at their current state of charge. The owners elected to leave “within a few minutes” knowing ahead of time the projected charge deficiency and risk of arriving at 0% or worse.

Yes, you need to be prepared for additional charging time and additional range loss during cold weather, but these people had information available to avoid their predicament and chose not to use it. If anything, the video points out how accurate the built-in nav and BMS is.

Old 03-20-21, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,450 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I filled up my minivan this week too. It was $80. I haven't been to the gas station in 15 months.
haha, first you're in taxifornia. i've never paid $80 for a tank of gas in my life.
second, the time it took that couple to supercharge i could EARN $80 or more so for me, saving time at gas stations is WORTH it.

as we've discussed many times though, if you have the ideal setup, like you do, solar power, not taking long trips, excellent weather, it's a super no brainer.

i'll get there.
Old 03-20-21, 07:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha, first you're in taxifornia. i've never paid $80 for a tank of gas in my life.
second, the time it took that couple to supercharge i could EARN $80 or more so for me, saving time at gas stations is WORTH it.

as we've discussed many times though, if you have the ideal setup, like you do, solar power, not taking long trips, excellent weather, it's a super no brainer.

i'll get there.
That was on regular gas too. It's like 4.75 per gallon where I live for premium now.

Honestly, a V3 supercharger is pretty common here in California so a 15 min charge doesn't bother me. Hopefully, when you are ready to get one, they will have even faster chargers and more numerous. Until then, you can ride around in your old school V8
Old 03-20-21, 08:06 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
That was on regular gas too. It's like 4.75 per gallon where I live for premium now.

Honestly, a V3 supercharger is pretty common here in California so a 15 min charge doesn't bother me. Hopefully, when you are ready to get one, they will have even faster chargers and more numerous. Until then, you can ride around in your old school V8
I am shocked how low gas prices are outside of California. Years ago when we were first bumping up against $4/gallon, I remember $100 didn't fill up my Tundra Double Cab. I haven't visited a gas station in a while and didn't realize gas is even more expensive now...4.75/gallon!?!? Geez!! It is a good thing the wife only drives 3k-4k miles a year in her ES 330. High gas prices only help the hybrid/EV decision. My "fueling" cost is 90% lower than the LS 460 but wouldn't be as much savings outside of California.
Old 03-20-21, 08:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I am shocked how low gas prices are outside of California. Years ago when we were first bumping up against $4/gallon, I remember $100 didn't fill up my Tundra Double Cab. I haven't visited a gas station in a while and didn't realize gas is even more expensive now...4.75/gallon!?!? Geez!! It is a good thing the wife only drives 3k-4k miles a year in her ES 330. High gas prices only help the hybrid/EV decision. My "fueling" cost is 90% lower than the LS 460 but wouldn't be as much savings outside of California.
what is your electricity cost per kWH? and do you have solar?
Old 03-21-21, 05:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

i'll get there.
You drive long distance (over 300 miles ) for work? Anything under that and you're charging at home at night and not sitting at a supercharger for 30 mins. I'm referring to your point about making $80 .

There are so many calculations online (I'll find one later and link it) that prove you spend more time at a gas station compared to the time you spend at a supercharger over the course of a year assuming a mix of some travel and not travelling ( when it doesn't waste any of your time charging at home).

In my review of a 2021 Model X - I showed that at around freezing temps (far from excellent weather) with lots of stops and a mix of highway (going at 75 mph) and secondary roads I easily got over 325 miles - the SUV had an indicated range at 100 SoC of 375 miles.

I'm planning a very long cross country (Canada) trip next year. Going from Ontario all across to the West Coast - Vancouver Island. Taking the Trans Canada highway - it's about 4500 km. And my cars range is 240 miles (393 km). I can't wait!!!

When I had my 4Runner and GS400 my gas expense was over $400/month. Now for the same mileage (as I do a lot of driving for photography etc) it costs me about $40/month. It's 10 cents per kw at off peak hours.

Last edited by Hameed; 03-21-21 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-21-21, 06:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
When I had my 4Runner and GS400 my gas expense was over $400/month. Now for the same mileage (as I do a lot of driving for photography etc) it costs me about $40/month. It's 10 cents per kw at off peak hours.
quick calc, $4 gallon, 100+ gallons, 20mpg, that's 2000+ miles (3200+km) per month - you drove them that much?
Old 03-21-21, 06:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You drive long distance (over 300 miles ) for work? Anything under that and you're charging at home at night and not sitting at a supercharger for 30 mins. I'm referring to your point about making $80 .
no of course not but my point was i don't want to spend lots of time charging on a road trip! Charging at night is definitely fine.

I'm planning a very long cross country (Canada) trip next year. Going from Ontario all across to the West Coast - Vancouver Island. Taking the Trans Canada highway - it's about 4500 km. And my cars range is 240 miles (393 km). I can't wait!!!
You'll be stopping to charge every 3 hours? Not terrible i guess, if the charging is fast, but still likely 3-10x longer than getting gas.
Old 03-21-21, 06:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

quick calc, $4 gallon, 100+ gallons, 20mpg, that's 2000+ miles (3200+km) per month - you drove them that much?
Gas is like $5.85 a US gallon if you convert what those in Canada pay. Premium is $6.50
Old 03-21-21, 06:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Gas is like $5.85 a US gallon if you convert what those in Canada pay. Premium is $6.50
Wow. That's painful.
Old 03-21-21, 07:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Wow. That's painful.
It is what is. Things are just different in different parts of the world...or country. My sister who lives in the Southern US pays quite a bit less..(about half) but wages are less for her as well after work moved her and transferred her to the US and put her on a US dollar payroll.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-21-21 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-21-21, 07:23 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

You'll be stopping to charge every 3 hours? Not terrible i guess, if the charging is fast, but still likely 3-10x longer than getting gas.
Yes of course - charging very fast. The Trans Canada highway has been "Supercharger enabled" as of more than a year ago.

Here is a screenshot

Old 03-21-21, 07:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes of course - charging very fast. The Trans Canada highway has been "Supercharger enabled" as of more than a year ago.

Here is a screenshot

It would take 12 hrs of charging to cross half of Canada?
Old 03-21-21, 07:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

It would take 12 hrs of charging to cross half of Canada?
And the majority of that time will be spent on a combination of the following - eating/washroom/stretching legs. So the "actual time " wasted" will be significantly less than 12 hours
And it's more than "half" way across Canada.
Old 03-21-21, 07:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

that's CDN $, right? so about $2 U.S.

Quick Reply: EV battery sizes, ranges, and Tesla exaggerations