Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT: Luxury SUV comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-21, 04:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the big american suvs are built on track bof chassis because it's practical and cheaper for them (mfrs) to do so.
the major downside to the bof platforms being used is the suvs become really tall (to achieve usable interior height on top the truck frame) and just huge overall.)
The most expensive Mercedes SUV is a body on frame model
Old 02-20-21, 04:09 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

The Navigator has a perfect 50/50 weight distribution (never thought I'd say that). Yes a V8 would have been fairer, but the Lincoln is 6 cylinders as well.
Did you even look at the hp ratings between the two? 335hp for the X7 vs 450hp for the Navigator. That’s a big difference.
Old 02-20-21, 04:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Did you even look at the hp ratings between the two? 335hp for the X7 vs 450hp for the Navigator. That’s a big difference.
I sure did. That is a very impressive V6 from Ford. Do I agree that it’s better than a V8? NO. But MT is gonna say the prices were as close as possible. I dunno, I have never loved crossovers and I do not like X7 exterior....not sure I love the Navi but I do like the themes they are doing and their new direction is definitely nicer and more appealing than Lexus....I have never cared for BMW X line of models or MB crossovers.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-20-21 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 04:22 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I sure did. That is a very impressive V6 from Ford. Do I agree that it’s better than a V8? NO. But MT is gonna say the prices were as close as possible. I dunno, I have never loved crossovers and I do not like X7 exterior....not sure I love the Navi but I do like the themes they are doing and their new direction is definitely nicer and more appealing than Lexus....
My point is they complain about the lack of power in the article but they knew about that just based on the engine they picked for the test. As for the Navi, definitely impressive from that engine and I will probably check one out as long as it’s not too big.
Old 02-20-21, 04:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm guessing the Navigator since it's been around longer is proving to be more reliable than Lincoln's other SUV's, especially the Aviator which had a lot of QC and reliability issues initially.
Old 02-20-21, 04:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

The most expensive Mercedes SUV is a body on frame model
the g-wagon is a specialty product, basically a very tall tank designed for just about any off road circumstances, and not a normal luxury suv.

The entrants in this motortrend comparison are cushy big suvs for hauling families and friends in comfort, nothing at all like a g-wagon.

the g-wagon is a 2 row brute that's some TWENTY INCHES SHORTER than a navigator.
Old 02-20-21, 04:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm guessing the Navigator since it's been around longer is proving to be more reliable than Lincoln's other SUV's, especially the Aviator which had a lot of QC and reliability issues initially.
I think any Lincoln/Ford will be more reliable than a German car.
Old 02-20-21, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol or could it just be perhaps that nobody does big trucks better than us? The BOF truck platforms are excellent places to start for vehicles like these.
Agreed......and one of the shortcomings is that, until now, with the upcoming Jeep Grand Wagoneer, FCA refused to have an entry in that segment. The Durango was between a half-size and one size smaller.

Suburban has been around since what, 1938?

Close....1936. I'll give you the cigar anyway.
Old 02-20-21, 04:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I think any Lincoln/Ford will be more reliable than a German car.
My point was that the Navigator might have pretty decent reliability to go along with its other attributes.
Old 02-20-21, 05:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed......and one of the shortcomings is that, until now, with the upcoming Jeep Grand Wagoneer, FCA refused to have an entry in that segment.
The new Grand Wagoneer body on frame?
Old 02-20-21, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The new Grand Wagoneer body on frame?

As far as I know, it is being done on the Ram BOF platform.
Old 02-21-21, 09:36 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Navigator is the lowest market share out of those 4. Escalade and GLS are usually the top, new GLS has helped it catch back up to Escalade a bit recently. X7 has jumped out ahead of Navigator in just a few years on the market.
Old 02-21-21, 09:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They used the lowest trim on the X7, there is a huge difference between 40i and m50i trims.
Old 02-21-21, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I look forward to reading the article, having driven all of these vehicles several times (save the new Escalade which I’ve only sat in) the premise is flawed, the vehicles are really different. Personally, I would never choose the big BOF utes over the unibody X7 and GLS unless I needed to tow or really commonly carried more people. Or maybe if they were mainly used for long highway trips. In day to day driving they feel much bigger and more ponderous. So I would say this matchup is more about what sort of vehicle you like than which vehicle is objectively better.

For example, I would consider the X7 and GLS as potential luxury sedan replacements for me, would never consider a Navigator or Escalade.

As for the Navigator and Escalade being a class above, no way. Fully loaded X7s and GLS are way more money than any Navigator or Escalade.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-21-21 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-21-21, 11:09 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
the premise is flawed, the
Originally Posted by Och
They used the lowest trim on the X7, there is a huge difference between 40i and m50i trims.
This article I enjoyed but it was flawed I agree, or somewhat contradictory.

This is THE FIRST time I’ve ever heard of that BMW six being underpowered. It’s an underrated engine numbers wise to begin with and gushed over repeatedly. I’ve read more than one review of the X7 where the six was more than enough, to where they said V8 unnecessary. I find it hard to believe that on freeways the X7 feels slow.

Then they infer that the Navigator sounds good. Uhhhm, the Ecoboosts perform great yet but nobody really cares for the sounds they make. Then they say that there isn’t any high horsepower rush in the Escalade from a detuned Corvette 6.2? Really? They should have added 20 hp or so with the redesign to offset the added weight because the new one is slower, but still.

Finally, I didn’t go into all the pics because ads but that GLS interior sure looked nice and premium to me.

What do some of you all think?

Quick Reply: MT: Luxury SUV comparison.