Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus NX: Available as first plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21 | 07:09 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
X3 and Q5 don’t matter to the NX. Different segment. But NX is the better package
NX has effectively priced itself into competing with the X3/Q5/GLC/GV70. The 350 starts at $42K- that's $3K shy of an X3, Q5, and GLC (all equipped with AWD in that price), and slightly more than the GV70 ($41K).

The 450h+ also effectively competes with all the German 6 cylinders in price as well, though as I mentioned before it'll be too low in supply to have any affect on sales.

Of course, how many Lexus NX buyers actually cross-shop with other brands is a different story.
Old 10-10-21 | 07:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
NX has effectively priced itself into competing with the X3/Q5/GLC/GV70. The 350 starts at $42K- that's $3K shy of an X3, Q5, and GLC (all equipped with AWD in that price), and slightly more than the GV70 ($41K). And the 450h+ effectively competes with all the German 6 cylinders in price as well, though as I mentioned before it'll be too low in supply to have any affect on sales.

Of course, how many Lexus NX buyers actually cross-shop with other brands is a different story.
‘Still does not truly compete. It’s a fwd based Toyota with not one but two different electrified, it’s better in many many ways. The 450+ will not be supply constrainted, that is a myth.
Old 10-10-21 | 07:16 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

‘Still does not truly compete. It’s a fwd based Toyota with not one but two different electrified, it’s better in many many ways. The 450+ will not be supply constrainted, that is a myth.
It's priced to compete directly with them and sits in the same segment so what's under the hood doesn't matter. Unless you want to insist that cars like the XC60 don't compete as well even though it's also FWD-based and hybridized.

450h+ will be supply constrained because it's based on the RAV4 Prime which doesn't have sufficient battery supply. This is a fact.
Old 10-10-21 | 07:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

IUnless you want to insist that cars like the XC60 don't compete as well even though it's also FWD-based and hybridized.
No idea what a XC60 is.

450h+ will be supply constrained because it's based on the RAV4 Prime which doesn't have sufficient battery supply. This is a fact.
RAV4 Prime is about to selling 40,000 unit a year in the US alone (i think they sell more RAV4 primes that Genesis sells units). Not constrained at all. Toyota just limits the production intentionally as there is not enough of a market yet for Toyota plug in models
Old 10-10-21 | 07:28 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

No idea what a XC60 is
A Volvo. Two seconds on google isn't that hard.

RAV4 is about to selling 40,000 unit a year in the US alone (i think they sell more RAV4 primes that Genesis sells[units). Not constrained at all. Toyota just limits the production intentionally
Wrong again. As of Q3 it's sold only 20,000 units- less than a quarter the sales volume of the regular hybrid and barely 6% of all RAV4's sold this year in the U.S. It is the definition of supply constrained, and the NX will sell even less.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...sales-results/

Old 10-10-21 | 07:31 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

No idea what a XC60 is.

RAV4 Prime is about to selling 40,000 unit a year in the US alone (i think they sell more RAV4 primes that Genesis sells units). Not constrained at all. Toyota just limits the production intentionally as there is not enough of a market yet for Toyota plug in models
this is a blatant lie and I am not sure how you can say this with a straight face. There are only 2 rav4 prime on sale in a 100 mile radius of me. But sure it's not supply constraints. I guess all the news outlets, toyota dealerships and people that want to buy one buy can't because it's not available is making up stories.
Old 10-10-21 | 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
But do you think that's enough to take the slice of the sales pie from X3 and Q5? I'm still undecided. On the other hand I belive GV70 is the best in the class right now but that will not affect it's sales due to poor network.
Absolutely not. This vehicle, like all Lexus and Toyota vehicles will not take people away from the Germans. This is designed to offer a path upmarket for a Toyota consumer.

No truer words from a Toyota consumer have ever been spoken:

No idea what a XC60 is.
Old 10-10-21 | 07:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No truer words from a Toyota consumer have ever been spoken:
The Volvo brand to me boring and unexciting to me. No offence to Volvo fans. So I have never really paid attention to Volvo. Volvo also imports from China so there is even more reason to ignore the brand We did test drive one years ago..I think it was a turbo and supercharged model. It was nice
Old 10-10-21 | 08:00 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

The Volvo brand to me boring and unexciting to me. No offence to Volvo fans. So I have never really paid attention to Volvo. Volvo also imports from China so there is even more reason to ignore the brand We did test drive one years ago..I think it was a turbo and supercharged model. It was nice
You love hybrids and use them to bash EV's in every thread, yet you find the brand doing the most with hybrid tech at the moment to be "boring and unexciting" lol okay.

To be honest I don't really care for Volvo's supercharged-turbochared 4-pot approach, but it is extremely innovative and their EV's are some of the more compelling out there.
Old 10-10-21 | 08:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You love hybrids and use them to bash EV's in every thread, yet you find the brand doing the most with hybrid tech at the moment to be "boring and unexciting" lol okay.
I only really follow the Toyota hybrid models so see how they do it. Their growth is coming from Hybrids so it’s interesting to watch. And Toyota is leader in hybrids and their hybrid brand equity is so strong. I follow the Hyundai models as well but I don’t follow it in depth….just sort of when the release something new. Volvo cars just don’t seem to excite me much. I’m sorry

You love hybrids and
use them to bash EV's in every thread, yet you find the brand doing the most with hybrid tech at the moment to be "boring and unexciting" lol okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45sGG5O-Ml8

To be honest I don't really care for Volvo's supercharged-turbochared 4-pot approach, but it is extremely innovative and their EV's are some of the more compelling out there.
Ive seem two Polestar SUVs or crossovers on the road. They look nice. Never knew they were part of Volvo till recently

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-10-21 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-10-21 | 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The point is, these consumers don't really compare anything else so they don't know what the competition offers. They just go buy a new Toyota or Lexus. Thats what Toyota and Lexus are designing for. Great example is the new Sienna. 10 years in development, last place in every comparison test. Toyota buyers will still buy them because they never even consider anything else.

If you don't know the competitors you can't have a real grasp on how one product compares. I can't speak for this new NX, but the XC60 blows the old NX away. Much better car.

This new model though looks good, the styling is much better, the interior is much better. Powertrains are disappointing relative to the competition, but thats par for the course.
Old 10-10-21 | 08:26 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

The point is, these consumers don't really compare anything else so they don't know what the competition offers. They just go buy a new Toyota or Lexus. Thats what Toyota and Lexus are designing for. Great example is the new Sienna. 10 years in development, last place in every comparison test. Toyota buyers will still buy them because they never even consider anything else.

If you don't know the competitors you can't have a real grasp on how one product compares. I can't speak for this new NX, but the XC60 blows the old NX away. Much better car.

This new model though looks good, the styling is much better, the interior is much better. Powertrains are disappointing relative to the competition, but thats par for the course.
I agree with most of this, but at the same time we are entering uncharted territory with the NX450h+, especially when that sort of money can get you in some decently equipped turbo V6 German rivals. Supply issues aside, I wonder how many Toyota buyers would be willing to fork out $60k+ for what is essentially a nicer RAV4 Prime.

Lexus is very competitive on the lower end, but their higher-priced models generally attract more discerning buyers who would be willing to cross-shop, hence why models like the LS500 tanked.
Old 10-10-21 | 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with most of this, but at the same time we are entering uncharted territory with the NX450h+, especially when that sort of money can get you in some decently equipped turbo V6 German rivals. Supply issues aside, I wonder how many Toyota buyers would be willing to fork out $60k+ for what is essentially a nicer RAV4 Prime.

Lexus is very competitive on the lower end, but their higher-priced models generally attract more discerning buyers who would be willing to cross-shop, hence why models like the LS500 tanked.
I think that an NX450+ has a very different appeal than the 6 cyl German rivals. I think Toyota has tapped into the vein of people that want a car thats very good on gas and economical, and the 450+ will appeal to them and they would never even consider a German 6cyl rival.

I think more and more they just aren't competitors.
Old 10-10-21 | 08:41 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I think that an NX450+ has a very different appeal than the 6 cyl German rivals. I think Toyota has tapped into the vein of people that want a car thats very good on gas and economical, and the 450+ will appeal to them and they would never even consider a German 6cyl rival.

I think more and more they just aren't competitors.
But the Germans/Europeans offer PHEV versions as well. You can get a Q5, X3, and the aforementioned XC60 all as PHEV's- they all cost roughly the same as their turbo V6 counterparts. My main point here is that Lexus has priced the NX into another higher segment of vehicles that it wasn't in previously, and I'm curious to see if it's really Toyota buyers who would be willing to fork out $60k+ for the new NX instead of potential Euro cross-shoppers.
Old 10-10-21 | 08:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But the Germans/Europeans offer PHEV versions as well. You can get a Q5, X3, and the aforementioned XC60 all as PHEV's- they all cost roughly the same as their turbo V6 counterparts. My main point here is that Lexus has priced the NX into another higher segment of vehicles that it wasn't in previously, and I'm curious to see if it's really Toyota buyers who would be willing to fork out $60k+ for the new NX instead of potential Euro cross-shoppers.
I think there are, you assume those buyers will even know what the competition is...when Jill as well versed as she is didnt know what an XC60 is. $60k isn't what it used to be.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus NX: Available as first plug-in hybrid