Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus NX: Available as first plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21, 08:57 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Every single vid I've seen on the RAV and NX say the plug-in version is highly supply constrained. Which makes sense it's the only versions worth buying IMO.
Old 10-10-21, 09:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Every single vid I've seen on the RAV and NX say the plug-in version is highly supply constrained. Which makes sense it's the only versions worth buying IMO.
Its absolutely highly constrained
Old 10-10-21, 09:07 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its absolutely highly constrained
$55k is a lot of money for that car. Sure you get federal tax credits but now you are pushing into other electric segments like Model Ys and Mach Es. Which have more space and much more power.

Toyota really planned it's battery supply chain badly. It's not like it's a huge battery either...super dinky.
Old 10-10-21, 09:19 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

RAV4 Prime is about to selling 40,000 unit a year in the US alone (i think they sell more RAV4 primes that Genesis sells units). Not constrained at all. Toyota just limits the production intentionally as there is not enough of a market yet for Toyota plug in models
That comment is ridiculous. I suppose living in Canada and NY have blindfolded you to what is really happening with the RAV4 Prime and Toyota in general.

California has adopted their own emissions standards ignoring the EPA standards that apply to all of the USA. About 15 States have adopted the Cali Std and have formed what is called the CARB states or ZEV (zero emissions vehicles). So Toyota has agreed to follow the Carb states. Toyota gets some kind of credit from this group so they can sell more Tundra and gas guzzling models. This has the effect that Toyota will not sell RAV4 Primes in non-Carb states.

Living in Florida(non carb state) I have seen this happen. I have shopped a Rav4 prime for months and not one is for sale in Florida. The closest I could find one is in Maryland, NJ and NY. Even the new Venza is not available here. So I have been searching non Toyota models and saw the new Hyundai Santa Fe plug-in come out. On the their web page in Bold letters is the statements the model will not be available in NON CARB states! So Hyundai has joined the ban. I don't understand why these companies want to limit their sales of low emission models to all customers. (the credit they receive must be very good). Either the US Govt must act to apply a country wide standard or Florida must join the Carb states. I don't see either one happening soon.

So to finalize the New Lexus NX 450h+ will not be available to about 35 States as Motorola alluded to before.[/s]

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-10-21 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-10-21, 10:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
RAV4 Prime is about to selling 40,000 unit a year in the US alone (i think they sell more RAV4 primes that Genesis sells units). Not constrained at all. Toyota just limits the production intentionally as there is not enough of a market yet for Toyota plug in models
That comment is ridiculous. I suppose living in Canada and NY have blindfolded you to what is really happening with the RAV4 Prime and Toyota in general.

California has adopted their own emissions standards ignoring the EPA standards that apply to all of the USA. About 15 States have adopted the Cali Std and have formed what is called the CARB states or ZEV (zero emissions vehicles). So Toyota has agreed to follow the Carb states. Toyota gets some kind of credit from this group so they can sell more Tundra and gas guzzling models. This has the effect that Toyota will not sell RAV4 Primes in non-Carb states.

Living in Florida(non carb state) I have seen this happen. I have shopped a Rav4 prime for months and not one is for sale in Florida. The closest I could find one is in Maryland, NJ and NY. Even the new Venza is not available here. So I have been searching non Toyota models and saw the new Hyundai Santa Fe plug-in come out. On the their web page in Bold letters is the statements the model will not be available in NON CARB states! So Hyundai has joined the ban. I don't understand why these companies want to limit their sales of low emission models to all customers. (the credit they receive must be very good). Either the US Govt must act to apply a country wide standard or Florida must join the Carb states. I don't see either one happening soon.

So to finalize the New Lexus NX 450h+ will not be available to about 35 States as Motorola alluded to before.
So…looking outside of the United States. This new NX plugin will be sold in over 90 countries. Just like the RAV4 prime….40,000 is what they are selling worldwide…if not more. Maybe I said 40k in the US only…not sure. Toyota limiting the production of where they sell is up to them. Before you know it…Toyota will be selling over 100K units of the RAV4 and NX plug ins very soon

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-10-21 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-10-21, 10:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think there are, you assume those buyers will even know what the competition is...when Jill as well versed as she is didnt know what an XC60 is. $60k isn't what it used to be.
Just looked at the US website for the XC60. Volvos entry price is $54K….the NX outgoing is $37K…completely different class of vehicle. The electric range of the Volvo is pretty poor at just 19 miles. Such an uninspiring brand that Volvo is. I do acknowledge that there are some that really love the brand.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-10-21 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-10-21, 11:08 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just looked at the US website for the XC60. Volvos entry price is $54K
You sure love pulling made-up information out of thin air.

And the price of an NX 350 with a similar 4-cylinder turbo like the Volvo is $42K, so it's absolutely comparable to the Volvo.
Old 10-10-21, 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If you don't know the competitors you can't have a real grasp on how one product compares. I can't speak for this new NX, but the XC60 blows the old NX away. Much better car.
The Lincoln Corsair, Cadillac XT4, Buick Envision is the true competitions the NX. The very low end MB fwd crossover is a competitor as well. Acura RDX as well.

If you don't know the competitors you can't have a real grasp on how one product compares. I can't speak for this new NX, but the XC60 blows the old NX away. Much better car.

CR rates the 21 NX at 84, the XC60 is at 60. Not sure it really blows it away.

Originally Posted by Motorola

And the price of an NX 350 with a similar 4-cylinder turbo like the Volvo is $42K, so it's absolutely comparable to the Volvo.]
‘Couldn’t find that on the website I shall look again.
Edit: I only looked up recharge. But still Is $5K more at the starting price. Super boring design from my viewpoint. The outgoing NX was not any more appealing.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Motorola
you don’t have to be so nasty. . (It’s like every post)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-10-21 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-10-21, 11:18 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

​​​you don’t have to be so nasty.
Nothing nasty about saying that the facts you presented in these last few posts are all made-up one after another. Maybe perform a bit more careful research before challenging others on the basis of facts?
Old 10-10-21, 11:28 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Lets be respectful here. Everyone.
Old 10-10-21, 11:53 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 10-10-21, 12:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blaze876
the gs400 in 1998 was the fastest midsized luxury sedan available. So what you said is incorrect..
I believe it was claimed that the GS400 was the fastest automatic midsize luxury sedan. I think the manual versions of the competitors were still faster
Originally Posted by natnut
‘ I watched this review earlier in the morning. I like his reviews I think they’re fair.
Old 10-10-21, 12:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

CR rates the 21 NX at 84, the XC60 is at 60. Not sure it really blows it away.
I've driven them both. I wouldn't even consider a 21 NX over an XC60.
Old 10-10-21, 01:04 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Jill, What's your source for the 40k??? So 100k very soon?? Are you a swami or what? Why would you post such drivel.

It only takes a few seconds to look at your past posts to see you did say in the US. You're getting just like marshall and never admitting you're wrong.
Old 10-10-21, 01:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Jill, What's your source for the 40k??? So 100k very soon?? Are you a swami or what? Why would you post such drivel.
They are gonna sell about 25k this year in the US. So there are more countries out there that will support it to 40K.

In Q3, Toyota sold 10,000 RAV4 plug in models. At that pace, they should be at 40,000 per year next year. I haven’t checked the accuracy of InsideEVs which is just a blog site

https://insideevs.com/news/538095/us...es-2021q3/amp/

It only takes a few seconds to look at your past posts to see you did say in the US. You're getting just like marshall and never admitting you're wrong.
So yeah….was wrong about the US being at 40K. I am sure worldwide it’s gonna be closer to 40K….Toyota did sell 10K in the quarter. Over time, no doubt Toyota will hit 100K units worldwide for RAV4 Prime/NX450+ combined

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-10-21 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus NX: Available as first plug-in hybrid