Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus NX: Available as first plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21, 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
You sure love pulling made-up information out of thin air.
hey, LexsCTJill may have been looking at CANADIAN prices, so calm down.
Old 10-10-21, 02:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Volvo Canada lists it starting at $50K, not $54K, so no- still wrong.

https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/v/cars/xc60
Old 10-10-21, 02:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I just didn’t see it. Just saw the recharge model. The starting cost is $5K more than the NX.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-10-21 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-10-21, 03:16 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

450h+ will be extremely supply-constrained and dealer marked up by $10K+ like the RAV4 Prime it's based on. So the "highest-performing" available NX will be the 350 turbo, and it's not much of a performer.
I live in the Bay Area so I will be less impacted by battery supply-constraints. When I can now get the RAV4 Prime for retail at multiple Toyota dealerships here, I can safely say I can get the NX 450h+ for retail too. Just have to be patient. So for me and a lot of people interested in the NX, the "highest-performing" NX is the 450h+.

Love the typical banter over nothing here. Both sides throwing out fake news subjective assessments on "performance," infotainment, supply constraints, competitors and etc. Never change, CL Car Chat, never change.
Old 10-10-21, 04:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is the standard hybrid version review. (Not sure if it has been posted yet)

Old 10-10-21, 11:20 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nicedude
I live in the Bay Area so I will be less impacted by battery supply-constraints. When I can now get the RAV4 Prime for retail at multiple Toyota dealerships here, I can safely say I can get the NX 450h+ for retail too. Just have to be patient. So for me and a lot of people interested in the NX, the "highest-performing" NX is the 450h+.

Love the typical banter over nothing here. Both sides throwing out fake news subjective assessments on "performance," infotainment, supply constraints, competitors and etc. Never change, CL Car Chat, never change.
Anecdotes like this are all easily verifiable. There's certainly some "fake news" here but not from me...

I'm on Autotrader right now and there are a grand total of 21 RAV4 Primes listed within 100 miles of San Fransisco, 12 of which don't even have photos of the car up yet because they're likely not yet even on dealership lots. All are marked above sticker, some by over $15K.

Have a look for yourself.

Last edited by Motorola; 10-10-21 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-11-21, 03:13 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe it was claimed that the GS400 was the fastest automatic midsize luxury sedan. I think the manual versions of the competitors were still faster
Hmm you could be right, I believe BMW 5 with manual was a tick of a second faster.
Old 10-11-21, 06:19 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

can you advise us where you can get them at MSRP on the west coast? There is a whole subreddit dedicated to the Rav4 Prime and the only way people on the west coast can get Rav4 Primes at MSRP is to go on a approx 4 months wait list.

I am not sure why people insist on saying things that are easily verified to be true or not in a couple of minutes. People on the west coast are flying to east coast dealerships to get Rav4 Primes at MSRP.

You know how much Prime is available in Texas? Take a guess. Zero. In the state of Texas there are zero available. But we should believe that there are no supply constraints, perhaps toyota don't want to sell Primes to people in Texas. That's more believable than there being a supply constraint.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25
Old 10-11-21, 02:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

But the Germans/Europeans offer PHEV versions as well. You can get a Q5, X3, and the aforementioned XC60 all as PHEV's- they all cost roughly the same as their turbo V6 counterparts. My main point here is that Lexus has priced the NX into another higher segment of vehicles that it wasn't in previously, and I'm curious to see if it's really Toyota buyers who would be willing to fork out $60k+ for the new NX instead of potential Euro cross-shoppers.
It is a bit like saying that they all have 4 wheels.

NX 450+ has better powertrain than any of the europeans. It goes longer in EV mode, it gets better mpg in hybrid mode, it is fast and quiet - well integrated powertrain that Germans simply do not have.
Old 10-11-21, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
But do you think that's enough to take the slice of the sales pie from X3 and Q5? I'm still undecided. On the other hand I belive GV70 is the best in the class right now but that will not affect it's sales due to poor network.
NX is already close or better selling than x3, q5 and glc.

Will this NX sell better than the old one? You bet.
Old 10-11-21, 03:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
NX is already close or better selling than x3, q5 and glc.

Will this NX sell better than the old one? You bet.
We shall see. If the new tax credit goes into effect, a bunch of new EV models may eat into the current ICE models. I'd rather a Model Y for $55k than an NX if both have the $7,500 tax credit. Interesting times...
Old 10-11-21, 04:07 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
NX 450+ has better powertrain than any of the europeans. It goes longer in EV mode, it gets better mpg in hybrid mode, it is fast and quiet - well integrated powertrain that Germans simply do not have.
The German PHEV's are all phoned-in to comply with Euro regulations. That being said, they would all drive circles around the NX and have vastly superior user technology and handling capability, if recent reviews are accurate.

I suspect the take rate for the German PHEV's is extremely low, either due to limited supply or demand or both. They seem to only exist here for the sake of emissions compliance. Likewise, the NX450h+ won't be a top seller anytime soon as we all mentioned before with the RAV4 Prime shortages.

Head to head though, the NX350 (which Lexus claims will be their volume seller) would get absolutely trounced by just about every other turbo 4-cylinder crossover in this segment. It'll sell well, but mainly to Toyota/Lexus-only consumers as Steve pointed out. It's the 450h+ that has the sole potential to draw in Euro cross-shoppers because it may actually be class-competitive, even if it's a small sub-class.

Last edited by Motorola; 10-11-21 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-11-21, 04:24 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Anecdotes like this are all easily verifiable. There's certainly some "fake news" here but not from me...

I'm on Autotrader right now and there are a grand total of 21 RAV4 Primes listed within 100 miles of San Fransisco, 12 of which don't even have photos of the car up yet because they're likely not yet even on dealership lots. All are marked above sticker, some by over $15K.

Have a look for yourself.
Take a step back and read what you wrote: "Originally Posted by Motorola
450h+ will be extremely supply-constrained and dealer marked up by $10K+ like the RAV4 Prime it's based on. So the "highest-performing" available NX will be the 350 turbo, and it's not much of a performer."

How does initial supply constraints and dealer mark-ups make the 450h+ disappear into thin air like it doesn't exist? Does that not sound like fake news from you? What is initially available for me, might not be available for you. If you worded it like: the "highest-performing" available NX for me is the 350 turbo... then yeah, I totally agree.

I also clearly stated in my reply you have to be patient to get it for retail. I don't suggest anyone roll up to a Toyota dealership right now to buy an available RAV4 Prime. You will be ripped off. Same thing for the NX 450h+ in the future.

And to take two steps back, I clearly put quotes around "performance" in my first post in this thread because I think it is a joke to expect legit performance from the NX lineup. Going quick in a straight-lineup is just part of the performance equation.

Like clock work, your most recent post... Smh. You do you I guess.

Originally Posted by Blaze876
can you advise us where you can get them at MSRP on the west coast? There is a whole subreddit dedicated to the Rav4 Prime and the only way people on the west coast can get Rav4 Primes at MSRP is to go on a approx 4 months wait list.

I am not sure why people insist on saying things that are easily verified to be true or not in a couple of minutes. People on the west coast are flying to east coast dealerships to get Rav4 Primes at MSRP.

You know how much Prime is available in Texas? Take a guess. Zero. In the state of Texas there are zero available. But we should believe that there are no supply constraints, perhaps toyota don't want to sell Primes to people in Texas. That's more believable than there being a supply constraint.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25
You stated how to get it for retail in California. Get on the wait list with one of the dealerships willing to sell for retail. I recommend Longo Toyota/Lexus. Did I also not say be patient in my post? Is there not a waitlist for just about any other in demand car? Let me tell you, there is a similar wait for the Model Y Long Range as the RAV4 Prime. I expect the same for the NX 450h+.

You potentially miss out on too many extra California state subsidies to purchase the RAV4 Prime out of state. I would not risk it.

You live in Florida and you also bring up Texas as an example of lack of inventory. I live in California. Come on, clearly there are reasons why the RAV4 Prime is more readily available in California compared to Florida and Texas.

Last edited by nicedude; 10-11-21 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-11-21, 04:36 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZZ
We shall see. If the new tax credit goes into effect, a bunch of new EV models may eat into the current ICE models. I'd rather a Model Y for $55k than an NX if both have the $7,500 tax credit. Interesting times...
The dilemma I am facing right now. I know the pros and cons of both, but if the NX 450h+ loses most of the subsidies and the Model Y potentially gets even more than $7,500 in subsidies... With that said, Tesla might continue to raise the price of the Model Y in anticipation of the new subsidies. Game time decision for me.
Old 10-11-21, 04:39 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Take a step back and read what you wrote: "Originally Posted by Motorola
450h+ will be extremely supply-constrained and dealer marked up by $10K+ like the RAV4 Prime it's based on. So the "highest-performing" available NX will be the 350 turbo, and it's not much of a performer."

How does initial supply constraints and dealer mark-ups make the 450h+ disappear into thin air like it doesn't exist? Does that not sound like fake news from you? What is initially available for me, might not be available for you. If you worded it like: the "highest-performing" available NX for me is the 350 turbo... then yeah, I totally agree.

I also clearly stated in my reply you have to be patient to get it for retail. I don't suggest anyone roll up to a Toyota dealership right now to buy an available RAV4 Prime. You will be ripped off. Same thing for the NX 450h+ in the future.

And to take two steps back, I clearly put quotes around "performance" in my first post in this thread because I think it is a joke to expect legit performance from the NX lineup. Going quick in a straight-lineup is just part of the performance equation.

Like clock work, your most recent post... Smh. You do you I guess.
You not liking something factual doesn't make it "fake news."

Fact: RAV4 Prime is supply constrained. Not up for debate, period.

Everything I said also still stands correct. The NX450h+ will be supply constrained, because the Toyota it's based on is also supply-constrained. Your entire opposing argument to that is "b-but wait it's not out yet!" Name me one Lexus model that has ever had higher production than its Toyota counterpart.

And no response as to my disproving of your blatantly fictional anecdote about getting the RAV4 Prime "for retail" I see lol.

You stated how to get it for retail in California. Get on the wait list with one of the dealerships willing to sell for retail. I recommend Longo Toyota/Lexus. Did I also not say be patient in my post? Is there not a waitlist for just about any other in demand car? Let me tell you, there is a similar wait for the Model Y Long Range as the RAV4 Prime. I expect the same for the NX 450h+.
Come on man, don't try pretending to change what you originally wrote just like that...

I live in the Bay Area so I will be less impacted by battery supply-constraints. When I can NOW get the RAV4 Prime for retail at multiple Toyota dealerships here, I can safely say I can get the NX 450h+ for retail too. Just have to be patient. So for me and a lot of people interested in the NX, the "highest-performing" NX is the 450h+.

Last edited by Motorola; 10-11-21 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus NX: Available as first plug-in hybrid