Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Carwizard Lexus LS430 Mercedes S(CL)500 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 09:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
To the bold, and that is exactly my point with the LS...it never truly competed with the German branded cars. It was a player, but in the lower part of the segment. Mercedes and BMW all push their models to new heights, performance, options, etc etc..
The vast majority of German sales were lower in their range vs higher in their range, they still are. To say the LS never competed with the German cars is just absurd, it absolutely did, the fact that it didn't have anything to compete with the really high end versions of those cars doesn't mean that it didn't compete where it mattered most. As I've illustrated the impact of that competition is seen in all three of those German brands even still today when Lexus is largely a non factor to them everywhere but the bottom of the market.

I think you have perhaps....the best response to the pros, cons, strengths and shortcomings to all of the LS models...in any response I have read on this forum Well said!
The most in line with your own lol.
Old 02-27-21, 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
This was also a start of new marketing strategies for many manufacturers, where maybe they lowered the quality of certain materials in the base model, but then offered higher trims with even more expensive materials. Regarding the V12s, these models also came equipped with stuff like soft close doors, leather wrapped dashboards, alcantara headliners, laminated glass side windows, and other stuff that LS400-LS430 simply did not offer. Only starting with LS460 Lexus started to really compete with these models, especially with the LS600h which was all the rave in its time.
I agree, except in a few areas. The LS430 did have leather dash options, just only in the lower dash, an alcantara headliner in the CL and UL packages, laminated side glass also.
Old 02-27-21, 09:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I agree, except in a few areas. The LS430 did have leather dash options, just only in the lower dash, an alcantara headliner in the CL and UL packages, laminated side glass also.
Thank you, good to know about the laminated glass and alcantara headliner, now I like the LS430 even more, lol. The lower portion of the dash leather wrapping does not cut it compared to full leather dash of the competitors.
Old 02-27-21, 09:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Thank you, good to know about the laminated glass and alcantara headliner, now I like the LS430 even more, lol. The lower portion of the dash leather wrapping does not cut it compared to full leather dash of the competitors.
True, but it was very nice and a nice upgrade from the 400.
Old 02-27-21, 09:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Ls430 also had soft close doors and trunk
Old 02-27-21, 09:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a nice article. The 430 is not quite up to the S500. wheelbase and length are telling. However, well engineer and competitive.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...-sport-sedans/
Old 02-27-21, 09:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The vast majority of German sales were lower in their range vs higher in their range, they still are. To say the LS never competed with the German cars is just absurd, it absolutely did, the fact that it didn't have anything to compete with the really high end versions of those cars doesn't mean that it didn't compete where it mattered most. As I've illustrated the impact of that competition is seen in all three of those German brands even still today when Lexus is largely a non factor to them everywhere but the bottom of the market.
I agree, if we're going to go there then you could say that the S class did not compete with S class. Base S400, S420, S500 models were a lot closer in price and features to the LS400/430 models vs their S600 and AMG siblings.

Back the topic, it offends me when a popular automotive expert uses disingenuous arguments to prop his bias. Not saying he is the only one on youtube to do this, but his perspective normally carries a lot more credibility as he's not just an entertainer but clearly an expert tech.
Old 02-27-21, 09:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Thank you, did not know that either.

Also, in the video car wizard complained about lack of headlight wipers on the LS430. Plastic headlights would get completely scratched up wipers, instead the LS430 was offered with headlight washer nozzles, at least in certain markets. I also don't think US spec W140 had headlight wipers.
Old 02-27-21, 10:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Yep, headlight washers, front and rear cooled and heated seats, separate rear ac unit, rear cool box, motorized headrests front and rear, rear lighted vanity mirrors, rear side window curtains, rear recline seats, etc.
Old 02-27-21, 10:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Here is a nice article. The 430 is not quite up to the S500. wheelbase and length are telling. However, well engineer and competitive.

My parents had the W220 S500, and in many ways it was better than the LS430, particularly the LWB and reassuring driving dynamics at high speeds. However the LS430 easily trumps it in interior quality and feel, controls, reliability, and overall build quality. If I had to decide between similarly equipped LS430 vs S500, I'd pick the LS.
Old 02-27-21, 10:02 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Why wouldn't one mention the V12? When Lexus debuted, Mercedes and Audi expanded their S and A to then offer something you couldn't get from Lexus....BMW already did it with 7 before Lexus..
You keep mentioning the lack of V12 but back in 07 when the LS600hL debuted they touted the hybrid powertrain as Lexus’ answer to a V12 (which clearly it wasn’t). I know many don’t like the LS460 but when it first came out I loved the styling. Sure it had its shortcomings but the 600hL is one of my favorite cars that I owned.
Old 02-27-21, 10:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
You keep mentioning the lack of V12 but back in 07 when the LS600hL debuted they touted the hybrid powertrain as Lexus’ answer to a V12 (which clearly it wasn’t). I know many don’t like the LS460 but when it first came out I loved the styling. Sure it had its shortcomings but the 600hL is one of my favorite cars that I owned.
I know...the 600h was supposed to be the Lexus version of the V12

In your opinion, what was the best Lexus LS ever?
Old 02-27-21, 10:09 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I know...the 600h was supposed to be the Lexus version of the V12

In your opinion, what was the best Lexus LS ever?
I never owned any of the older LS models but my favorite is still the LS600hL from a tech standpoint and styling standpoint. They had the first LED headlights, all had rear seat entertainment that included a motorized screen from the ceiling, reclining rear seats, and I loved the torque of the hybrid motor. I say the same thing in my signature, one of the best cars I’ve owned.
Old 02-27-21, 10:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm

The LS600 certainly wasn't a direct answer to the V12s, but it came out when the hybrids were all the rage, and it catered to all the green movement. Today hybrids are no longer trendy with Tesla and other full electrics stealing the hype, but that only makes the LS600h even that much more interesting. Along with its GS450h sibling, they were unique hybrids that actually geared towards performance improvement more than fuel economy improvement of a typical hybrid. I never had a chance to try out an LS600, but I drove the GS450h, and the instant torque and instant passing power were absolutely awesome at the time. And much like with $100k Teslas today, back then a rich ***** driving the LS600h got the perk to virtue signal about saving the planet.
Old 02-27-21, 10:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Good point.

Remember too, those were the years the LS outsold the S Class in America. So again, not quite to the same level as the S Class (it never has been) but the right combination of size, features, quality and attributes that it really resonated with buyers in that segment. You can't say it outsold it because of price, because its always been cheaper and hasn't always outsold it.

And...it was in the comparison so its clearly a competitor.

Originally Posted by Och
I agree, if we're going to go there then you could say that the S class did not compete with S class. Base S400, S420, S500 models were a lot closer in price and features to the LS400/430 models vs their S600 and AMG siblings.
Exactly.

Back the topic, it offends me when a popular automotive expert uses disingenuous arguments to prop his bias. Not saying he is the only one on youtube to do this, but his perspective normally carries a lot more credibility as he's not just an entertainer but clearly an expert tech.
He's not that type of "automotive expert". I do agree though he was too hard on the car.

Quick Reply: Carwizard Lexus LS430 Mercedes S(CL)500 Comparison