Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Aston Martin debuts its first F1 race car in 61 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-21, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Aston Martin debuts its first F1 race car in 61 years

LONDON — James Bond said he was thrilled, and seven-times Super Bowl champion Tom Brady threw in support from afar as Aston Martin showed off its first Formula One car in 61 years on Wednesday.

The launch, presented online by "Quantum of Solace" actress Gemma Arterton, played up the 108-year-old marque's connection to the fictional British secret agent as the Silverstone-based team started a new era.

"I just want to send a massive congratulations to all at Aston Martin for getting back onto the F1 grid for the first time since 1960," Bond actor Daniel Craig said in a video message.

"It is an incredible thrill for me, and I'm sure all F1 fans, to see Aston Martin racing again in their iconic Aston Martin Racing Green.

"Go take it to them. I'll see you on the grid."

The new James Bond film "No Time to Die," due for release in September, features four Aston Martins — the agent's car of choice.

Four-times world champion Sebastian Vettel, freshly arrived from Ferrari, and Canadian Lance Stroll will be the ones with the license to thrill and both liked the look of the sleek green AMR21 car that marks Aston's return as a constructor.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Brady offered his support in a video message for a team that last year, as Racing Point, finished fourth overall but won a race and were often third fastest.

"Hey Lance and Seb, looks like your ride is finally here and it looks amazing," he said. "I'll be cheering you guys every step of the way...good luck and kick some ***."

Lawrence Stroll, team owner and father of Lance, is also the executive chairman of Aston Martin and has big plans for expanding the brand and taking his team to the top.

"I have dreamed about this day for a very long time," he said.

"My first dream was to own a Formula One team. My second dream was to acquire a significant shareholding in Aston Martin Lagonda. Today is about the merging of those two dreams.

"This is just the beginning. The team is pushing forward, and our ambitions are limitless. We now have the pieces in place, the people and the partners, to make real progress."
Source
Old 03-03-21, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Old 03-03-21, 11:11 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Despite being branded "Aston Martin F1", this F1 car is powered by a Mercedes engine.

IIRC, Lawrence Stroll, owner of the Racing Point F1 team, bought a minority share in Aston Martin. AM then turned around and became the primary sponsor of the Racing Point F1 team, causing the re-brand.
Old 03-03-21, 11:16 AM
Hoovey689

In F1, constructors are required to develop and build their own chassis, but the engines can be provided by other manufacturers. There are currently 10 constructors, with Ferrari, Mercedes, and Renault providing the engines. No big deal.
Old 03-03-21, 11:22 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

^ right, of course.

Just throwing that bit out there, so people who aren't familiar with F1 don't think that this Aston Martin F1 race car is powered by an engine designed and built by Aston Martin.
Old 03-03-21, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by projectdna
^ right, of course.

Just throwing that bit out there, so people who aren't familiar with F1 don't think that this Aston Martin F1 race car is powered by an engine designed and built by Aston Martin.
Got it

I think Honda was supplying engines up until last year iirc
Old 03-03-21, 11:45 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Got it

I think Honda was supplying engines up until last year iirc
IIRC Honda as an F1 engine (powerplant) manufacturer is out after the 2021 season. Red Bull will be building their own powerplants for their F1 team and for RBR's sister team AlphaTauri.
Old 03-03-21, 01:04 PM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Despite being branded "Aston Martin F1", this F1 car is powered by a Mercedes engine.

IIRC, Lawrence Stroll, owner of the Racing Point F1 team, bought a minority share in Aston Martin. AM then turned around and became the primary sponsor of the Racing Point F1 team, causing the re-brand.
When I heard BWT was staying on as a sponsor I kind of feared the worse because of combining their primary pink color with what probably would be some sort of Aston Martin green but this turned out pretty good. I would say Alpine currently has the best looking car with Aston Martin second.
Old 03-03-21, 01:27 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

That’s great to see - hopefully this will help AM to develop better road cars as well.
Old 03-03-21, 01:35 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

This puts a smile on my face as both a Lexus and Aston driver.

My favorite is still their DB9 that flew further than the Wright brothers Kittyhawk. Backwards, but nice, flat attitude.
Old 03-03-21, 01:46 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Should be an interesting season. I’m not sure that anyone can dethrone Lewis Hamilton

Old 03-03-21, 02:16 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IIRC Honda as an F1 engine (powerplant) manufacturer is out after the 2021 season. Red Bull will be building their own powerplants for their F1 team and for RBR's sister team AlphaTauri.
Actually Red Bull will continue using the Honda engine without support from Honda:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...this%20season.
Old 03-04-21, 04:57 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mercedes Formula 1 engines, like their cars, are built in the UK by Ilmor Engineering - since bought by Mercedes and rebranded Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains. Ilmor were famous for supplying all the Indycar teams with engines.

So the engines Aston Martin will be using are manufactured only 30 miles away from their base.

Ironically, Aston Martin uses German Mercedes engines in their road cars.
Old 03-04-21, 07:45 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aston Martin is just a name here everything else is Mercedes with Stroll money.
Old 03-04-21, 07:55 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Aston Martin is just a name here everything else is Mercedes with Stroll money.
er, nope. Aston Martin Formula 1 traces it roots through Racing Point, Force India, Spyker, Midland FI, right back to Jordan Racing, based in Silverstone. No Mercedes there. As I said even the engines are Mercedes in name only.