Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EV rationalization

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21 | 03:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Funny you should say that. I personally couldn't give a rats *** about saving the planet or whatnot, and if I ever get an EV it's mostly for the acceleration. From your experience, how bad does the range drop once you get abusive with the throttle? Be honest please.
On a long road trip, I get around 250 miles if I'm gentle. On my normal commute, I couldn't care less about range or economy so I'll get about 150 miles max with 80% charge. Maybe worse on canyon runs. Keep in mind that i'm pretty much flooring it everywhere i go (a little past the speed limit) so if I did this in any ICE, it would get horrible gas mileage. If I know I have a long-day or i'm with my family, then 200-250 miles is very easy to do.
Old 03-08-21 | 03:15 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What happens if the aliens release an EMP on our planet and nothing electronic works?
Good point.

No one in Mad Max was driving an EV. Think about that.
Old 03-08-21 | 03:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
How many people are actually using their garages though?
OK--this is ridiculous. There are multiple people in my neighborhood that don't park their Teslas in the garage. But you know what's in the garage? Their 240V outlet, with a charger cord that reaches 10 feet to the driveway.
Old 03-08-21 | 03:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, but for many people it's a deal breaker, and they won't consider an EV.

I was saying hypothetically. Who knows what happens a few decades from now.
Actually, all the plugs are standardized in Europe and the US with CCS. Teslas in Europe isn't proprietary like it is here...they use CCS too. I think in 15 years, Tesla won't be in the charging business anymore. It will either sell or dismantle its network because a standard network will have won. The current Teslas can buy an adapter that can use Chademo and there are already 3rd party adaptors for CCS. The stuff they have now will also be worthless in 15 years...they'll probably have 800V capability to charge the car in 5 min or so.
Old 03-08-21 | 03:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, but for many people it's a deal breaker, and they won't consider an EV
There are many other options for charging that don't require a garage. You can easily install a charger in a driveway or a parking lot, we're going to see much quicker charging and many more charging stations too. EVs are coming, like it or not. If a car can be parked someplace, it can be charged in that place.

I was saying hypothetically. Who knows what happens a few decades from now.
Tesla is too big an enterprise to just go belly up, If they were to, they would be bought out and their Supercharger stations would be part of that. Like I said, EVs are coming en masse demand for charging is going to increase not go down.

As with your argument against self driving cars, too much has been invested in Tesla and in EV cars for anybody to reverse course. Self driving cars are coming, its inevitable, and mainstream EV cars are coming too, its inevitable.
Old 03-08-21 | 03:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

There are many other options for charging that don't require a garage. You can easily install a charger in a driveway or a parking lot, we're going to see much quicker charging and many more charging stations too. EVs are coming, like it or not. If a car can be parked someplace, it can be charged in that place.
Have you ever noted the general "parking lot" culture? People are too lazy to return shopping carts to the dedicated area, they are going to be too lazy to place the charger cables back in place, you'll see cables laying all over the ground being ran over by cars and becoming tripping hazards. I just don't see public chargers working, and private chargers are very inconvenient.

Tesla is too big an enterprise to just go belly up, If they were to, they would be bought out and their Supercharger stations would be part of that. Like I said, EVs are coming en masse demand for charging is going to increase not go down.

As with your argument against self driving cars, too much has been invested in Tesla and in EV cars for anybody to reverse course. Self driving cars are coming, its inevitable, and mainstream EV cars are coming too, its inevitable.

Mainstream EVs yes, but not as quickly as you may think. At the very minimum they will have to standardize the charging infrastructure, improve it, upgrade the grid, etc.

Self driving is nonsense, and will never happen, but we've beat that horse to death several years ago. Zero progress since then, lol. Waymo even dropped the "self driving" terminology because they know it's utter bs.
Old 03-08-21 | 04:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Have you ever noted the general "parking lot" culture? People are too lazy to return shopping carts to the dedicated area, they are going to be too lazy to place the charger cables back in place, you'll see cables laying all over the ground being ran over by cars and becoming tripping hazards. I just don't see public chargers working, and private chargers are very inconvenient.
You'll adapt. I just dont see whats inconvenient about plugging a car in where it sits overnight lol. Driving to a gas station is way more inconvenient...

Mainstream EVs yes, but not as quickly as you may think. At the very minimum they will have to standardize the charging infrastructure, improve it, upgrade the grid, etc.
All of that will happen more quickly than you think. And there are adapters for the charging infrastructure, you basically have two connectors, Tesla and everybody else. In Europe its much more standardized and even Teslas dont use their proprietary connectors. That will be regulated and adopted here too and charging will be ubiquitous.

Self driving is nonsense, and will never happen, but we've beat that horse to death several years ago. Zero progress since then, lol. Waymo even dropped the "self driving" terminology because they know it's utter bs.
There actually has been a lot of progress, but whatever you say lol

Wrong about self driving cars, and wrong about EVs. You have a hard time seeing outside the lens of your own life experience (everything has the same limitations as NYC, I don't park in a garage so nobody else does, etc). Way more people can easily adopt EVs than you think.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-08-21 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-08-21 | 04:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You'll adapt. I just dont see whats inconvenient about plugging a car in where it sits overnight lol. Driving to a gas station is way more inconvenient...
People trash everything that doesn't belong to them, thus my analogy with the shopping carts. You like to dismiss places like NYC, but millions of people live here, and millions more commute here for work. Majority of people park on the street in such places, and if public chargers are installed to accommodate street parking they are going to be destroyed and require constant repairs.

All of that will happen more quickly than you think. And there are adapters for the charging infrastructure, you basically have two connectors, Tesla and everybody else. In Europe its much more standardized and even Teslas dont use their proprietary connectors. That will be regulated and adopted here too and charging will be ubiquitous.
I apologize if I am mistaking you with someone else, but I believe a few years ago when I was complaining about Tesla using a proprietary charger, you were defending them? Maybe it was someone else. Regarding speed, we'll see, but it's generally not a quick process. Just getting permits for any electrical work is a process, when I needed to get a third phase to my shop it took a better part of six month to get the permit, the meter, and then Coned had to run their lines and my electrician had to connect the meter and run the line into my shop. Multiply this by millions requests and it can take decades.

There actually has been a lot of progress, but whatever you say lol

Wrong about self driving cars, and wrong about EVs. You have a hard time seeing outside the lens of your own life experience (everything has the same limitations as NYC, I don't park in a garage so nobody else does, etc). Way more people can easily adopt EVs than you think.
I am not against EVs at all, I love the concept, I almost bought an EV years ago. I just think that swappable batteries is a better direction than recharging, especially when we start seeing electric trucks and buses that often run several shifts in a row.

Self driving is nonsense, and Waymo dropping the self driving terminology is basically them telling you to manage your expectations.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/07/wa...#39;re%20doing.
Old 03-08-21 | 04:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
People trash everything that doesn't belong to them, thus my analogy with the shopping carts. You like to dismiss places like NYC, but millions of people live here, and millions more commute here for work. Majority of people park on the street in such places, and if public chargers are installed to accommodate street parking they are going to be destroyed and require constant repairs.
I don't dismiss NYC at all, most people dont live there though, Most people don't park their cars on the street as was illustrated in the numbers I presented. Many people who live in NYC don't own cars at all. 330M people live in the US, 19M people live in the NYC metro area, and many of those people live in places where they also have driveways and garages and underground garages, etc. A very small % of the car owning public parks their cars on the street when at home. You over-emphasize that because that's what you're surrounded by.

Your argument always is "that wont work in NYC" when in reality, whether it works in NYC or not doesnt matter, NYC is a drop in the bucket.

I apologize if I am mistaking you with someone else, but I believe a few years ago when I was complaining about Tesla using a proprietary charger, you were defending them? Maybe it was someone else. Regarding speed, we'll see, but it's generally not a quick process. Just getting permits for any electrical work is a process, when I needed to get a third phase to my shop it took a better part of six month to get the permit, the meter, and then Coned had to run their lines and my electrician had to connect the meter and run the line into my shop. Multiply this by millions requests and it can take decades.
It wasnt me. Again, your experience in your specific place you live is immaterial. They will escalate and expedite charging permits as they do solar panels. I have several clients who have installed charging stations even in townhouse parking lots, its not a big deal. There are companies that specialize in doing so.

Self driving is nonsense, and Waymo dropping the self driving terminology is basically them telling you to manage your expectations.
Go to Waymo's website. Still very much self driving. The difference between the word "autonomous" and "self driving" isn't so broad.

The future is coming, it'll drag you along with it
Old 03-08-21 | 04:54 PM
jer
Instructor

Watching a video on EV going from SF to LA. Looks like charging stations will need to be as common as current gas stations. They stopped to charge their EV and both the CCS (?) charging station and Tesla charging stations were down. It was a distance to the next stations, but they had enough battery to make it. I've seen other charging stations being offline on videos, but this would not be acceptable to the normal commuter, who today just goes across the street or down the block to fill up.
Old 03-08-21 | 05:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I don't dismiss NYC at all, most people dont live there though, Most people don't park their cars on the street as was illustrated in the numbers I presented. Many people who live in NYC don't own cars at all. 330M people live in the US, 19M people live in the NYC metro area, and many of those people live in places where they also have driveways and garages and underground garages, etc. A very small % of the car owning public parks their cars on the street when at home. You over-emphasize that because that's what you're surrounded by.

Your argument always is "that wont work in NYC" when in reality, whether it works in NYC or not doesnt matter, NYC is a drop in the bucket.

It wasnt me. Again, your experience in your specific place you live is immaterial. They will escalate and expedite charging permits as they do solar panels. I have several clients who have installed charging stations even in townhouse parking lots, its not a big deal. There are companies that specialize in doing so.
Its not just NYC, most densely populated cities are like this, and they are not a drop in the bucket. Plus you have long haulers, buses, and livery vehicles that drive around the clock, they can't be wasting hours plugged into a charger. Without a real break through in battery tech, or swappable batteries, I just don't see mass acceptance of EVs. Even people with perfect conditions - garage, solar panels, mild climate, moderate commute, only consider EVs as a secondary car, with a back up conventional car to use when the need arises.

Go to Waymo's website. Still very much self driving. The difference between the word "autonomous" and "self driving" isn't so broad.

The future is coming, it'll drag you along with it
This nonsense has already turned into a meme where "self driving doesn't literally mean self driving" pronounced in the most nasal voice possible. Regarding the future, you and I are about the same age, and it's not going to happen in our lifetimes, so we'll never find out.
Old 03-08-21 | 05:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jer
Watching a video on EV going from SF to LA. Looks like charging stations will need to be as common as current gas stations. They stopped to charge their EV and both the CCS (?) charging station and Tesla charging stations were down. It was a distance to the next stations, but they had enough battery to make it. I've seen other charging stations being offline on videos, but this would not be acceptable to the normal commuter, who today just goes across the street or down the block to fill up.
Its super rare for a Tesla charging station to be down. Most stations come with at least 8 bays. They are building a 52 bay center in Santa Monica soon so these stations are being planned. With that said, there will always be a need for more gas stations than charging stations as the vast majority of charging will be done at home. Charging stations are only needed for distance trips or the occasional top up.
Old 03-08-21 | 05:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Yes--we should NOT embrace EVs or sustainable energy because of ..... tripping hazards!!
Old 03-08-21 | 06:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yes--we should NOT embrace EVs or sustainable energy because of ..... tripping hazards!!
There are soooo many chargers in so-cal and i've yet to see 1 single charging cable lying on the floor. It is always plugged in after use because people don't want high voltage cables just lying around where people can trip over them. Also, most of the Teslas in my neighborhood are parked outside of their garage with a charging cable coming out from inside the garage. These are completely non-issues for EVs.
Old 03-08-21 | 06:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
First thing first, let's not confuse EVs with sustainable energy, most electricity still comes from burning fossil fuels. And don't be so quick to dismiss tripping hazards, look up some statistic on trip and fall lawsuits. It is a very serious liability.

Quick Reply: EV rationalization