Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC beige interior: anyone know why one mono color.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 08:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder if this is something that is sought after in the higher end cars in that segment
Good question. I never really noticed this but now that you've pointed it out the interior would benefit from some accenting. Even ancient Toyota interiors had contrast and back then everything was either beige or black.

Lexus LC beige interior: anyone know why one mono  color.-u0bojdr.jpg
Old 03-09-21, 08:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
which is odd. Usually the floors or rear seat shelf or front dash go black. I wonder if this is something that is sought after in the higher end cars in that segment

My 04 4Runner is monotone for most of the interior but it’s like 80%.
Comparing a 4Runner or any other normal (I had a 4Runner up till about 2 years ago) mass produced car to a limited production, uniquely designed specialty car like the LC is like comparing a pair of regular jeans to an Armani suit.
Old 03-09-21, 08:54 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 524 Likes on 373 Posts

Wish I could get pedal covers like those for my 2021 350 ES. Dealer says they’re not made by Lexus for my model and I’m hesitant to mess with aftermarket brands. Anyone have any suggestions ?
Old 03-09-21, 09:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Good question. I never really noticed this but now that you've pointed it out the interior would benefit from some accenting. Even ancient Toyota interiors had contrast and back then everything was either beige or black.

The only other interior that comes to mind is first gen beige tundra.
Old 03-09-21, 09:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

While I don't personally care for the beige color itself, I like how they kept it mostly one color. Because it's black, it's less shocking in my GS, but I like that the entire interior is just one color, including carpets and headliner.

I know it's unfair to compare an LC to a 1980s Camry, but I was thinking back how it used to be far more common that your dash, carpets, door panels and pillars, even rear view mirror housing and gear selector, were all done in the interior color. This seems to have been lost when they started making most dashes black, regardless of interior color.

Old 03-09-21, 10:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76

That is ultra monochromatic. BUT, I happen to know a fair bit about this exact car I bought one several years ago as a parts car because it had a manual transmission. The car turned out to be too nice to scrap so I put the auto trans from my car into it, and restored the interior. When 100% clean and detailed it looks amazing, yes it is all blue but a rich, warm blue that has to be seen in person to appreciate. Pictures do not do it justice. Quality of materials is also miles better than what Toyota is using now.

I have not seen a beige interior LC in person.
Old 03-09-21, 10:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That is ultra monochromatic. BUT, I happen to know a fair bit about this exact car I bought one several years ago as a parts car because it had a manual transmission. The car turned out to be too nice to scrap so I put the auto trans from my car into it, and restored the interior. When 100% clean and detailed it looks amazing, yes it is all blue but a rich, warm blue that has to be seen in person to appreciate. Pictures do not do it justice. Quality of materials is also miles better than what Toyota is using now.
That's' awesome! My folks had an '89 with the maroon interior.
Old 03-09-21, 10:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
While I don't personally care for the beige color itself, I like how they kept it mostly one color. Because it's black, it's less shocking in my GS, but I like that the entire interior is just one color, including carpets and headliner.

I know it's unfair to compare an LC to a 1980s Camry, but I was thinking back how it used to be far more common that your dash, carpets, door panels and pillars, even rear view mirror housing and gear selector, were all done in the interior color. This seems to have been lost when they started making most dashes black, regardless of interior color.

All black carpets is a newer development.

My 2000 TL and 2004 Pilot had tan carpets.

My 07 IS had a gray interior with black carpet; but if you had the tan interior, then the carpet was also tan. The next model year, Lexus switched to black carpets for the tan interior too. And with only black carpet, that also means only black floor mats. It's cheaper just to produce a single color carpet / seatbelt / steering wheel.

Old 03-09-21, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
All black carpets is a newer development.
I'm often a big one for accusing auto companies of cost-cutting and bean counting....because it is usually true LOL ......but all-black carpeting may be one of the exceptions. It may, in fact, be cheaper to produce, but one big reason we see it is because of customer-request, particularly those with young children that drop food and drink all over the inside of the vehicle. Light-color carpet can be quite difficult to keep clean, unless one covers it up with floor mats........and if you are going to cover up the carpet, what difference does the color make?
Old 03-09-21, 12:26 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 727 Likes on 455 Posts

It's caramel, not beige! And for me, the nicest interior color - but all of them are nice in the LC.

Here are the configurator pics for the caramel interior. I think they show it better.

Old 03-09-21, 12:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm often a big one for accusing auto companies of cost-cutting and bean counting....because it is usually true LOL ......but all-black carpeting may be one of the exceptions. It may, in fact, be cheaper to produce, but one big reason we see it is because of customer-request, particularly those with young children that drop food and drink all over the inside of the vehicle. Light-color carpet can be quite difficult to keep clean, unless one covers it up with floor mats........and if you are going to cover up the carpet, what difference does the color make?
I don't dislike the trend of black carpeting, but I'm not going to pretend the car companies did it because of "customer requests."

And in the cars I had with tan carpets, the floor mats were .... tan. Same issue--it's cheaper to make all the floor mats black than it is to produce 2-3 different color mats.
Old 03-09-21, 12:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
It's caramel, not beige! And for me, the nicest interior color - but all of them are nice in the LC.

Here are the configurator pics for the caramel interior. I think they show it better.

Thanks for the pics.

It is super rare these days for all of the colors to be the same....the only thing that is not caramel is the female part of the seat buckles.
Old 03-09-21, 02:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I personally love that caramel interior, if I got an LC I would choose that for sure
Old 03-09-21, 03:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I usually like earth toned interiors but that's a bit much for me.
Old 03-09-21, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't dislike the trend of black carpeting, but I'm not going to pretend the car companies did it because of "customer requests."
It's not a matter of pretending. Easily-soiled carpet has been a bane of many customers for years.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC beige interior: anyone know why one mono color.