Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Park outside: Kia recalls nearly 380K vehicles for fire risk

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-22 | 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats just Lexus being cheap and short sighted.
Lexus, IMO, started short-cutting most of their products about 15 years ago, but, of course, still kept the excellent reliability.

And the new Highlander is not on the same platform as the RX, the RX is still on the old architecture and the new Highlander is on TNGA.
The Highlander, until recently, was on the RX platform (both derived from the Camry)...but, yes, you're correct that the new Highlander shifted to the Harrier/Venza platform. I wasn't aware of that shift.
Old 02-12-22 | 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the Hyundai/Kia issues, I don't know whether this has already been posted or not (I didn't see it)...but here's another Hyundai issue. Accents are being recalled because or exploding safety-belt pre-tensioners.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/02/so...el-in-a-crash/

Some Hyundai Accent Seatbelt Pretensioners May Explode And Shoot Shrapnel In A Crash

BY SEBASTIEN BELL |

POSTED ONFEBRUARY 11, 2022 16Hyundai is recalling 354 2020-2021 Accents that were supplied with suspect seatbelt pretensioners that could explode in a crash and may shoot shrapnel into the cabin.

The pyrotechnic type pretensioners could deploy abnormally in an accident, according to documents released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Pretensioners work to pull the seatbelt back when the car is in an accident. That tugs the occupant back into the seat to better control their movement in the cabin during a sudden deceleration allowing the other safety systems, such as the airbags, to work as intended.

Read Also: Hyundai To Build New Safety Test And Investigation Laboratory In Michigan

Unfortunately, the cause of the problem remains unknown. Hyundai was first made aware of the issue in September 2021, following an accident in which a vehicle occupant’s leg was injured after the seatbelt pretensioner shot metal fragments into the cabin. So far, it is the only injury that Hyundai is aware of as a result of this defect.

The automaker continues to investigate the root cause of the defect but will replace seatbelt pretensioners in recalled vehicles free of charge. The units it removes from those vehicles will be examined for clues about the issue. Hyundai will replace both the driver and passenger side pretensioners and it expects to notify customers to bring their vehicles into dealerships by first class mail starting on February 25.

Old 02-12-22 | 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Highlander, until recently, was on the RX platform (both derived from the Camry)...but, yes, you're correct that the new Highlander shifted to the Harrier/Venza platform. I wasn't aware of that shift.
Its all TNGA, the next gen RX will be on the TNGA platform also
Old 02-14-22 | 08:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The Palisade and Telluride do indeed have a more roomy third row than the Highlander, but the Highlander's is not useless in any way. We often have adults in the third row and it's fine. I've ridden back there for about 2 hours, which is about the most I would want to do, but it's fine for around town. If I wanted a really comfortable third row for frequent use, I'd just get a minivan.

I really like the Telluride and would have considered one if they offered it in a hybrid, which was a requirement for my wife.
Old 02-14-22 | 08:55 AM
Lead Lap

Lexus, IMO, started short-cutting most of their products about 15 years ago, but, of course, still kept the excellent reliability.

Toyota K platform. Camry, Venza, RX etc are models and not platform per se.
Old 02-14-22 | 10:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

That's partly because, from public-pressure, some manufacturers have been forced to add third-row seats to vehicles that were never really designed for, or suitable for, third-row seas. A perfect example was when Lexus, a few years ago, turned the popular RX from a reasonably-roomy 2-row version into a three-row sardine-can, without lengthening the vehicle or its frame. And the Highlander, of course, comes from the same platform as the RX.
The days of car companies scrambling to retro-fit 3rd rows into 2-row crossovers in order to keep up with the Jones' is long gone. This was the case of the Highlander when I bought my 2004 Pilot. Lexus isn't forced to add a 3rd row to the RX for public pressure--they could have done that in the 3rd generation when they made the Highlander 3rd row standard. They just saw a niche they could fill, and they filled it. And the 3-row RX 350L is, in fact, longer that a 2-row RX.

Now it's the compact class where some makers are squeezing 3rd rows in - like the MB GLB.
Old 02-14-22 | 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
The Palisade and Telluride do indeed have a more roomy third row than the Highlander, but the Highlander's is not useless in any way. We often have adults in the third row and it's fine. I've ridden back there for about 2 hours, which is about the most I would want to do, but it's fine for around town. If I wanted a really comfortable third row for frequent use, I'd just get a minivan.
The point for me is to not have to get another minivan lol
Old 02-14-22 | 12:18 PM
1111GS

Originally Posted by JDR76
I knew you would chime in. Some of these comments are not even funny just pure... I don't like minivan but yeah, that'd be the right solution for that purpose. I had some small adults in GLS, Escalade for short drives (about an hour) and they would never want to be in there again.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
The point for me is to not have to get another minivan lol
Well if the purpose is to drive people around to show houses or for quick eat, then there are plenty options. Other than that I don't see any good non-van option here if you care for your passengers.
Old 02-14-22 | 12:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I knew you would chime in. Some of these comments are not even funny just pure... I don't like minivan but yeah, that'd be the right solution for that purpose. I had some small adults in GLS, Escalade for short drives (about an hour) and they would never want to be in there again.

Well if the purpose is to drive people around to show houses or for quick eat, then there are plenty options. Other than that I don't see any good non-van option here if you care for your passengers.
I have a minivan and if i can, I will rent one when i am out of town...kind of love them

If there is a minivan EV option, I would strongly consider one.
Old 02-14-22 | 12:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have a minivan and if i can, I will rent one when i am out of town...kind of love them

If there is a minivan EV option, I would strongly consider one.
Whenever we travel the kids get really excited if we can get a rental minivan. They love the sliding doors! It's the little things...
Old 02-14-22 | 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Just need to be able to drive extra kids around, or in some situations a couple of adults in addition to my kids. Usually we put the kids in the third row and the adults in the second row. Tons of these crossovers would work for that purpose, some better than others.
Old 02-14-22 | 07:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Thinking about this a little more, as long as the seats can all fold flat up to the 1st row it don't really care if it has 3 or 2. I just would want it to be able to have a mostly flat, squarish load cell so I can fit at least a 6x4x4 foot item in it.

Massive bonus points if a 8x4 sheet can fit and 2000lb total can be carried. I use my small suv (2000 WJ) as a utility truck so if I replace it I would get something that can at minimum carry the exact same stuff. Issue would be I would likely lose the off road aspect and I do use that often enough and hard enough it complicates replacing the car.

Hard to find something they can handle a 70-80% grade and climbing over 10 inch trees and also provide double or more fuel economy while maintaining ease of repair and cargo usefulness.
Old 02-26-22 | 05:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It really is astonishing Hyundai and KIA have so many problems. Now sued.

Hyundai, Kia sued in Calif. after recalling vehicles because of fire risk\

From my Toronto Sun newspaper this morning.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-26-22 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-26-22 | 05:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My friend had her engine replaced in her KIA. They didn't provide a new alternator or starter as the reused it. 3 weeks later those both went, I wonder if it is related to the new engine. Her car didn't warn her that she was no low on oil or something like that.
Old 02-26-22 | 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My friend had her engine replaced in her KIA. They didn't provide a new alternator or starter as the reused it. 3 weeks later those both went, I wonder if it is related to the new engine. Her car didn't warn her that she was no low on oil or something like that.

Most of the fires with Hyundai/Kia products are not related to the engines themselves, but to electronic circuit-boards in the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: Park outside: Kia recalls nearly 380K vehicles for fire risk