Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Park outside: Kia recalls nearly 380K vehicles for fire risk

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 04:59 AM
pbjyum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Just from a cursory search:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/toyota-...-cause-a-fire/
https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/05/to...ver-fire-risk/
https://www.autonews.com/article/201...s-on-fire-risk
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...tch-fire-risk/

All of these recalls took place in the past 6 years, 3 in the past 3 years. I'm sure there's more if I wanted to take the time to search for them, but ultimately none of it really matters since none of it has impacted Toyota's reliability rankings. Which is something I wish more people would understand about recalls.
Having to recall a car because the manufacturer failed in the manufacturing process is bad either way. I think recalls should absolutely be a part of the reliability rankings. And before purchasing a car, I always look at past recalls and the manufacturers history of recalls prior to purchase. Most people don't care about reliability either just look at sales data from largest manufacturers (some with a history of poor "reliability")...most modern cars today are reliable fyi.
Old 03-11-21, 05:07 AM
pbjyum
Driver School Candidate

According to that chart I posted, you have a lesser chance of having a recall for something that could kill you in a Land Rover than a Toyota. Are you going to follow that chart and buy a Land Rover over a Toyota because it has less severe recalls, or actually understand the underlying meaning of a recall?
I wouldn't buy a Land Rover for other reasons but if push came to shove...I may. I'm driving 70mph on a highway at any given time so I would like to have a solidly built vehicle that won't catch fire, or steering wheel come loose while driving, or airbags that could kill me if deployed (Japanese corporation btw).
Old 03-11-21, 05:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't recall (no pun) ever hearing Honda or Toyota tell their owners to not park in a garage because of a fire risk...the idea that a parked KIA could burn down a town house complex is worrisome.
Honda:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...indow/2474023/
Old 03-11-21, 05:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And how did this then into a Toyota thing? The thread is about KIA and terrifying ability for a KIA to possibly burn down a house.
YOU literally brought Toyota into this discussion:
I don't recall (no pun) ever hearing Honda or Toyota tell their owners to not park in a garage because of a fire risk...the idea that a parked KIA could burn down a town house complex is worrisome.
Old 03-11-21, 05:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
YOU literally brought Toyota into this discussion:
Post #15 mentioned Toyota.
Old 03-11-21, 05:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbjyum
I wouldn't buy a Land Rover for other reasons but if push came to shove...I may. I'm driving 70mph on a highway at any given time so I would like to have a solidly built vehicle that won't catch fire, or steering wheel come loose while driving, or airbags that could kill me if deployed (Japanese corporation btw).
All fair...but the KIA can light itself on fire while parked...thus the warning to not park in a garage.
Old 03-11-21, 07:23 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shoddy Korean engineering. You get what you paid for.
Old 03-11-21, 07:33 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Shoddy Korean engineering. You get what you paid for.
Koreans are fine engineers. They’re as bright and sharp as anyone else on the planet, really top class. I blame cost cutters and project managers for this.
Old 03-11-21, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Another CL opportunity to crap on Hyundai from the usual suspects lol

This kind of thing is more common than you think. Remember the Mini fires? I have a friend who's Mini caught fire in his garage and burned his house down. Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids also have cases of spontaneous fires, and you see this in all manner of vehicles.

Toyota is certainly not immune. What I find concerning about the way Toyota handles these types of situations is they have a propensity to try and keep them quiet, in fact they were found culpable having done that before. As a carbuyer, I want a carmaker to value my safety more than their own reputation and issue that recall or warning even if they dont yet have a solution.

Old 03-11-21, 09:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Another CL opportunity to crap on Hyundai from the usual suspects lol

This kind of thing is more common than you think. Remember the Mini fires? I have a friend who's Mini caught fire in his garage and burned his house down. Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids also have cases of spontaneous fires, and you see this in all manner of vehicles.

Toyota is certainly not immune. What I find concerning about the way Toyota handles these types of situations is they have a propensity to try and keep them quiet, in fact they were found culpable having done that before. As a carbuyer, I want a carmaker to value my safety more than their own reputation and issue that recall or warning even if they dont yet have a solution.
Toyota is very good at get ahead of the recall. Toyota does a lot of voluntary recalls. Hyundai not so.
Old 03-11-21, 09:39 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Having to recall a car because the manufacturer failed in the manufacturing process is bad either way. I think recalls should absolutely be a part of the reliability rankings. And before purchasing a car, I always look at past recalls and the manufacturers history of recalls prior to purchase. Most people don't care about reliability either just look at sales data from largest manufacturers (some with a history of poor "reliability")...most modern cars today are reliable fyi.
It's only bad if it affects a significant amount of people. Every vehicle has underlying risks as part of the engineering or manufacturing process, and what one company deems a flaw may be something that another (usually American) deems unimportant because it has minimum chance of happening and isn't worth the cost to fix. And judging from the low reliability rankings of various Euro and American brands, perhaps it is in their best interest to issue more recalls before problems pop up en masse with their cars down the road that lead to them getting pummeled in reliability rankings year after year.

All of those are just as likely to happen on a Land Rover, the difference is that's part of the ownership experience and won't be recalled lol. It's anecdotal, but go watch the TFL videos on the Land Rover Defender they recently bought to see how catastrophic it can get.

Last edited by Motorola; 03-11-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-11-21, 09:52 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Toyota is very good at get ahead of the recall. Toyota does a lot of voluntary recalls. Hyundai not so.
Weren't you boasting the fact that Toyota hasn't yet issued a recall for RAV4's spontaneously catching on fire despite being investigated by the NHTSA a few posts back?
Old 03-11-21, 10:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Weren't you boasting the fact that Toyota hasn't yet issued a recall for RAV4's spontaneously catching on fire despite being investigated by the NHTSA a few posts back?
Never....I just haven’t seen a public service announcement stating that is dangerous to park a Toyota inside a garage.

i think nothing will come out of the RAV4 fire investigation. It’s fact that Toyota has been pretty good at voluntary recalls.
Old 03-11-21, 10:25 AM
pbjyum
Driver School Candidate

It's only bad if it affects a significant amount of people. Every vehicle has underlying risks as part of the engineering or manufacturing process, and what one company deems a flaw may be something that another (usually American) deems unimportant because it has minimum chance of happening and isn't worth the cost to fix. And judging from the low reliability rankings of various Euro and American brands, perhaps it is in their best interest to issue more recalls before problems pop up en masse with their cars down the road that lead to them getting pummeled in reliability rankings year after year.
Why is it in their best interest? Reliability clearly has no affect on vehicle sales from the major brands... As was posted earlier, the American and Euro brands have fewer recalls as well. You can say oh well those brands don't recall because of cost or don't care about safety as much as Japanese brands...show me evidence of this, I'll wait. I will always look at safest vehicles over those reliability rankings any day of the week. At the end of the day, doesn't matter if the car can go 300k miles if you are dead by 100k miles or suffer a catastrophic injury because of an accident.

Where is our precious TOYOTA in this list? https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/safest-car-brands
Old 03-11-21, 10:34 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Why is it in their best interest? Reliability clearly has no affect on vehicle sales from the major brands... As was posted earlier, the American and Euro brands have fewer recalls as well. You can say oh well those brands don't recall because of cost or don't care about safety as much as Japanese brands...show me evidence of this, I'll wait. I will always look at safest vehicles over those reliability rankings any day of the week. At the end of the day, doesn't matter if the car can go 300k miles if you are dead by 100k miles or suffer a catastrophic injury because of an accident.

Where is our precious TOYOTA in this list? https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/safest-car-brands
Considering that's the #1 selling point of Toyota/Lexus, the no. 1 car company in the world based on sales volume, I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

Quick Reply: Park outside: Kia recalls nearly 380K vehicles for fire risk