Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insane Mirai incentives right now

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 01:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure there are. One of them is the problem of getting hydrogen-refills for them outside of California.
Was originally thinking about California, which I should have mentioned. Was under the impression the infrastructure was somewhat established here already. Also, as far as I recall, the past Mirai did not have such a wild incentive. So something is still not making sense.
Old 03-11-21, 01:20 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
Based on what I've seen on lease return Mirais from 2017, you're paying less than a used Corolla or Camry. The Toyota resale value doesn't seem to apply?
https://www.longotoyota.com/searchus...ta&Model=Mirai

Also, I've heard of shortage of fuel at stations around the Bay Area for weeks at a time. I'd make sure you have a petrol beater just in case.

If you bought one for 18K new, the XLE model, and had 15K in free hydrogen, and drive it around for 3 years, you might even be able to come out positive on the car? Someone would buy this car for at least 8K...even for parts.
Old 03-11-21, 02:06 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
If you bought one for 18K new, the XLE model, and had 15K in free hydrogen, and drive it around for 3 years, you might even be able to come out positive on the car? Someone would buy this car for at least 8K...even for parts.
I feel like this was more of a move to push the fully loaded Limited models, which tops out at $70K. At that price, it's in direct competition with Tesla's Model S, especially in California.
Old 03-11-21, 05:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
I feel like this was more of a move to push the fully loaded Limited models, which tops out at $70K. At that price, it's in direct competition with Tesla's Model S, especially in California.
I was thinking the same at first. However, here in CA the full incentive also applies to the XLE.
Old 03-13-21, 11:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Sooooo..... Are they making any money on this car?
No.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I've not followed the new Mirai story too closely, but several things do not add up here. This is the biggest discount I've seen on a brand new model that has only been for sale for a short time. It has simply never happened before, even with the previous doggy model. There has to be other factors here that are not being revealed or discussed.
The 'other factors' are they can't give this car away. why would anyone want a slow car with very little room in it that you can't fuel hardly anywhere? Apart from that it's great. But i guess toyota's desperate to get them in some people's hands/driveways so they (toyota) can get feedback on them.

The car only makes sense for the few that live right around a (reliable) hydrogen fueling station and want bragging rights for something 'different'. So clearly there's almost no market for it, and besides all that, this car has NO advantage over any other vehicle except i guess it's almost free.
Old 03-13-21, 11:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No.
Most of the car is re-used Lexus/Toyota Batteries, EV motors etc all come from LS500/RX450h. TNGA platform is all cost shared.
Old 03-13-21, 04:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

No.

Lmao!! Well while they are at this whole not making money thing, they can go right ahead and give us an LC F and not make money on that too. The audacity to give us this nonsense, then sell it for pretty much half off. Lol.
Old 03-13-21, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

why would anyone want a slow car with very little room in it that you can't fuel hardly anywhere? Apart from that it's great.
Except for the obvious difference in available refueling-facilities, that's pretty much what a lot of people were saying about the Prius twenty years ago. Although it was obviously more car than the two-seat/three-cylinder Honda Insight (which only had a 350-lb. payload) the Prius certainly wasn't cavernous inside.

The car only makes sense for the few that live right around a (reliable) hydrogen fueling station and want bragging rights for something 'different'. So clearly there's almost no market for it, and besides all that, this car has NO advantage over any other vehicle except i guess it's almost free.
Agreed that it makes the most sense for those near hydrogen-stations, but I wouldn't call it a matter of bragging-rights. First, if one is going to brag, a vehicle, IMO, is not something to brag about.....it could be stolen, wrecked, or taken out in a storm as we speak, in other words, here today, gone tomorrow. Second, even if one was to brag about a vehicle, why do so over one with heavy-incentives that is easy to get?...that part doesn't make much sense to me, either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-21 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-13-21, 10:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

No.

The 'other factors' are they can't give this car away. why would anyone want a slow car with very little room in it that you can't fuel hardly anywhere? Apart from that it's great. But i guess toyota's desperate to get them in some people's hands/driveways so they (toyota) can get feedback on them.

Again, that does not address the fact that Toyota did not have to dump the previous Mirai model this badly in California (where there is some fueling infrastructure). And that old model looked 100 times uglier than the new one. According to all reviews, this new one is considered to be one of the best looking Toyotas in recent times. I know styling has little to do with a car in this caliber, but things still don't add up if you compare pricing and incentives to the previous dog that had been out for five or so years already.
Old 03-29-21, 07:43 PM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.

I bought one and it's not slow.

Almost free for a car this nice is a damn good advantage.
Old 03-29-21, 07:45 PM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Again, that does not address the fact that Toyota did not have to dump the previous Mirai model this badly in California (where there is some fueling infrastructure). And that old model looked 100 times uglier than the new one. According to all reviews, this new one is considered to be one of the best looking Toyotas in recent times. I know styling has little to do with a car in this caliber, but things still don't add up if you compare pricing and incentives to the previous dog that had been out for five or so years already.
My guess is that Toyota is very proud of the car (even people at Toyota know the 1st gen is ugly) and realized that the only why to get more hydrogen stations built is to get cars using it on the road.
Old 03-29-21, 07:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalMirai
I bought one and it's not slow.

Almost free for a car this nice is a damn good advantage.
Congratulations. Can’t wait to,hear more of your impressions. Has a lovely interior.
Old 03-29-21, 07:51 PM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
I plan to squeeze 6 years out of the $15k fuel card and use it for my business. My math has the car coming out free to drive for 6 years (probably about 50k miles) and my only cost is insurance went up about $80 a month (also tax deduction).
Old 03-29-21, 07:55 PM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Congratulations. Can’t wait to,hear more of your impressions. Has a lovely interior.
IMO it's a Lexus with a Toyota badge. Not a sports car but it's fairly quick and as much as you need for L.A. traffic. I love driving it because it's so quiet and smooth. Haven't driven the LS 500 but expect a similar ride quality.

My biggest negative is that for such a long car it has small rear seats. It's basically a 3 seater since there's no room for anyone behind me with the seat pushed back. Not a big deal since it's mainly me in the car since I use it for work.
Old 03-29-21, 07:59 PM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
Except you have to pressurize hydrogen to 10,000 psi. It takes an exceptional amount of energy to do that...about ~2-3x more energy than filling up an equivalent BEV. The grid will need approximately 30% more electricity to supply BEV on a national scale or 60-90% more for hydrogen.
The future of hydrogen is as ammonia that is converted on-site at fuel stations. Ammonia can be produced very cheaply and there is a nationwide network of pipelines. All that is needed is to pipe it to stations and then convert it (preferably with solar) to hydrogen.

Quick Reply: Insane Mirai incentives right now