Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insane Mirai incentives right now

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 08:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalMirai
The future of hydrogen is as ammonia that is converted on-site at fuel stations. Ammonia can be produced very cheaply and there is a nationwide network of pipelines. All that is needed is to pipe it to stations and then convert it (preferably with solar) to hydrogen.
I hope for any future where we don't burn fossil fuels. We will eventually have a use for Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles although it may take a long time. I know you say its not slow but until it gets near the 500+ hp figures, BEV is better for my use case. I'm happy you like the car and for the cost to operate, it seems like a great deal for you.
Old 03-29-21, 10:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

I bought one and it's not slow.
toyota says 9.2s 0-60 which is really slow by today's standards. But perhaps the very smooth linear power delivery makes it not 'feel' slow.

Haven't driven the LS 500 but expect a similar ride quality.
i doubt it, does it have an adaptive suspension?

My biggest negative is that for such a long car it has small rear seats. It's basically a 3 seater since there's no room for anyone behind me with the seat pushed back. Not a big deal since it's mainly me in the car since I use it for work.
Sounds like a good setup for you (you don't care about speed or rear seat room and it will cost next to nothing).

Congrats!
Old 03-29-21, 11:05 PM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I hope for any future where we don't burn fossil fuels. We will eventually have a use for Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles although it may take a long time. I know you say its not slow but until it gets near the 500+ hp figures, BEV is better for my use case. I'm happy you like the car and for the cost to operate, it seems like a great deal for you.
I don't know how the drivers are where you live, but most of the high hp cars, including Tesla, in L.A. barely go the speed limit. I pass them constantly even though they have much more powerful cars.
Old 03-29-21, 11:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't know how the drivers are where you live, but most of the high hp cars, including Tesla, in L.A. barely go the speed limit. I pass them constantly even though they have much more powerful cars.
Where I live, many high hp cars go pretty fast. The Teslas dominate the road these days and just run away from everybody. I fly away at every street light if I'm in front just for fun. 0-60 in 3s is a complete blast
Old 03-30-21, 05:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

In my area I see Tesla's all the time. The drive around like every other car.. They look very ordinary.
Old 03-30-21, 07:18 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

You speed in a slow car and people with fast cars drive slow. Hmmm.
Old 03-30-21, 08:30 AM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You speed in a slow car and people with fast cars drive slow. Hmmm.
L.A. is strange.
Old 03-30-21, 08:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

IMO it's a Lexus with a Toyota badge. Not a sports car but it's fairly quick and as much as you need for L.A. traffic. I love driving it because it's so quiet and smooth. Haven't driven the LS 500 but expect a similar ride quality.

My biggest negative is that for such a long car it has small rear seats. It's basically a 3 seater since there's no room for anyone behind me with the seat pushed back. Not a big deal since it's mainly me in the car since I use it for work.
I’d say it’s a Lexus-like for sure. But there other Toyota’s that have that Lexus thing...the back seat thing seems to be a norm these days as Japanese cars seem to have gotten ever so smaller. We were looking to update my Matrix with the new hatch Corolla and the interior is just ever so more snug. The new Mirai also has an 50/50 weight distribution so I am sure that has some influence into the size of the car.

Anyway. So happy for you.

What trim level did you get?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-30-21 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-30-21, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

ok let's keep this thread to the mirai, not teslas.
Old 03-30-21, 11:04 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Part of why I’m sore about the Mirai is that it’s California only, so everyone in the 49 states that don’t count are on the outside looking in. I wish that awesome deal was available everywhere.
Old 03-30-21, 11:49 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm curious to see how this plays out. I've been wanting a hydrogen powered car for years. I even looked into converting my Chevy Avalanche to run on hydrogen, until I realized how expensive the fuel containers were to maintain. (you had to replace them regularly)
Old 03-30-21, 07:37 PM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I’d say it’s a Lexus-like for sure. But there other Toyota’s that have that Lexus thing...the back seat thing seems to be a norm these days as Japanese cars seem to have gotten ever so smaller. We were looking to update my Matrix with the new hatch Corolla and the interior is just ever so more snug. The new Mirai also has an 50/50 weight distribution so I am sure that has some influence into the size of the car.

Anyway. So happy for you.

What trim level did you get?
XLE.

I don't think anyone bought the Limited since it's $17k more for not many more features.
Old 03-30-21, 07:38 PM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

This is what drew me here. Every another thread gets bombarded with Tesla shills.
Old 03-30-21, 07:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

XLE.

I don't think anyone bought the Limited since it's $17k more for not many more features.
They're only available for lease, correct, or did you buy yours?
Old 03-30-21, 08:52 PM
MetalMirai
Driver School Candidate

They're only available for lease, correct, or did you buy yours?
I bought it. They can be leased, but Toyota is giving $20k off with 0% interest for 6 years if you buy one. You also get $12,500 back between the CA rebate and federal tax credit.

Quick Reply: Insane Mirai incentives right now