Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying from vroom - buyer beware

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 08:51 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Buying from vroom - buyer beware

Popular youtube channel TFL Cars attempted to purchase an i8 from vroom recently and it turned into a nightmare situation - lost check, no communication, no car, etc etc..., which unfortunately mirrors a lot of previous negative reviews about the company. Buyer beware if you are looking to buy from this company.

Old 03-18-21, 09:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Sounds like a nightmare. I recently got an estimate from Vroom on our X3 which was pretty good compared to Carvana and Car Max. I wonder what their record is on purchases vs. sales? I'll definitely look at more reviews.
Old 03-18-21, 10:01 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 673 Likes on 420 Posts

I can only speak as a seller, but my own experience with Vroom was positive. Sold a truck to Vroom, got a very good offer, more than I was expecting, and the transaction/pickup process was very easy.
Old 03-18-21, 10:12 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Watching the video, it appears this issue primarily arose because they chose/were advised to send a cashier's check rather than simply wire the money. Obviously we'd all be just as frustrated, but Vroom really isn't entirely at fault here. Their bank was the bigger issue IMO. For the delayed check return problem, Fedex is delaying deliveries for everyone at the minute and still recovering from the recent weather shutdowns.
Old 03-18-21, 11:19 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Watching the video, it appears this issue primarily arose because they chose/were advised to send a cashier's check rather than simply wire the money. Obviously we'd all be just as frustrated, but Vroom really isn't entirely at fault here. Their bank was the bigger issue IMO. For the delayed check return problem, Fedex is delaying deliveries for everyone at the minute and still recovering from the recent weather shutdowns.
lol, Vroom is 100% at fault here. How is it the bank's fault that vroom misplaced a $63,000 cashier's check? If they can lose a check they can sure mess up a wire administratively as well.
Old 03-18-21, 11:36 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gengar
lol, Vroom is 100% at fault here. How is it the bank's fault that vroom misplaced a $63,000 cashier's check? If they can lose a check they can sure mess up a wire administratively as well.
Don't agree with that. It was poor advice to pay via a cashier's check when a wire is faster and more secure.
Old 03-18-21, 12:04 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Don't agree with that. It was poor advice to pay via a cashier's check when a wire is faster and more secure.
No, the reason it was poor advice to pay via cashier's check is that Vroom is apparently incompetent.
Old 03-18-21, 12:30 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Sounds like a nightmare. I recently got an estimate from Vroom on our X3 which was pretty good compared to Carvana and Car Max. I wonder what their record is on purchases vs. sales? I'll definitely look at more reviews.
I don't understand where they get their values from. I just sold my 2013 ES to Carvana for $22k. Vroom offered me $16.5k, which I thought was probably the correct valuation. I never would have sold it for that, but at $22k, it seemed stupid not to, since I wasn't driving it. I could have sold it to them last summer for more, but I balked. I will be sure not to buy its replacement from Vroom!
Old 03-18-21, 01:31 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I don't understand where they get their values from. I just sold my 2013 ES to Carvana for $22k. Vroom offered me $16.5k, which I thought was probably the correct valuation. I never would have sold it for that, but at $22k, it seemed stupid not to, since I wasn't driving it. I could have sold it to them last summer for more, but I balked. I will be sure not to buy its replacement from Vroom!
That much variation in values is simply amazing!
Old 03-18-21, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

As already mentioned, that is a big spread in values. Two weeks ago when I got the offers on my X3, Carvana was $1,100 higher than Vroom but those numbers could have changed by now.

When you sold your ES did they give you the check when they picked up the car or do they send it to you?
Old 03-18-21, 02:46 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When you sold your ES did they give you the check when they picked up the car or do they send it to you?
I opted for direct deposit, but there was the option to hand you a check.
Old 03-18-21, 03:40 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I just sold my 2013 ES to Carvana for $22k.
That’s gobsmacking. Wow, you did very well, and congratulations
Old 03-18-21, 03:54 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wiring is only more secure if you are 100% sure of the wiring instructions, Phishing attempts, misprinted instructions, etc can cause huge problems - literally sending your money into the unknown without any options to get it back. There are so many awful stories of home buyers losing their down payments due to phished/incorrect wiring instructions. At-least with a cashiers check, if it's lost, it can't exactly be cashed/deposited by anyone... and the bank has option to get you your money back.
Old 03-18-21, 05:24 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

there were some extraneous circumstances like the storms in TX that worsened the situation, so it might be just a one time event. it's still highly unfortunate but everyone is more aware as a result including myself. thanks for sharing!

which method should the person in the video have used instead of a cashier's check? i thought it was the right move for such a big amount. maybe he should move banks or credit union for giving him such an issue with the loss of the check.
Old 03-18-21, 05:29 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
there were some extraneous circumstances like the storms in TX that worsened the situation, so it might be just a one time event. it's still highly unfortunate but everyone is more aware as a result including myself. thanks for sharing!
Sure, but the extraneous circumstances only came into play because vroom lost the check. The notion of a business losing a $63k cashier's check is just mind-boggling. That's why I said earlier that if they're so incompetent they could lose track of a check for several days, they could definitely screw up a wire administratively anyway. That's why I don't at all blame the guy for wanting nothing to do with vroom after that.

Quick Reply: Buying from vroom - buyer beware