Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW confirms not scrapping ICEs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21 | 11:36 AM
situman
Pole Position

Did any of the car manufacturers ask their customers what they want?
Old 03-19-21 | 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman

We know that there are a lot of customers (and potential customers) who don't want to be forced into a BEV against their will. It doesn't take a degree in the statistical sciences to figure that out.
Old 03-19-21 | 11:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
Nobody cares - too much $$$ to be made for governments and certain companies. General public is just along for the ride and will ultimately pay the great cost for this new EV renaissance.
Old 03-19-21 | 01:09 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We know that there are a lot of customers (and potential customers) who don't want to be forced into a BEV against their will. It doesn't take a degree in the statistical sciences to figure that out.
The government cannot force you or anyone into a BEV. I don't get why anyone would make a comment like that despite anything the govt is doing to make that a "reality".

Give me an example of anything that is as dramatic and on such a wide spread scale as this (forcing all ICE manufacturers to go all electric) in the past that the govt or other organization/company that forced you/general public to buy a product you don't want.

Keep in mind the thousands (literally) of factories that will need to be significantly retooled, millions of employees re-trained, more than half of the vendors in the supply chain impacted etc that would be impacted by this "mandatory BEV adoption".

Last edited by Hameed; 03-19-21 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-19-21 | 01:57 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed
The government cannot force you or anyone into a BEV. I don't get why anyone would make a comment like that despite anything the govt is doing to make that a "reality".

Give me an example of anything that is as dramatic and on such a wide spread scale as this (forcing all ICE manufacturers to go all electric) in the past that the govt or other organization/company that forced you/general public to buy a product you don't want.

Keep in mind the thousands (literally) of factories that will need to be significantly retooled, millions of employees re-trained, more than half of the vendors in the supply chain impacted etc that would be impacted by this "mandatory BEV adoption".
Governments in EU have put in place new emissions standards that can’t be achieved by ICE and only by EV therefore sparking death of ICE.

In addition, some cities have placed bans on ICE vehicles driving into cities etc.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...rd-157743.html

Internal combustion’s days are numbered in Europe, and there’s no escaping it. In addition to bans on the sale of new fossil-fuel cars, legislators in Brussels are putting the finishing touches on the EU-7 emissions standard. Described as a de facto ban on internal combustion engines by a trade association, the current draft of the regulation requires a decrease of 60 to 90 percent.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-19-21 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-19-21 | 02:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

In addition - Governments are significantly subsidizing EV sales and production/development with government incentives, tax credits etc.

This is already not a free market and eventually the consumer will not have the choice of ICE cars or get any incentives from the government. Ultimately the heavy financial burden of this transition will be paid by the average Joe and Jane.
Old 03-19-21 | 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Well, RNM GS3, just above, has covered part of it. California has been trying to do what the EU is doing for years...but has not completely succeeded. And, over and above that, if bans on new ICEs are made to stick, it will, no doubt, be a huge increase in the used-vehicle market for ICEs.
Old 03-19-21 | 04:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Some of you will be shocked to learn oil companies get billions in subsides per year, about $20 billion/year in the United States.
Old 03-19-21 | 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Some of you will be shocked to learn oil companies get billions in subsides per year, about $20 billion/year in the United States.
What large industry doesn't?
Old 03-19-21 | 11:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Wasn't "Big Oil" the ones that lobbied to get the plugs pulled on EV's 15 years ago ?

Clearly they slowly lost the battle.. But it will be extremely difficult to eliminate ICE cars in the near future.

Joe Z

Old 03-20-21 | 09:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you think "Big Oil" loves hydrogen so much. It's created and distributed the same way as gasoline via the oil companies.
What large industry doesn't?
That's the point. People whine about Tesla and others getting incentives.
Old 03-20-21 | 03:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Ain’t this the truth.

MM, I’ve been asking family and family friends roughly your age, or in your generation, how they feel. Not one wants an electric car. So we know it’s not just car enthusiasts like you.

My father who is 72 drives all over the place, miles out the wazoo and scooped up an Impala V6 that he got a killer deal on. He just saw it sitting there, noticed the “V6” badge, and bought it. We’ve talked about what a gem the GM 3.6 V6 is. His Impala is quite nice to drive, and FAST.
Old 03-20-21 | 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Ain’t this the truth.

MM, I’ve been asking family and family friends roughly your age, or in your generation, how they feel. Not one wants an electric car. So we know it’s not just car enthusiasts like you.
It's also not necessarily just a matter of the EV itself, but the fact that if one doesn't live in a single-family-home and/or have a garage, there could (?) be problems or hassles recharging.

My father who is 72 drives all over the place, miles out the wazoo and scooped up an Impala V6 that he got a killer deal on. He just saw it sitting there, noticed the “V6” badge, and bought it. We’ve talked about what a gem the GM 3.6 V6 is. His Impala is quite nice to drive, and FAST.
Congratulations to your dad.......best of luck with it.

Yes, I loved the 3.6L in my Lacrosse (same engine as in the Impala). That car just got to be too large, bulky, difficult to park, and low-slung for my needs. And the 9-speed automatic in it developed a couple of quirks with time.
Old 03-21-21 | 08:25 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I just wish it didn’t have to be one or the other.

Let the free market decide and evolve. Whenever you force things to change, there are always unintended consequences with general public suffering the worst.

I’m all for more EVs and feel Tesla has achieved tremendous things. What’s wrong with having EVs and V8/V12 etc just like we have sedans and SUVs?!
Old 03-21-21 | 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I just wish it didn’t have to be one or the other.

Let the free market decide and evolve. Whenever you force things to change, there are always unintended consequences with general public suffering the worst.
If someone doesn't force it...the transition will never get off the ground.

Quick Reply: BMW confirms not scrapping ICEs...