Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 GMC Terrain

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 12:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2022 GMC Terrain

Back in January of last year, the refreshed GMC Terrain that was supposed to go on sale sometime last fall as a 2021 model. But that was January 2020, a few months before the world shut down. So the Terrain ended up delayed, just like the Chevy Equinox, and now GMC is re-introducing us to the refreshed crossover, which is slated as the 2022 GMC Terrain.

All Terrain's get larger grilles, larger headlights and new C-shaped taillights, and all trims get full LED exterior lighting. Both the AT4 and Denail get unique grille designs, with the former getting a gunmetal grey design with thick slats, and the latter getting an all-chrome one with more delicate lattice-work between the slats. The AT4 also boasts a front skid plate for protection. The Elevation trim returns, too, as a black-out appearance package for the more entry-level SLE and SLT trims.

The interior is mostly unchanged except for a revised shifter panel -- the buttons are new, but the same controversial design remains. There are new features available, though. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are still standard, but now they're wireless. A head-up display is available as an option for SLT and AT4, while it comes standard on the Denali. The Denali also gets an 8-inch screen in the instrument panel.

Only the turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder and nine-speed automatic have been announced for the Terrain. It makes the same 170 horsepower and 203 pound-feet of torque as before and can be paired with either front- or all-wheel drive.

The SLE, SLT and AT4 models will go on sale this summer. The Denali will follow in the fall. Pricing and additional details should be revealed in the coming months.
Source
Old 03-23-21, 12:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of GM designs, but I do like this one. Unfortunately the interior and puny engine don't do it for me
Old 03-23-21, 01:35 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm not a huge fan of GM designs, but I do like this one. Unfortunately the interior and puny engine don't do it for me
that is quite a lot of grille and ride height for such a modest engine
Old 03-23-21, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Unfortunately the interior and puny engine don't do it for me
Originally Posted by sdls
that is quite a lot of grille and ride height for such a modest engine
^^^^ Don't sell those "modest" engines short. I used to think that way myself...up to a couple of months ago, when I started driving my Encore GX every day. With the turbo and the sound-deadening that GM uses, particularly in Buicks, the level of refinement can be surprising. Small turbo engines also tend to produce max-torque at low RPMs for response off the line. (my Encore GX, for example, has max-torque at 1600 RPM).

I agree with Hoovey, though, on one thing about the new Terrain's interior....they blew it by using that same awful shift-panel, in more or less the same place, as on recent Acadias.
Old 03-23-21, 11:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Smart and handsome styling on the outside. Ho-hum interior. This is the same trade-off my 1997 GMC Jimmy had. Funny how things have not changed all this time.

I'd be very concerned about the weight of the vehicle vs. the power output. Doesn't sound like enough muscle.

Old 03-24-21, 06:28 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like this Terrain! Looks ok and has good mix of comfort and usability.
Old 03-24-21, 10:01 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
^^^^ Don't sell those "modest" engines short. I used to think that way myself...up to a couple of months ago, when I started driving my Encore GX every day. With the turbo and the sound-deadening that GM uses, particularly in Buicks, the level of refinement can be surprising. Small turbo engines also tend to produce max-torque at low RPMs for response off the line. (my Encore GX, for example, has max-torque at 1600 RPM).

I agree with Hoovey, though, on one thing about the new Terrain's interior....they blew it by using that same awful shift-panel, in more or less the same place, as on recent Acadias.
The shift buttons are not new on this refreshed Terrain. They've been there since this generation launched for the 2018 model year.
Old 03-24-21, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
The shift buttons are not new on this refreshed Terrain. They've been there since this generation launched for the 2018 model year.
Yes, that's correct. I did not remember the earlier Terrain having them....but, yes, they are there. The first I remember seeing them was in the new Acadia interior a couple years ago. Either way, they're awful. For buttons, IMO Lincoln did a much better job.
Old 03-24-21, 05:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Seems like a disappointment for the I4 in the GMC. RAV4 makes 204HP. I think I would expect more from GM
Old 03-24-21, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Seems like a disappointment for the I4 in the GMC. RAV4 makes 204HP. I think I would expect more from GM
Remember our earlier discussions, Jill? For most driving, under most American conditions, torque is a more important figure than HP. Turbo engines usually produce more torque than HP.......N/A engines, often the reverse.