Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW may rebrand its US arm as 'Voltswagen'

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 08:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Success is relative. A company does not have to be #1 in sales to be successful. There are several carmakers who sell far fewer cars than the huge players in the US and consider themselves successful. VW is a huge brand, the largest automaker in the world, they don't have to be #1 in the US.

Look up sales figures. They sell 80,000 Atlases a year. 2020 was its best sales year ever. About the same as the Hyundai Palisade and its a "runaway success".
Sales #s are relative but not success.
You can be low sales and high margin = success
High sales, low margin = success

What VW has is LOW sales and Negative margins = NO Success 😀

Difference is Palisades are selling for sticker while Atlas has huge incentives, cheap leases and 0% financing.

You still can’t admit that that VW America is dumpster fire even when facts are presented in Bold.
Again This is a company fined $25 BILLION and still losing money to lawsuits. Their reputation is damaged and is opposite of EV.

https://www.vw.com/en/special-offers...&zip-app=11235

$0 Down / $0 Security Deposit / $0 1st Month's Lease Payment / $0 Due at Signing* OR 0% APR* for 72 months.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-02-21 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Exactly, they're not going anywhere.
Yeah no kidding. People have to look at VW as the entire group and not just one brand. The VW brand and line up is not as strong as it was previously as there has always been price premium to a VW compared to a Hyundai, Chevy and even a Toyota. VW also has too many regional models such as the NA Jetta and the NA Passat, these sedans are weighing them down..... I could see VW turn into a GM or Ford where they kill off their sedans for NA
Old 04-02-21, 11:15 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yeah no kidding. People have to look at VW as the entire group and not just one brand. The VW brand and line up is not as strong as it was previously as there has always been price premium to a VW compared to a Hyundai, Chevy and even a Toyota. VW also has too many regional models such as the NA Jetta and the NA Passat, these sedans are weighing them down..... I could see VW turn into a GM or Ford where they kill off their sedans for NA
I specifically stated VW brand in US not VW Group which consists of money makers like Lambo, Porsche, Audi that all do extremely well in the US. Most ppl have no idea those brands are under VW group as they are managed independently for the most part unlike relationship between Lexus and Toyota.

VW brand in US is a failure now and has been for decades. This is a fact supported by financial figures.
Old 04-02-21, 11:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

We get it, you hate VW lol
Old 04-02-21, 11:49 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I am not a fan of VW's direction lately. The reason I like my GLI so much is that it's a Mk7.5 GTI in sedan clothes, even down to the infotainment.

This seems like a serious marketing mistake by VW's leadership. "Hey you know what would get some attention? An early April Fools' joke!" Uh, no...
Old 04-02-21, 02:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Of course they exist lol. In any event they haven’t developed the models specifically for the NA market they have to pull out. It’s not going to happen.
That's not true, the suv's were specifically targeted at the u.s.

I still disagree that they aren’t successful. ...
Just because they haven’t been profitable for a period of time does not mean they’re going to pull out of one of the largest car markets in the world.
They may sell 1/3m cars a year, but they lose money, year after year. And as rnm points out, that 'period of time' is like 30 years.

Besides the recent 2 utes, the reason they lose money is their cost structure is too high and their other products aren't liked/appreciated by u.s. consumers. The jetta is lame compared with a camry/accord/sonata/etc. americans don't want small hatchbacks in any significant numbers so the gti isn't appreciated.

even the utes have very plain interiors to reach a price point and not to infringe on the profitable audi products.

No he's saying they're not successful, and in that sense (they lose money, their sales, for a mainstream product line, are unimpressive), he's right.

but i agree with you they're likely not going away because the u.s. market is too important.

heck if mitsubishi is still trying, vw ain't going away.
Old 04-02-21, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's not true, the suv's were specifically targeted at the us
That’s what I said, NA means North American market.
Old 04-02-21, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That’s what I said, NA means North American market.
you wrote: "In any event they haven’t developed the models specifically for the NA market they have to pull out. It’s not going to happen." which i admit i can't follow exactly. Do you mean if they HAD NOT developed the models for NA they would have had to pull out?

Old 04-02-21, 02:32 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Mazda is more likely to die in North America than Volkswagen, after all VW is part of massive conglomerate that can afford to eat their costs. Mazda can't, which is why most of their marketing hype leads to decade-delayed products or outright vaporware.
Old 04-02-21, 02:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

you wrote: "In any event they haven’t developed the models specifically for the NA market they have to pull out. It’s not going to happen." which i admit i can't follow exactly. Do you mean if they HAD NOT developed the models for NA they would have had to pull out?
What I meant to say was “they haven’t developed these models specifically for the North American market just to pull out”

Meaning if they had any plans to pull out they wouldn’t have developed these models.
Old 04-02-21, 03:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

How do I hate VW? I’m just giving you facts and enjoy discussing automotive brands through a financial side. When you lost an argument, now you make personal assumptions? We are not in kindergarten, are we? Lol
The mis-management of some of these companies is just amazing to see and are case studies for B-school.

I have never owned or will ever own a VW - although I do have a 911 and hopefully will be adding more P cars in the future so I guess technically I’m a customer of VW group. 👍
Old 04-02-21, 03:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

What I meant to say was “they haven’t developed these models specifically for the North American market just to pull out”

Meaning if they had any plans to pull out they wouldn’t have developed these models.
If they were smart - they would have pulled out decades ago and saved their shareholders BILLIONS of Dollars. I never said they will leave but that it would be the smart choice for them to do it. Corporate Ego gets in the way of many wise decisions usually.

It will be a interesting to see who is left standing by 2035 in US market.
Old 04-02-21, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Besides the recent 2 utes, the reason they lose money is their cost structure is too high and their other products aren't liked/appreciated by u.s. consumers.
VW also loses money because of the relative unreliability and high defect-rates in their vehicles. That creates more warranty-work than is necessary (or should be necessary)

even the utes have very plain interiors to reach a price point and not to infringe on the profitable audi products.
Also, consider that a number of people by VW products simply because of their relatively simple interiors and no-nonsense control layouts. Many people don't like to fool with overly-complex controls and unnecessary menu-navigating.
Old 04-02-21, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I specifically stated VW brand in US not VW Group which consists of money makers like Lambo, Porsche, Audi that all do extremely well in the US. Most ppl have no idea those brands are under VW group as they are managed independently for the most part unlike relationship between Lexus and Toyota.

VW brand in US is a failure now and has been for decades. This is a fact supported by financial figures.
VW of America runs all of those groups. I am a bit surprised that their VW brand sales are what they are. I thought they would be much higher.
Old 04-02-21, 08:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

ah, got it now!

yes, vw is determined to become a bigger player in the u.s. given that they own electrify america and have BIG EV plans, and the recent ute successes, i'd say they're on their way, and the past challenges and losses will be just that, in the past.

Quick Reply: VW may rebrand its US arm as 'Voltswagen'