Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The undirected, specific topic free car centered chat thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 07:09 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Since we seem to routinely drift off topic when having discussions in there and still enjoyable threads wind up closed off, I figured I would start a car related chat thread that did not have a specific topic. This thread is meant for just general back and forth car, car lifestyle, auto industry related chat that has no specific topic in mind. I've seen threads like this on other forums that wound up being fun.

So, to kick it off...how is everybody's spring car prep coming? I'm so busy I haven't washed mine in a week which is super unusual for me. Anybody have any cleanup/detailing projects going on or on the horizon?
Have you tried a waterless spray wash? I find it to be quicker if the vehicle isn't to dirty.....
Old 03-30-21, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Yeah I’ve used all kinds of waterless washes, optimum no rinse etc. I use a carwash typically and quick detail afterwards, I just haven’t had time...
Old 03-30-21, 07:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve, I bought a whole pressure washer setup per your recommendation last year... to use it exactly once, lol. It's just sitting in my shed, I might take it out this weekend to at least wash the underbodies of my cars after the winter salt.
Old 03-31-21, 04:50 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I haven’t washed my cars in a while and I need to badly. I had both cars in for service this week and last and told them both to not wash the cars. I don’t like any of them washing my cars and definitely don’t want to have my cars end up looking like Och’s BMW.
Old 03-31-21, 05:47 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Moved into a new house, unfortunately the builder did a cheap epoxy finish on the garage floor, which is already lifting off. Not a big deal, will eventually have it sanded off and go with the polyurea based one that we had put in our last house.
Old 03-31-21, 06:15 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Moved into a new house, unfortunately the builder did a cheap epoxy finish on the garage floor, which is already lifting off. Not a big deal, will eventually have it sanded off and go with the polyurea based one that we had put in our last house.
Nice both you and Steve are/will be in new houses. How big is the garage? As Steve mentioned in MD/DC metro area it’s not easy to find 3-car garages although some of the new builds are starting to provide them as options. The older builds like my house in the mid 90’s had 2-car garages but they were always small 2-car garages. I am about to start a new job soon and if I build a house in the next couple years I am going for a 4-car garage.
Old 03-31-21, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Yeah the garage in the house I'm buying is pretty good, 20x20 which is pretty good sized for a 2 car. It has a concrete painted floor that wont hold up to garage use at all, have to figure out what kind of garage flooring to use. I'm going to deck it out though...my one car where I am now has gaarge carpet. wall mounted vacuum and all but it barely fits the S Class, you can't really walk around it in the garage
Old 03-31-21, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Nice both you and Steve are/will be in new houses. How big is the garage? As Steve mentioned in MD/DC metro area it’s not easy to find 3-car garages although some of the new builds are starting to provide them as options. The older builds like my house in the mid 90’s had 2-car garages but they were always small 2-car garages. I am about to start a new job soon and if I build a house in the next couple years I am going for a 4-car garage.
3-vehicle-garages are not uncommon at all in the D.C. area, but, in general, you will find them on very large, single-family homes on large tracts.....homes that easily run into seven figures instead of six.
Old 03-31-21, 07:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Yeah the garage in the house I'm buying is pretty good, 20x20 which is pretty good sized for a 2 car. It has a concrete painted floor that wont hold up to garage use at all, have to figure out what kind of garage flooring to use. I'm going to deck it out though...my one car where I am now has gaarge carpet. wall mounted vacuum and all but it barely fits the S Class, you can't really walk around it in the garage
So did you move for more space bc of Covid? Or would you have anyway? IIRC you lived in a townhome and you had mentioned moving into a house possibly.
Old 03-31-21, 07:27 AM
Trackruner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this is an off topic thread I guess I can use this to ran a little.

We have a 2006 Acura TL in the family. When DST changes come the clock automatically adjusts and you don't have to think about it.

We also have a 2016 Lexus GS 350 in the family. For whatever reason Lexus decided we should change the clock manually in that car with no option to automatically update it.

Great car, but so stupid lol
Old 03-31-21, 07:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trackruner

We have a 2006 Acura TL in the family. When DST changes come the clock automatically adjusts and you don't have to think about it.

We also have a 2016 Lexus GS 350 in the family. For whatever reason Lexus decided we should change the clock manually in that car with no option to automatically update it.

I'm teasing you a bit but oh the horror of changing the time twice a year. Lol. My old '06 TL had nothing of the kind but it was no Navi, I assume yours does have it.
Old 03-31-21, 07:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Are you considering something like Race Deck or some type of a coating? I had a coating applied and it's holding up vey well in spite of the slush and crud that melts off of the cars and sits there until I can hose or sweep it out. I would think something Race Deck would hold up pretty well too and you can replace broken or cracked tiles if necessary.

Last edited by LexBob2; 03-31-21 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 08:04 AM
Trackruner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm teasing you a bit but oh the horror of changing the time twice a year. Lol. My old '06 TL had nothing of the kind but it was no Navi, I assume yours does have it.
It really is a first world problem LOL

However, it's the only computer I am aware of anywhere in my family that didn't automatically update.

And yes it's the one with Navigation. Navigation with the 6 speed, best model they made.
Old 03-31-21, 08:05 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I'm actually curious how this works, since the beginning/end dates for daylight savings time changed two years after your TL was built.
Old 03-31-21, 08:08 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It really is a first world problem LOL

However, it's the only computer I am aware of anywhere in my family that didn't automatically update.

And yes it's the one with Navigation. Navigation with the 6 speed, best model they made.
Mine was a black on black 6 speed . That thing was quite fast, just power going to the wrong wheels and you had to keep the revs up. When I got into my LS430 it was a huggggge change lol.

Quick Reply: The undirected, specific topic free car centered chat thread!