Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The undirected, specific topic free car centered chat thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 08:14 AM
Trackruner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I'm actually curious how this works, since the beginning/end dates for daylight savings time changed two years after your TL was built.
I am guessing it's in the Navigation disc. It's the 2010 disc.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Mine was a black on black 6 speed . That thing was quite fast, just power going to the wrong wheels and you had to keep the revs up. When I got into my LS430 it was a huggggge change lol.
Yeah, it's definitely slower at lower RPM. Have to get that VTEC to kick in.

The LS430 is such an amazing beast though. My uncle bought an 03 new that my cousin now has at college. That car drives like the day he bought it.

The only thing that I think doesn't work anymore are the vents that move back and forth. Again, first world problems lol
Old 03-31-21, 08:31 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
3-vehicle-garages are not uncommon at all in the D.C. area, but, in general, you will find them on very large, single-family homes on large tracts.....homes that easily run into seven figures instead of six.
Yes I agree when you are in the million plus price range but for anything under a million they are not common and most houses around here are under a million. When you go to Florida or some other places further south it seems like even some smaller houses have 3-car garages.
Old 03-31-21, 08:34 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Are you considering something like Race Deck or some type of a coating? I had a coating applied and it's holding up vey well in spite of the slush and crud that melts off of the cars and sits there until I can hose or sweep it out. I would think something Race Deck would hold up pretty well too and you can replace broken or cracked tiles if necessary.
I have Race Deck and it does hold up pretty well but its over 10 years old now and through a number of winters it could use an overhaul. I personally like it but it really is a personal preference thing as some people don't like the hollow sound you get when walking on it.
Old 03-31-21, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
3-vehicle-garages are not uncommon at all in the D.C. area, but, in general, you will find them on very large, single-family homes on large tracts.....homes that easily run into seven figures instead of six.
It depends on where you are in the area, but 3 car garages are pretty uncommon. More common in VA than in MD. Here even on very expensive houses you rarely see 3 car garages because there just isn't the land. When you get out into Potomac or north in the county you do start to see them more, but those houses as a % of the total housing available is pretty small. Even if you're buying a $2M house in Bethesda, its likely going to have a 2 car garage.

Originally Posted by AJT123
So did you move for more space bc of Covid? Or would you have anyway? IIRC you lived in a townhome and you had mentioned moving into a house possibly.
No we've been planning this for a while, we are in a townhouse now and we need a SFH and space for the kids.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Are you considering something like Race Deck or some type of a coating? I had a coating applied and it's holding up vey well in spite of the slush and crud that melts off of the cars and sits there until I can hose or sweep it out. I would think something Race Deck would hold up pretty well too and you can replace broken or cracked tiles if necessary.
Considering both. The coatings I know the prep and install is really important to getting them to adhere...
Old 03-31-21, 08:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Considering both. The coatings I know the prep and install is really important to getting them to adhere...
To put it mildly. When I did it I sanded the floor, washed, washed again and washed again. Waited 2 weeks for it to dry. The fumes coming off the epoxy coating I used were devastating even with a respirator some still leaked in.
Old 03-31-21, 09:01 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Nice both you and Steve are/will be in new houses. How big is the garage? As Steve mentioned in MD/DC metro area it’s not easy to find 3-car garages although some of the new builds are starting to provide them as options. The older builds like my house in the mid 90’s had 2-car garages but they were always small 2-car garages. I am about to start a new job soon and if I build a house in the next couple years I am going for a 4-car garage.
3 or 4 car garage was the only thing we (read I) didn't get with our new house (pretty much impossible to find in Northern Arlington), but we got everything else. Our last home, a townhouse, was also a 2 car garage, just under 20 x 20/ New one is probably 20 wide still, but I'd guess at least 25 feet deep.

Pretty insane when you see $1,000,000+ new builds that only have a 1 car garage. That's definitely more common than a 3 car set up in this area.
Old 03-31-21, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
To put it mildly. When I did it I sanded the floor, washed, washed again and washed again. Waited 2 weeks for it to dry. The fumes coming off the epoxy coating I used were devastating even with a respirator some still leaked in.
Yeah I will likely just do tiles...
Old 03-31-21, 09:08 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve, I really liked the process that local installer Skyline Concrete Coatings is using. It's a little more expensive than epoxy, but I think a more thorough process, a more finished look, and in the few months we had it, zero issues with the quality. As opposed to the immediate epoxy issues we're having. Of course others have had better epoxy application and durability as well. Worth a quote if you like the look.
Old 03-31-21, 09:08 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

I considered it but then how do you wash the floor?

Have not had any issues with the coating, this was many years ago but the stuff was about $400.
Old 03-31-21, 09:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Steve, I really liked the process that local installer Skyline Concrete Coatings is using. It's a little more expensive than epoxy, but I think a more thorough process, a more finished look, and in the few months we had it, zero issues with the quality. As opposed to the immediate epoxy issues we're having. Of course others have had better epoxy application and durability as well. Worth a quote if you like the look.
I will check them out!

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I considered it but then how do you wash the floor?

Have not had any issues with the coating, this was many years ago but the stuff was about $400.
Depends on what type of flooring you use. I would probably not use the type where water and all drain through the tile to the floor for that reason, I would likely use a solid tile.
Old 03-31-21, 10:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

Sl

So, to kick it off...how is everybody's spring car prep coming? Anybody have any cleanup/detailing projects going on or on the horizon?
I do. As soon as I’m more mobile I’m getting my front bumper resprayed on the LS430. There’s this body shop nearly an hour away in bumfk where the work is as good as anywhere here in town but way cheaper. He quoted me $500 cash. My buddy who flips six figure cars uses this guy, when I went there last year to talk to the guy there were all kinds of high end cars there.

I bought this killer front plate months back I’ll have him mount:

Keep in mind the LS430 has classic proportions and huge expansive windows/greenhouse, combined with my window tint that’s 5%. So this chrome on black look great. On another note, speaking of these frames, a huge pet peeve of mine is when people buy a front plate of the logo that’s on the grill 6 inches above it. Never understood that.

That’s not all... A friend of mine picked these up from a seller in Atlanta for me a little while back. 10/10 condition OEM:

Michelin tires are still plenty good on them. I paid a grand which isn’t peanuts but this car finally will ride on the shoes it deserves after owning it for 9 years lol and these wheels are literally perfect condition, the seller has already told me twice he regrets selling. (I have the just ok 17s now.). Not really much of a chrome person EXCEPT on high end cars.

These new wheels plus the fixed bumper plus that front plate, oh yes. Against the brilliant mercury metallic paint.
Old 03-31-21, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I always liked those wheels. Do you have 17s on it now?
Old 03-31-21, 10:15 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

I always liked those wheels. Do you have 17s on it now?
Yes. They’re not bad, but absolutely don’t look a fraction as good on the car as these do/will.

I always wanted these wheels I just never got around to it.
Old 03-31-21, 10:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
3 or 4 car garage was the only thing we (read I) didn't get with our new house (pretty much impossible to find in Northern Arlington), but we got everything else. Our last home, a townhouse, was also a 2 car garage, just under 20 x 20/ New one is probably 20 wide still, but I'd guess at least 25 feet deep.

Pretty insane when you see $1,000,000+ new builds that only have a 1 car garage. That's definitely more common than a 3 car set up in this area.
Ah Arlington, nuff said. You are lucky to have even a two car garage there.
Old 03-31-21, 10:32 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

haven't really done much besides just a basic wash... just started a new job back in december doing auto policy sales at GEICO and there's been a lot to learn over the past few months, it's been kinda tiring and when i get home i don't really wanna first go wash my cars lol... it's all been very informative though, my main takeaways as far as how to have an affordable policy are don't get into an accident, have a license for at least 3 years, and don't live in brooklyn or the bronx lol

Quick Reply: The undirected, specific topic free car centered chat thread!