Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The undirected, specific topic free car centered chat thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts
Default The undirected, specific topic free car centered chat thread!

Since we seem to routinely drift off topic when having discussions in there and still enjoyable threads wind up closed off, I figured I would start a car related chat thread that did not have a specific topic. This thread is meant for just general back and forth car, car lifestyle, auto industry related chat that has no specific topic in mind. I've seen threads like this on other forums that wound up being fun.

So, to kick it off...how is everybody's spring car prep coming? I'm so busy I haven't washed mine in a week which is super unusual for me. Anybody have any cleanup/detailing projects going on or on the horizon?
Old 03-30-21, 01:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I still need to ceramic coat my Highlander and my GS. I have the supplies all purchased and ready to go. Now I just need some time and a few nice days.

We also purchased a travel trailer, which will be ready in May, so between now and then I need to get the Tacoma ready for towing (brake controller, mirror extensions, etc.).
Old 03-30-21, 02:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Since we seem to routinely drift off topic when having discussions in there and still enjoyable threads wind up closed off, I figured I would start a car related chat thread that did not have a specific topic. This thread is meant for just general back and forth car, car lifestyle, auto industry related chat that has no specific topic in mind. I've seen threads like this on other forums that wound up being fun.

So, to kick it off...how is everybody's spring car prep coming? I'm so busy I haven't washed mine in a week which is super unusual for me. Anybody have any cleanup/detailing projects going on or on the horizon?
I used to be on a weekly cadence but now at a 3 week cadence. Car only leaves to go on short errands or gym runs so its pretty clean. I washed yesterday though and just use 2 bucket method along with Opti-seal as drying agent to give some protection. Got it down to 1 hour total wash time
Old 03-30-21, 02:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Great idea for a thread. I learned the hard way not to do paint correction for days then top it off with a "wax" which lasts a few weeks. Now I only ceramic coat a good kit is $100 but it lasts for years.

Spring prep for me is clean up as much salt as possible from my winter beater, remove the wheels/tires clean and bag them. My other cars were put away for the winter fully detailed.
Old 03-30-21, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I still need to ceramic coat my Highlander and my GS. I have the supplies all purchased and ready to go. Now I just need some time and a few nice days.

We also purchased a travel trailer, which will be ready in May, so between now and then I need to get the Tacoma ready for towing (brake controller, mirror extensions, etc.).
Which ceramic coat did you buy to use?

Congrats in the trailer! What sort of trailer is it?

Originally Posted by EZZ
I used to be on a weekly cadence but now at a 3 week cadence. Car only leaves to go on short errands or gym runs so its pretty clean. I washed yesterday though and just use 2 bucket method along with Opti-seal as drying agent to give some protection. Got it down to 1 hour total wash time
Yeah I'm back to all my normal driving so mine get pretty dirty...

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Great idea for a thread. I learned the hard way not to do paint correction for days then top it off with a "wax" which lasts a few weeks. Now I only ceramic coat a good kit is $100 but it lasts for years.

Spring prep for me is clean up as much salt as possible from my winter beater, remove the wheels/tires clean and bag them. My other cars were put away for the winter fully detailed.
Yeah I'm a big fan of ceramic coatings...
Old 03-30-21, 03:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Which ceramic coat did you buy to use?
In the past I've used CQUK but I wasn't that thrilled with it last time so this time I'm using GTECHNIQ EXO V4 and CSL.

Congrats in the trailer! What sort of trailer is it?
Thanks! We bought a 21' Flagstaff E-Pro E20BHS. Queen bed, bunks for the kids, solid kitchen, big dinette, and a decent bathroom. Looks like this:

I may start a clubhouse thread on it when we pick it up.
Old 03-30-21, 03:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that’s the coating I used on the Mercedes, worked great!

love the camper! That’s awesome
Old 03-30-21, 03:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Yeah that’s the coating I used on the Mercedes, worked great!

love the camper! That’s awesome
Great reviews on the GTECHNIQ products, so I am looking forward to trying them out.

I hope we have a lot of fun with the camper. I am having a parking pad paved in our back yard for it, including full RV hookup, so we can make our own private backyard camping spot with a fire pit and such. I'm going to get a screen and movie projector so this summer we can have outdoor movie nights, and we can use the camper kitchen and bathroom as needed while we are out there.

It will pull fine behind the Tacoma, but I am starting to work on the wife about trading in the Highlander for an SUV that can tow so it'll be more roomy than taking the truck. The truck is plenty comfortable for the 4 of us on a trip, but gets tight with the 80 lb dog (COVID baby) on board.
Old 03-30-21, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah a nice SUV to pull it would be a good pickup. What would you look at?
Old 03-30-21, 03:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Yeah a nice SUV to pull it would be a good pickup. What would you look at?
Super good question that you ask.

My wife misses her RX350, so I think she would like to be in a Lexus again, which for us would mean a GX. They are old and out of date but I will fully admit that I love them. That would work. I don't want to go full size like a Yukon or anything.

She said if we get a big SUV then I have to give her the GS and I take the SUV. Hmmm...

Suggestions welcome for towing a 4k lb trailer, and comfortably seating a family of 4 plus a giant, goofy labradoodle... Our longest camping trip planned for this summer with the trailer is a solid 6+ hours away in southern Oregon.
Old 03-30-21, 04:01 PM
aabassi
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I washed my car last week by hand for the first time in a while. Previously had just been spraying it down with a foam cannon. The nightfall mica on our GX and the estoril blue on my S5 are both such high maintenance colors in terms of how quickly they get dirty. On the positive side, I recently have been trying a Ceramic spray wax from Car Guys and it is incredible! Applied it about two months ago and water still beads up really nicely in addition to a strong shine.
Old 03-30-21, 04:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This thread is a really great idea. One of the best ways to get members to come together. We have a manual car wash in my garage at our condominium. I use it on occasion.
Old 03-30-21, 04:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Super good question that you ask.

My wife misses her RX350, so I think she would like to be in a Lexus again, which for us would mean a GX. They are old and out of date but I will fully admit that I love them. That would work. I don't want to go full size like a Yukon or anything.

She said if we get a big SUV then I have to give her the GS and I take the SUV. Hmmm...

Suggestions welcome for towing a 4k lb trailer, and comfortably seating a family of 4 plus a giant, goofy labradoodle... Our longest camping trip planned for this summer with the trailer is a solid 6+ hours away in southern Oregon.
You need a GX Lexus. The 4R is too low for 4K. You will find the air suspension and adaptive suspension very beneficial for keeping your vehicle levelled. v8 will go a long long way as well. Before I swapped out the air in my 04 4R, it towed our small boat and trailer really well as when you load up the trailer and 4R, there is no squat. Now it is just regular suspension out back.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-30-21 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 04:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I hand wash the GS and the Highlander, but I bought a membership to our local car wash for the Tacoma because it stays outside so it more frequently needs to be washed, and frankly, I don't want to hand wash it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that truck, but it's a truck. I can deal with swirls and what not.
Old 03-30-21, 07:01 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by aabassi
On the positive side, I recently have been trying a Ceramic spray wax from Car Guys and it is incredible! Applied it about two months ago and water still beads up really nicely in addition to a strong shine.
I as well, also like the spray ceramic's....I've been using sealants for yrs, mostly Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant. Would like to try the Wolfgang Si02 paint sealant. Between the Mothers spray ceramic, Meguiars Hybrid ceramic & Turtle wax ceramic spray, I find the Turtle wax ceramic to work the best believe it or not. I also use Wolfgangs Uber compound using a 5.5'' m/f pads, followed up w/ Wolfgangs finishing glaze, using a 5.5'' black pads. Even thou the Uber compound is by Menzerna & is so close to their FG400, I like the finish a tad better. Yea IK its some what more, I find its worth it, time wise & how the product just works & has a long work time as well, & it comes off so easy as well....I use a Boss 15 w/ 5.5'' pads......Down the road, I'd like to get a Rupes duetto, p/c style housing.

Quick Reply: The undirected, specific topic free car centered chat thread!